Active cults in California
Posted by: Serano G. ()
Date: May 05, 2013 09:13PM

I'm co-authoring a nonfiction book that details the experiences of four cult survivors, and am trying to gather all the information I can about cults, especially small to medium-sized ones in California that are currently (as of 2013) active. If anyone has experiences or knowledge that is relevant to this subject I'd be very appreciative if they could share it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Active cults in California
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: May 05, 2013 09:19PM

Posted by: renworb ()
Date: June 20, 2013 10:08PM

Hello Serano G.
I am brand new to this forum and I may have some info that may be relevant to you. my family and I were in a very small "Bible-based" Christian cult in Southern California. We have been out of it for almost two years now and the people involved kind of scattered and I am not sure where they are now. Our experiences were pretty horrific and looking back, I don't know why it took us so long to "figure it out".
I can give you some names but they are so small they are kind of off the radar.
The leader is Larry Herlong. His website is: LaHerlong.com. There is a married couple who are directly under him: Matt and Leah Swogger. They would manipulate, distort and take scripture out of context for their own self-serving purposes. Larry claimed to a prophet, yet when NONE of his so-called prophecies came to pass he (and the Swoggers) would blame, blame and blame some more and never be accountable.
There is also an off shoot ministry based in California run by Kevin and Lisa Kurker called 'theglorifiedchurch.com'. I could fill a book with specific details of some of the outrageous things they did and said to us during our time with them and will share some if it would be helpful to you.

Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: June 22, 2013 09:35AM

Looking for abusive and controlling groups (and members of) in CA would be like looking for Catholics in Rome: you won't have to search long to find some.

I could spend an hour (at least) telling you about some of the strange groups and people who I have encountered out there.

Probably the most memorable of these was a group calling itself the Temple of Higher Consciousness (T.H.C.). I got the impression (on my visit many years ago) that they were some kind of New Agey cannabis-worshiping cult.

When I met them (in Escondido in 2008) they were having a feast of sorts, and they were slathering potent "cannabutter" all over everything.

Their (ostensible) leader was a middle-aged woman who called herself TES.

Yeah, I'll never forget the T.H.C. group.

Actually, I once wrote of them here:

[forum.culteducation.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.