Posted by: mjr40 ()
Date: July 14, 2006 08:43AM

Hi all -

Some intel on the Jews for Jesus cult:
- Major recruiting push over the past few weeks in NYC
- Handing out massive amounts of pamphlets on streets of midtown Manhattan
- Cult members have new t-shirts for this year's recruiting season
- Overhead ads on subways
- New website that transposes the name to make it seem like it is NOT part of the cult, when in fact it is: www.JesusForJews.org.
- Offering free book to recruits

As a side note, they have a story about a guy who was married to a woman in the cult; notice how much tension cultic psychology produces in the marriage:
[www.jesusforjews.org]

Be careful out there,
Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Jews for Jesus cult - major recruiting drive in NYC
Posted by: carl ()
Date: October 23, 2006 01:26PM

When I saw them first, I thoguht it was cool that Jews dig Jesus. I thought they were established for a long time, and wasn't nothing wrong with them. Why are you posting them up in this kind of forum?

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: October 23, 2006 08:01PM

carl:

"Jews for Jesus" is a fundamentalist Christian missionary organization that targets Jews for coversion.

It was founded by an ordained Baptist minister and hasn't been around for that long.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Posted by: feedthe5000 ()
Date: October 23, 2006 09:07PM

mjr40
Hi all -

- New website that transposes the name to make it seem like it is NOT part of the cult, when in fact it is: www.JesusForJews.org.

As a side note, they have a story about a guy who was married to a woman in the cult; notice how much tension cultic psychology produces in the marriage:
[www.jesusforjews.org]

Be careful out there,
Matt

First let me say that i am not affiliated with this group,
but the stuff you listed does not quaify people to be a "cult".

I read through RR information on Jews of Jesus. It seems to me that Jews are just upset that this group is trying to convert people, in which they believe the bible says to spread the good news. This does not seem dangerous to me. Yes there have been some cases against them, but from what I have read most are misunderstandings, and yes maybe they should have thought about their tactics a little more. If you want to talk about David Koresh or something like that, that is one thing. As far as I understand people are free to come and go in Jews for Jesus as they like. They don't have a leader who is trying to brainwash them or take them away from famalies.

Date: October 23, 2006 09:14PM

It is not stated by the Ross Institute that the "Jews for Jesus" organization is a "cult."

See [board.culteducation.com]

And also [www.culteducation.com]

This fundamentalist Christian missionary organization was started up by an ordained Baptist minister.

This group upsets Jews and many Christians for two primary reasons;

1. The misleading information it spreads about Jews and Judaism.

2. The Anti-Semitic implications of targeting Jews for special missionary consideration.

Date: October 23, 2006 09:31PM

rrmoderator
It is not stated by the Ross Institute that the "Jews for Jesus" organization is a "cult."

See [board.culteducation.com]

And also [www.culteducation.com]

This fundamentalist Christian missionary organization was started up by an ordained Baptist minister.

This group upsets Jews and many Christians for two primary reasons;

1. The misleading information it spreads about Jews and Judaism.

2. The Anti-Semitic implications of targeting Jews for special missionary consideration.

Let me explain, the person that I was responding to called it a cult.
I simply just stated that I read through RR and I came to the conclusion it wasnt.

As far as misleading information I don't know that for sure, especially if most of them were Jews. to me it would seem they would know what Judiasm is about.

I think anyone would target a group that they associated with at one time in hopes to give them something better.

Like if I was a druggie at one time, then naturally I would target other druggies to tell them how I came over it.

Im not saying Jews are like druggies in any sorts. Im just using the example of what a person would do.

Or another example If I was a recovering alchoholic, my target audience would not be someone who was addicted to something else, but to other alchoholics.

I just don't think if they are targeting Jews makes them anti-semitic, just they come from a jewish background they can relate to.

Im sure as in all things there are bad apples in every category.

Date: October 23, 2006 09:40PM

mjr40
Hi all -

[www.jesusforjews.org]

Be careful out there,
Matt

Sorry one more thing to respond to. I read the link that you have provided. The way you posted it misleading. The guy's wife excepted Jesus into her life and wanted to what she could, He was angry bc he didn't understand why she was so dedicated to her faith. Even at the end he said he had to let go of his anger, he also except Jesus into his live and belived in what she believed. This was not a story of a marriage becoming a reck bc of Jew of Jesus, but a story of somone who didnt understand why Jesus made an impact in his wife Life.

Date: October 23, 2006 09:40PM

feedthe5000:

You are not making much sense here.

First of all, if Jewish organizations say the group is not Jewish, its participants are not Jews and statements otherwise are misleading.

Some of the so-called "Jews for Jesus" were once Jewish, but converted to fundamentalist Christianity.

Former or apostate Jews that have rejected Judaism and embraced an outside religious belief system are not a reliable source regarding Judaism and its practices, but rather have their own religious agenda.

Again, the founder of the group "Jews for Jesus" is a Baptist minister.

The article you cite as being "misleading" is not.

"Jews for Jesus" missionary activities caused a couple problems because of a conversion. But you have chosen to see the facts otherwise through a theological perspective.

Date: October 23, 2006 09:57PM

rrmoderator
feedthe5000:

First of all, if Jewish organizations say the group is not Jewish, its participants are not Jews and statements otherwise are misleading.

Some of the so-called "Jews for Jesus" were once Jewish, but converted to fundamentalist Christianity.

Former or apostate Jews that have rejected Judaism and embraced an outside religious belief system are not a reliable source regarding Judaism and its practices, but rather have their own religious agenda.

Exactly

He is a Baptist Minister who used to be Jewish, when he came to Christ naturally he wanted to share with other Jews on how Christ impacted his Life.

According to Wikipedia
Judaism shares some of the characteristics of a nation, an ethnicity, a religion, and a culture, making the definition of who is a Jew vary slightly depending on whether a religious or national approach to identity is used. For discussions of the religious views on who is a Jew and how these views differ from each other, please see Who is a Jew?. Generally, in modern secular usage, Jews include three groups: people who practice Judaism and have a Jewish ethnic background (sometimes including those who do not have strictly matrilineal descent), people without Jewish parents who have converted to Judaism; and those Jews who, while not practicing Judaism as a religion, still identify themselves as Jewish by virtue of their family's Jewish descent and their own cultural and historical identification with the Jewish people.[/color:1acd295494]

Also according to Jewsfaq.com
Who is a Jew?

A Jew is any person whose mother was a Jew or any person who has gone through the formal process of conversion to Judaism.

It is important to note that being a Jew has nothing to do with what you believe or what you do[/color:1acd295494]. A person born to non-Jewish parents who has not undergone the formal process of conversion but who believes everything that Orthodox Jews believe and observes every law and custom of Judaism is still a non-Jew, even in the eyes of the most liberal movements of Judaism, and a person born to a Jewish mother who is an atheist and never practices the Jewish religion is still a Jew[/color:1acd295494], even in the eyes of the ultra-Orthodox. In this sense, Judaism is more like a nationality than like other religions, and being Jewish is like a citizenship. See What Is Judaism?

This has been established since the earliest days of Judaism. In the Torah, you will see many references to "the strangers who dwell among you" or "righteous proselytes" or "righteous strangers." These are various classifications of non-Jews who lived among Jews, adopting some or all of the beliefs and practices of Judaism without going through the formal process of conversion and becoming Jews. Once a person has converted to Judaism, he is not referred to by any special term; he is as much a Jew as anyone born Jewish.

If an athesit can still be a jew why not someone who converts to a christian?

Date: October 23, 2006 10:03PM

rrmoderator
feedthe5000:

The article you cite as being "misleading" is not.

"Jews for Jesus" missionary activities broke up a couple through a conversion, but you have chosen to see the facts otherwise through a theological perspective.

The article that the person referred us to. The couple did not break up, his wife died in the hospital due to a reaction to medicine.

I am not debating theological perpective, im a debating that there is nothing wrong with a christian holding on to some of their jewish background.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.