Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Sedona, Az.: Cult Central?
Posted by: bonnie ()
Date: August 19, 2005 04:52AM

Sedona, Arizona is considered by many to be The Place for new-age thinking in the US. For a small town, (10,192 people in 2000), it also seems to me to have an extremely high density of sketchy religious organizations.

Just to name a few:

Osho
Eckankar
Course in Miracles
Blue Rose Ministry (extraterrestrials, channelling)
SIF and other Krishna groups
Gabriel of Sedona
Moonies (possibly just a rumor)
The work, Byron Katy
The Sedona Method
Many flying saucer cults
Many independent "gurus" of all kinds
Many "chanellers", "shamans", "psychics", "energy workers", "reiki masters" and "spiritual healers"
Beaucoup Mormons
Every "Christian" splinter sect mentioned on the forums
Caucasian-led groups centered on alledgedly Native American spirituality
The most cultic AA and NA I have ever experienced anywhere
"Vortices", some kind of geological/spiritual/cosmic energy nexi

I'd like to hear more about the "Cults of Sedona". Maybe there are so many because of the high numbers of artists and Hollywood ex-pats.
It's curious, though, that such a hotbed of radical belief is located in such a staunchly conservative, (dare I say red-neck?), state.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BuddyBear ()
Date: August 19, 2005 02:05PM

You forgot to mention Dahn Yoga.

Their intention is to build a spiritual UN there. They are busy buying up property all over Sedona. They already own over 80 acres(possibly 160) on Bill Gray Road and a trailer park as well as a coffee shop and supposedly a radio station. I think it will end up like that place in Oregon with that Yogi who had his brainwashed cult members take over some town by moving in roughly 300,000 followers.

This is the general plan, but with some luck and divine(cosmic) intervention ilchi lee (the founder of dahn yoga) will be arrested for all of his perverse indiscretions business and otherwise.

Please check out www.newdahn.com/usa for a dose of reality regarding this dangerous cult.

Posted by: Toni ()
Date: August 19, 2005 10:23PM

Oh yes, Sedona (don't even get me going).
My cult mother retiring there next month.
She has a degree from some Metaphysical University that is relocating there. (they gave her credit for her TM teaching for decades, and then work w/ various channelers.... )

Drive through Sedona and every other business is "mother-father earth goddess massage therapy and aura reading"

Date: August 20, 2005 04:12AM

I just remembered, the Seventh Day Adventists bought up a lot of land along one spring-fed creek; I thought they probably wanted the water, and they own the spring source. There is a substantial amount of water on that property, and I think they are into survivalism?
But then I heard that the place is being sold for Condominiums, so who knows what's really going on. They (adventists) didn't manage to buy the whole length of the creek, anyway.

Love to hear more about Sedona Cults, so thanks, and keep those letters rollin' in!

Date: August 20, 2005 04:18AM

Is it Dahn Yoga that bought that retreat center outside if Cottonwood, I believe on Bill Grey Road? I thought that was supposed to go to the Moonies, (at least that's what I heard from the old managers of the place). Did the Moonies ever get here?

In 1992 or 1993 the Heaven's Gate Cult showed up recruiting in Jerome.
Guess they're all gone, now.javascript:':lol:'

Posted by: Concerned Mom ()
Date: August 20, 2005 10:06AM

I believe there is also a large group of Urantia followers.

Does anyone know anything about this cult?

Posted by: BuddyBear ()
Date: August 21, 2005 11:18AM

Yes. Ilchi Lee purchased the property formerly owned by Lester Levinson. Lester Levinson is even buried there near the horse stables. Ilchi Lee has dubbed him Saint Lester Levinson. Lester Levinson was the creator of the Sedona Method.

They have plans to take up alot of Sedona. If their past immoral and illegal acts are any indication of what can be expected of them, it is time to move.

Residents Beware!!!

Posted by: mjr40 ()
Date: August 24, 2005 02:08AM

Bonnie -

Like you, I used to think that there was something about my hometown of NYC that drew cults here in high numbers. But now I have come to the conclusion that whether it is NYC or Sedona, the thing that attracts cults in high numbers is only one thing - money. If there is money to manipulated/forced/coerced/stolen from members, the cults will be there. While cults do exist in poorer and working class communities, it seems that people who are under more financial pressure will have less time, energy and money to devote to cults. This may be a bit of a generalization, since cultic extremist groups like Arayan Nations and the Nation of Islam are active in communities where large numbers of people feel isolated and cut off from the larger American socioeconomic mainstream.

For the record, here are some of the larger cultic groups active in NYC, a city of 10 million people, with a metropolitan area of 30 million, one of the largest metropolises on Earth:
- Opus Dei (North American HQ in NYC, 243 Lexington Ave)
- Legion of Christ
- Jews for Jesus
- Lubavitchers (world headquarters in NYC)
- Jehovah's Witnesses (world headquarters(?) in NYC
- Scientology
- Kabbalah
- Landmark Education/Forum (regional hQ)
- Falun Dafa (world headquarters in NYC)
- Unification Church/Moonies (world headquarters in NYC)
- Church of Christ, NY Division
- Nation of Islam
- Mormons (actively do street recruiting)

- Hari Krishna (street recruiting)
- numbers of New Age/eastern meditation groups that recruit through the Learning Annex

Peace,
Matt

Date: August 24, 2005 03:33AM

Yeah, money is probably a big factor.
But if you don't think Sedona has a higher percentage per population, visit and see. I mean, it's a small[/size:2a2978ca05] town. NYC is big[/size:2a2978ca05].
I think you can't disregard the gullibility factor.
Believe me, Sedona is different.
Anyone got any more cults for me to add to the list?
:P

Posted by: Toni ()
Date: August 24, 2005 03:39AM

mjr40
Bonnie -

Like you, I used to think that there was something about my hometown of NYC that drew cults here in high numbers. But now I have come to the conclusion that whether it is NYC or Sedona, the thing that attracts cults in high numbers is only one thing - money.

You mean they're NOT attracted by the higher vibratory rate of the geogrpahical magnetic pulls on the planet??? or the special energy vortexes??

Oh nooo... What are we coming to??? :lol:

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.