"The 4400" - TV show dares to hint at Scientology
Posted by: Peyton_Place ()
Date: July 11, 2005 10:23AM

The new SF show "The 4400" is a hoot if you follow what's happening in the CoS.

While the show is about a group of people returned to Earth after mysterious disappearances (ostensibly sent to the future, then sent back to save the world), a charismatic leader arises among the group and begins a special 4400 Center, which targets movie stars and other celebrities.

The 4400 who have returned are allowed to use the Center, and take classes at no charge. Normal people can join and "unlock their potential" by taking training and "clearing" different levels, but for a extremely expensive price.

On tonight's episode, a drug addict is encouraged to join the 4400 center to free herself from addiction. While her new amulet also infers AA and 12-step programs, my immediate thought was of Narconon...

It'll be interesting to see whether the writer/producers dare to integrate a Sea Org-like organization into the plot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: f0rTyLeGz ()
Date: July 12, 2005 12:22AM

I've been amazed at how CNN achors have treated Tom Cruise and his scientology rants as somehow normal... his girl friend managed by OT's, and his opinions about psychiatry as normal. I think it's a perfect time for the whole house of cards to tumble.

Posted by: Peyton_Place ()
Date: October 01, 2005 01:10AM

Just wanted to bump this and mention that "The 4400" is going into some interesting territory, presenting one of the main characters as a messiah-like figure.

"Battlestar Galactica" is another critically-acclaimed SF show in which two religious paths seem to be headed for a showdown. The Cylons, which have evolved into cyborgs, believe there is only one God, but there are growing numbers of dissenters ... their "follow or die" attitude is like a cult; the heroic humans are, by contrast, pantheistic and being hunted down. This summary really doesn't do the show justice - it's very well-written and acted, intelligent, and not afraid to paint in shades of grey.

It's a very exciting time to be watching cable TV - there are several high quality shows out there. The important thing is that the well-written shows might get viewers to stop and think twice about authoritarian religion, government and more.

Posted by: Dynamix ()
Date: October 05, 2005 01:14PM

ROFL, I think I need to watch this 4400 show.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.