Rabbi Fried
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: March 05, 2003 02:56AM

Rabbi Fried is another Rabbi Carlebach inspired outreach type. But he really doesn't use the hard sell approach. Actually, he never told me to put on tefillin, wear a yalmulka (except inside the shul which I do anyway as most Jews do), or keep kosher.
Like Shlomo or maybe more than Shlomo, he's not pushy.
He started the 8th Street Shul project because he wanted an outreach center in the East Village. It bombed.
He's not really a professional outreach worker but he's looking for another building to take over. I'll keep my eye on it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Rabbi Fried
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: March 05, 2003 10:13PM

Although it was an orthodox synagogue, everyone was welcome. Rabbi Fried never put a trip over on anyone's head which is why I associated with him. But other members of the shul did. There always were people who would call me an "apikorsus" (heretic), try to get me to change the way I lived etc.. I was at the synagogue for about 3 years until I decided to focus on my area in NJ.
Rabbi Fried made me his "assistant rabbi". He's friends with Yeshua Witt, who's Shlomo Carlebach's #1 man in Israel. So I went back a long ways with all of this. But after Shlomo passed away, it seems that some people in the Carlebach movement are trying to turn it into another die hard chassidic movement and all of Shlomo's soft touch is being set aside for a more powerful membership drive.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.