The Way Of THe Heart - Cult
Posted by: Ziggy ()
Date: October 15, 2011 10:56AM

Hi everyone,

I have been doing a ton of research on how the mind works in terms of programming with such things as bad childhood experiences, Post Traumatic Stress Disorders (PTSD) ... etc. The book I have just finished reading is " The Brain That Changes Itself " by Norman Doidge, M.D. which explains how traumatic life events can hard wire the brain to basically cause behavioural disorders. As an example, soldiers that go through severe stress can develop PTSD, or repeated thoughts of stressful events, and if the PTSD is not dealt with, all sorts of behavioural problems can develop. One way of looking at how the brain can develop new wiring essentially by passing old brain wiring related to PTSD is to reprogram the brain's thinking patterns with talk therapy, drugs, and repeated body movements - the brain can rewire new thinking paths and throw out old thinking paths. The Way Of The Heart uses such techniques talked about in the book I previously mentioned dealing with the subject of "Neuroplasticity" - finger tapping and repeated hand movements are a form of triggering parts of the brain to make new neural networks. The Way Of The Heart uses this finger tapping technique with the notion of connecting to a higher power "The Devine", yet in a round about way it is taught the individual is a form of the Devine. Essentially the finger tapping and Devine thought patterns go hand in hand to form new neural programming, until the individual seccumbs to complete reprogramming (brain washing). In other words whatever is verbal is re-enforced with finger tapping Neuroplasticity programming. I have seen this first hand, and know one of the Cult leaders is well versed in psychology ... etc. The Way Of The Heart cult based on Ken Wilber's foundational thinking appears to be pulling some dirty mind control techniques involving Neuroplasticity programming meant for good brain re-programming for people who need to forget past memories.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Way Of THe Heart - Cult
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: October 15, 2011 07:41PM

This ties in to an earlier thread here.

[forum.culteducation.com]

And we have to be careful. Doiges findings may have "possible medical utility" but that remains to be tested.

This article from The Globe and Mail, published this year, states that this is still a work in progress and no final conclusions have been made. Doige has a dot com website and his book is getting massive publicity in the lay world. That is not the same as having oness work validated by idendependent research.

Now, two Toronto doctors, a general practitioner and a medical biophysicist, are laying claim to a research innovation that could expand our knowledge exponentially.

Using one of the earliest imaging technologies, the electroencephalograph (EEG), Mark Doidge and Joseph Mocanu have written software that creates dynamic, real-time, three-dimensional colour movies of the brain.

If their research is validated, it could revolutionize neuroscience – and, not incidentally, make them a fortune. But while the software is proven, its application to medical treatment has yet to be clinically tested in traditional, double-blind studies.

“We usually think of cameras as looking out at the world,” Dr. Doidge said. “This is a new kind of camera. It gives you a window on your mind.”

It’s not a camera in the conventional sense. Instead, adapting an algorithm known as eLORETA, the software amplifies EEG signals from 32 electrodes attached to the cerebral cortex, and converts them into colour-coded movies of neuronal activity. In a brain divided in more than 6,200 voxels (3D pixels), the algorithm infers and maps where electrical events are occurring. The movie can then be watched in real time, recorded and played back on computer screens.

One significant advantage of the Doidge/Mocanu invention – dubbed dynamic electrical cortical imaging (DECI) – is speed. Other imaging technologies snap pictures of the brain once every few seconds. DECI takes visual impressions less than 1/1,000 of a second apart – in virtual real-time.

If validated by clinical studies, the technology could have far-reaching implications for diagnosis and treatment of pain, sleep and other behavioural disorders, as well as neurological diseases and dementias. By identifying the location and dynamics that underlie EEG abnormalities, clinical trials might, for example, lead to an early test for evidence of Alzheimer’s.

“I’m not claiming this is the be-all and end-all or that it’s ready for prime time,” insisted Dr. Doidge, 55. “Certainly we need clinical studies. But I do think we have advanced the science. And it’s only going to get better.”

Among the scientific community, reaction to DECI has varied from cautious endorsement to curious skepticism. After seeing two demonstrations, Dr. Shapiro, who heads Toronto Western Hospital’s sleep clinic, said the technology “clearly has a lot of under-realized potential. It’s a novel idea. They’re on the threshold.”

Ze’ev Seltzer, who runs the University of Toronto’s Centre for the Study of Pain, called Dr. Doidge “a genius. Look, I don’t know him. He’s not a friend. I have no equity. But what I saw astonished me. Of course, the questions it gives rise to are, ‘How do you correlate these images? How do you make meaning out of it?’ And he needs resources, money, to be able to do that.”

Elizabeth Munro, business development manager of Ontario’s Centres of Excellence, calls the technology “pretty neat … a movie of the brain that is not invasive and not expensive.” Ms. Munro, who has a background in neuroscience, says the OCE is waiting for Dr. Doidge to get the invention to the next stage, before evaluating it for investment.

Other neuroscientists are more wary. Aaron Newman, a neurologist at Dalhousie University’s Neuroscience Institute, said algorithms used to localize the sources of EEG signals “are often unreliable in their accuracy.” In general, said Dr. Newman, localizing EEG signals is a “problem fundamentally ill-posed in the language of mathematics and physics.”

Dr. Doidge, whose firm has received about $300,000 in federal funding, acknowledges the debate about the emerging field of source localization. But he notes that pubmed – an online data base of medical journal articles – has published more than 500 peer-reviewed articles on the subject. Peer review means that a panel of objective experts have read the research and validated its science, if not its conclusions.

“Since its inception 20 years ago, many naysayers have attacked source localization,” Dr. Doidge allowed, “but there are also many supporters.”

The electroencephalograph is medicine’s oldest brain-imaging technique – invented by German scientist Joseph Berger in 1924. In the decades since, other modalities – computer tomography (CT scan), positron emission tomography (PET scan), functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and magneto-encephalography (MEG) – have added significantly to our knowledge. But as Dr. Newman noted, “there is no one ‘killer app’– each technology has its strengths and weaknesses.”

MEG, for example, is more precise, but costs millions of dollars and is immobile. PET scans, relying on nuclear isotope imaging, expose subjects to potentially significant amounts of radiation. Functional MRIs, which measure blood oxygen changes in relation to neural activity, are safe, but difficult to interpret.

Indeed, all of the brain-mapping technologies require inferential reasoning – the necessary art of medicine to complement the hard science.

What’s surprising about Cerebral Diagnostics, the company that has applied for a worldwide patent on its research, is that neither Dr. Doidge nor Dr. Mocanu have conventional backgrounds in neuroscience.

Dr. Doidge, the son of a Holocaust survivor (father) and a psychologist – his brother is writer and psychiatrist Norman Doidge, author of the bestselling The Brain That Changes Itself – maintains a downtown Toronto practice in travel medicine. With a long professional interest in the mysteries of the brain, he says he’s spent several years and about half a million dollars developing the DECI project. It’s part of an eclectic range of interests that includes a still-unpublished manuscript on the roots of nazism.

Dr. Mocanu, 30, the son of a Romanian nuclear engineer, did his PhD in medical biophysics at the University of Toronto, worked as a video game programmer, spent a few years working with Dr. Doidge, took an MBA from the Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario, and then went to Taiwan to study Chinese.

“A skeptic of our work might ask, ‘What additional insights are we bringing that an ordinary EEG doesn’t do?’ ” Dr. Mocanu said. “The algorithm itself has been around for a while. But very few people have thought to apply it in real time, so that you can collect real-time data, analyze it for instant diagnoses and triage.”

Its first real test will likely come at Toronto Western Hospital’s sleep clinic – a clinical study to help determine what makes sleep restorative. “There’s a debate in the medical literature about whether deep sleep – delta waves – consists of one stage or two,” explained Dr. Shapiro. “By showing whether those waves originate from the same or different places in the brain, we could potentially make that determination. If there’s a difference in location, you’re going to think there’s a difference in function. And I know of no other technique that could potentially set that apart.”

That, conceded Dr. Newman, “is a feasible research question, and certainly there's a place for privately funded R&D. The team at Cerebral Diagnostics may have the skills to do the research they're claiming. But I’d be more optimistic if it were coming from people with a proven track record and whose work had the credentials of scientific peer review. I've seen a lot of people attempt to reliably use EEG source localization clinically, and so far there are no standard-of-care solutions out there. Maybe these guys will beat the odds, but I wouldn't put my money on this racehorse. We are focusing on other technologies.”

However, the value of an imaging technology, countered Dr. Doidge, “is not determined solely by the accuracy of localization algorithms.” Spatial and time factors also need to be factored in.

Beyond its possible medical utility, Dr. Doidge has also set up a consumer application, called Portrait of Your Mind, offering colour photographs (about $700) and/or a 90-minute movie in colour (about $5,000) of the brain in action.

Published on Friday, Feb. 04, 2011 7:20PM EST

Date: October 16, 2011 02:35AM

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry if I jumped the gun with my findings. Seems that the finger tapping which seems really weird when one see's it, connects with Doidge's literature - seen this tapping stuff and other type of odd techniques done by The Way Of The Heart, and it really seems like there must be a method to their purposes, because it appears that The Way Of The Heart is growing in members. Me and other people I have talked to are very suspicious of their members behaviour - odd stuff.

Date: October 16, 2011 08:01AM

Ziggy, you didnt jump the gun. The way stuff is published, it can be very difficult to tell whether someone is offering something that has been backed up by well designed experiments repeated by different research teams and yielding consistent results.

Just in case you're interested, here is a paper by Beyerstein .

[www.sld.cu]

Date: October 24, 2011 08:35PM

Thanks corboy,

I read the article link you gave "www.sld.cu", by Beyerstein. An excellent article, and although a few years old (1996), the same scam jobs in those days are still alive today. I don't have personal experience with all the information discussed, but from my research and experience, I need to be careful on separating truth from perceived truth. In other words, in my trying to untwist the New Age B.S. which has found it's way into my family, I read information that I believe sound, and find that I must be careful of all information. I am guessing, there may be money making scams that claim to debunk New Age theories without sound evidence to de-bunk anything, simply to make a buck from people looking for sound answers against New Age thinking.

Where is good information that explains NLP - I have heard of this, unsure what it really is.

Thanks

Date: October 24, 2011 09:46PM

Go do a search, select "all dates" and put in key words like

nested loops

Ericksonian

also, do "all dates" and put in The Anticult and also Walter1963 in the author slot.

The Anticult tells us the exact methods (put in washing machine and all dates and you get Anticult's analysis of a story about a washing machine as used by a skilled operator)

Walter1963 gives excellent historic overviews

Date: May 22, 2012 09:27AM

THE WAY OF THE HEART CULT - DISOWNING FAMILY MEMBERS

Previous Post

A brother with new and strange behaviour after becoming a Way Of The Heart Member, and disconnecting from his family, when the family asked question about his involvement with The Way OF The Heart ... etc.

New Information:

Another case of a Way Of The Heart Member, leaving their siblings and parents when their family members disagree with The Way Of The Heart entirely - mind control, brain washing, poor behaviour ... etc

YES, without going into detail, for over a year, one of the heavies of The Way Of The Heart has disowned their own family, after cult founders in the area were questioned about rude behaviour towards its non-beleivers - rather, people who see this cult as garbage and were treated poorly by its founding members - basically used for money, and work. Feedback from people associated with the cult, but not on a cult basis, suggests that poor excuses which make no sense, are the reason(s) why this founding cult member has left their own family

In a nut shell, the founding member got caught being a 100% hypocrite, looking for free work again from family members, and were in a verbal corner with no way out, when being questioned about their Way Of The Heart reasonings which pointed to outright disrespect of family members for self gain.
This founding member is now not a part of their family in any way, as far as evidence has shown, with no explanation to their leaving ... etc. Just Gone!! Sad but true, it is peaceful without them, but, if only they could pull their head out of their _ _ S, a family could be a family again.

Looks like another case of running away from enquiring minds who might be of threat to breaking up a money making scam -THE WAY OF THE HEART.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.