Hate leader William Pierce is dead
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 14, 2002 08:24PM

William Pierce, who wrote the book "The Turner Diaries," which became an obsession with Oklahoma bomber Timothy McVeigh, died recently. He led a group called the "National Alliance" in West Virginia. Can a group centered around a charismatic figure like Pierce survive a leader's death? Or will it fade away? Some experts say the group will fade away without Pierce. What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RU?ing ()
Date: April 27, 2006 03:05AM

Any update on this group?

Is the book the only connection with this group to McVeigh?

Posted by: dwest ()
Date: August 06, 2006 01:13AM

McVeigh had called the National Alliance several times prior to the bombing.
[www.prejudiceinstitute.org]

1995 Timothy McVeigh, aided by Army pal Terry Nichols, blows up the Oklahoma City federal building, killing 168 people. The day before, officials say, McVeigh called a National Alliance recorded message line seven times.
[www.splcenter.org]

As for your question if it is still around.

"It's on shaky ground," Roy said. "It's gone from 1,500 members (nationwide) to 500 or 600 members. They've gone from 17 paid employees up at their compound down to two or three volunteers."

But while the organization seems to be limping, Roy said it's too early to write it off.
[www.culteducation.com]

In decline since the 2002 death of founder William Pierce, the National Alliance has been barely functioning since the spring of 2005. Constant infighting and acrimony directed against the leadership of Erich Gliebe, who took over the group after Pierce died, and Shaun Walker, who became the chief operating officer, culminated in April when Gliebe and Walker purged a number of the group's most-established and active members. The deposed activists formed a new group, National Vanguard, which quickly won the support of some of the organization's local units across the nation - which in many cases have continued to thrive despite turmoil in the national headquarters.
[www.adl.org]

I know I am bringing this old post back to life, but I was doing research on National Alliance anyway so I thought I might as well share.

Posted by: ughaibu ()
Date: August 13, 2006 11:17AM

Groups survive the death of their originator if their literature is sufficiently authoritative. How significant is the book to this group?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.