Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: January 10, 2010 06:05AM

The comment above/below by an SGI-USA member is fascinating. It actually summarizes basically the entire SGI program for the the USA, where SGI modified how SGI operates from other areas, like Japan.

They start with skepticism, just like the SGI-USA website, to target the average westerner who is fed up with religion.
They say they don't really want any money but will take your money, that they are cool, no one bugs you, no one pressures you, make new friends and relationships, the UN stuff, its all about non-violence, peace, and be happy.

What is amusing, is how deliberately its laid out.
In fact, even SGI-USA is very high pressure, people BUG you like crazy, always trying to get you into the SGI. There is intense money-seeking, as proven many times.
The "friendships" are totally conditional on SGI, and if you criticize them, SGI members will try to smear you, even after your untimely death.

But you can just see how its constructed. SGI learned that the SGI Japan method does not work well in the USA. So they modified it, almost exactly as stated.
They try to make it sound casual and cool, and about hippies and Martin Luther King.
Its a totally cynical manipulation, right from Ikeda and his advisors.

They must have written it into a one-page bullet point agenda, about how SGI is to be marketed as SGI-USA, and that SGI internet person just posted it by the book.
SGI has very sophisticated marketing.

______QUOTE_______________

... I've always been VERY suspicious of all organized religions (as possible money-making schemes or ways for perverts or power-trippers to take advantage of people) but after 3 years as a member I have to say, being part of SGI is the best thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life, and that's saying a lot. I don't give them any money (unless I feel like it, because I want to support such a cool group) no one bothers me or asks me to do anything I don't want to do, and I've gotten to know a lot of really wonderful members in my area and made friends with members around the world (we're in 190 countries and are incorporated as an NGO under the United Nations.) I've learned a lot about respecting other cultures, non-violence, and the importance of promoting peace and happiness for all people.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: January 10, 2010 02:46PM

I have no proof but I wouldn't put it past the incredibly skillful SGI PR machine to plant outlandish stories and videos so they can turn around and assert, "see these sick people [and groups], they hate the SGI so much [or are so psychotic], they make up the most ridiculous, even psychotic stories". For example, there is the case of a blog and several videos by "some woman" that accuses the SGI of blasting her with some sort of electronic transmissions from the building across the street, even killing her parakeet and sexually abusing her through these "rays".

I think, for us to remain credible, we should stick to the more credible, reasonable, and reproducible sources, stories, or experiences.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2010 02:47PM by Nichijew.

SGI, analysis, research, and evidence based critical thinking
Date: January 10, 2010 03:19PM

Would agree 100% that SGI could absolutely plant obviously crazy nonsense stories, and then use that as a straw-man, to try and discount genuine critics.

You can see it in blogs where SGI is accused of something serious, and SGI people will immediately say something like...SGI killed JFK...to sarcastically try and discredit valid criticisms.

Also, there are probably some people who despise SGI, who would try to do some "eastern" style crude propaganda, where they do very crude tactics like the SGI does about others.
As well as some folks who happen to have mental health issues.

So would agree that its absolutely essential to stick to hard evidence, facts, and solid research as much as possible.
Of course due to so much secrecy by SGI-USA, one has to make some judgements with incomplete evidence.

That being said, there is such a mountain of hard factual evidence so far in this thread, that proves SGI is not just a cult, but for those who a deeply involved, a destructive cult.
So its essential to stick to careful analysis, research, and evidence based critical thinking.

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: January 11, 2010 12:16AM

Nichijew
I have no proof but I wouldn't put it past the incredibly skillful SGI PR machine to plant outlandish stories and videos so they can turn around and assert, "see these sick people [and groups], they hate the SGI so much [or are so psychotic], they make up the most ridiculous, even psychotic stories". For example, there is the case of a blog and several videos by "some woman" that accuses the SGI of blasting her with some sort of electronic transmissions from the building across the street, even killing her parakeet and sexually abusing her through these "rays".

I think, for us to remain credible, we should stick to the more credible, reasonable, and reproducible sources, stories, or experiences.

This is an excellent point. There are so many stories out here on cyberspace, and we often don't know who posted them. An account could be true, from a legitimate source. It could also be fiction or propaganda, put out by someone with an ax to grind. As we read, we must ask "What's the evidence for this?" and "Is this logical?"

As my ninth-grade English teacher said about essay writing: "If you quote someone else's work -- TELL the reader WHO you quoted, and where the quote is from. If something is just your opinion -- then tell the reader that it's your opinion."
(Thanks, Mr. J!)

And yes, in my opinion, the Gakkai CAN and WOULD put out extreme stories to make their so-called opponents look foolish.

Re: SGI France, Prévensectes www.prevensectes.com/chambre/index.htm
Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: January 11, 2010 12:39AM

The Anticult
There is also another large list of articles about SGI on Prévensectes.

(in French) [www.prevensectes.com]

(English) Soka Gakkai - The House of Clarification
Statement of Intent - Serve Counter Information on the Soka Gakkai
[translate.google.com]

This is also from the prevensectes site, the testimony of Nobuhiro Nobuko, an SGI-Japan women's division leader, who alleges that she was raped three times by Ikeda when he visited Hokkaido's SGI Center -- 1973, 1983, and 1991.

SGI, and Ikeda, of course, deny this. How credible is she? She did wait many years to come forward and tell this account, so there is no physical evidence. When she came forward, she wanted money from SGI and Ikeda. So, was she really raped, or did she just want money, publicity, or revenge? I don't think that we can know, given what little evidence exists.

So why did I copy part of her story? I copied the story because there was another part that seemed significant -- how her activities in SGI affected her children. She speaks of pregnant women going out in the cold Hokkaido winters to do street shakabuku, and of mothers carrying small babies out in bad weather to do shakabuku. She also speaks of spending so much time at SGI activities that she and her husband did not eat dinner with their children. Her child's teacher reprimanded her about her neglect of her children.

This is not limited to Japan, or the 1950's or 60's. Jean Anker, on her www.fraughtwithperil.com blog, Byrd's Chicks, writes about being pressured by her SGI leader to take her colicky newborn out into very hot summer weather, to do street shakabuku. To her credit, she refused. I also remember the frenetic rounds of SGI activities in the 1980's, meetings practically every night. Some members who were doing all these activities just left their kids home, while others brought their children. So either some reluctant youth division member got stuck watching the kids -- or nobody really paid attention to the kids, and they were bored, frustrated and acted out. I often wondered how these kids would feel about their parents and SGI when they were older.

----------------Beginning of Quote----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am completely separated from the Soka Gakkai May 5, 1992. My husband and I had entered the Soka Gakkai February 26, 1956, was the epoch of the second President Toda, and from that day until now, my long involvement in the Soka Gakkai totaling thirty six years.

The sacrifice of my family

Before talking about my experience on how I was treated by Ikeda, I talk a little about the path I have followed the ratings Gakkai. Since our commitment Gakkai, my husband and I are making great strides in our business for Gakkai, the sacrifice of our family in order to propagate Buddhism seriously in the world. At first, we entered because after giving birth to my first son, my health was not very good. My husband was worried, and accordingly went to a reunion discussion of the Soka Gakkai. At that time, Hakodate was the main stronghold of the Gakkai in Hokkaido, because of the passionate towards his first manager Chapter Yasoutaka Noujou. My husband returned from the reunion of discussion and decided to commit, saying, "if it is not good, I'll go away after a year." Each night after that my child fell asleep, me too, I revered the Gohonzon late at night around 1 o'clock in the morning to see what could happen. This happened in the space of just five days. Just continuing to worship the Gohonzon, I cured of my disease, which afflicts me constantly. Since I had faith in the Gohonzon above all.

Rather than giving a happy family life to my children, I think I've made anxious. The years following my appointment, my second son was born, and I remember like it was yesterday, bringing with me while shakubuku. I was shakubuku every day thinking, 'or can I change his diaper? " A verse of a song Gakkai says, "our bulging bellies in the blizzard ...", but I think I was the true image of that song while I was walking in the intense cold of Hokkaido carrying my baby.

After that my son starts school, he wrote a composition in which he mentions our lifestyle. "I alone watching the house every day." His teacher read the composition and called me at school. He asked, "What you may well make you the mother of this child?" I do not recall that our family has ever had a dinner together.

-------------------------------End of Quote----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"...our bulging bellies in the blizzard...." That just seems so sad, these pregnant women, or young mothers carrying wet babies, out into the cold Hokkaido winters. Or the young children, alone in the house. And yes, these mothers made a choice to do that. Sure, you can say that they should have said no. You can also say that the leaders should not have asked this of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2010 12:45AM by tsukimoto.

Posted by: sushigrl ()
Date: January 11, 2010 06:28AM

I read an experience on an SGI website, I'll try to find it, where the Japanese mother had ignored her son because she was constantly promoted within the organization.She had treated him so harshly to the point of him committing suicide. She then chanted and decided that she could turn her cold heart around in his memory and rededicated herself for cousin rufus. I mean, not one word of regret in that experience (at least not in the translation).

I just couldn't believe that the org would let her believe that she was being a good person by dedicating herself to SGI to the utter misery of her family. GEEZ! That's why, as Anticult mentioned, SGI is in fact a destructive cult. It takes the talent of its members and encourages them to completely abandon their lives. Or at least to the point of destruction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2010 06:30AM by sushigrl.

Posted by: evergreen ()
Date: January 11, 2010 11:58AM

"I often wondered how these kids would feel about their parents and SGI when they were older."

I guess I've tried to paint a picture in the past. In our area the children were left to their own devices, either in someone's home or at the kaikan. When I got old enough I stayed at home and took care of myself while they were out. I became a parentified child - a child that learns adult behaviors in order to take care of themselves since no one else is doing it. I wish that I could have had a normal childhood. I guess we all wish that right? But I didn't ask for this, and no it was not my karma or my fault. I learned with my pregnancy and subsequently raising my child that my family and personal health came first period. I think I knew that old school NSA wasn't going to bring me any happiness and it made no sense to abandon a family for the sake of SGI. My mother did make me stand around to do shakubuku on the street against my liking. It was hot some days, raining some days, and cold some days. What struck me most about the woman in Hokkaido (which by the way is truly beyond what you think is cold) is the pure fanaticism.

This cult just doesn't fit with my beliefs any more. We are not a good match anymore. I'm now in the process of telling friends why I am leaving. I have to say it feels good to be true to myself. I have never been so attuned to my own needs before. And thats how it should be.

Oh and about the fortune babies. The leader's kids were seen as the real fortune babies. They were treated like royalty and definitely favored by the adults. Can you believe it, a pecking order among the fortune babies.

Posted by: DrJesusEsq ()
Date: January 11, 2010 12:11PM

evergreen
"I often wondered how these kids would feel about their parents and SGI when they were older."

I guess I've tried to paint a picture in the past. In our area the children were left to their own devices, either in someone's home or at the kaikan. When I got old enough I stayed at home and took care of myself while they were out. I became a parentified child - a child that learns adult behaviors in order to take care of themselves since no one else is doing it. I wish that I could have had a normal childhood. I guess we all wish that right? But I didn't ask for this, and no it was not my karma or my fault. I learned with my pregnancy and subsequently raising my child that my family and personal health came first period. I think I knew that old school NSA wasn't going to bring me any happiness and it made no sense to abandon a family for the sake of SGI. My mother did make me stand around to do shakubuku on the street against my liking. It was hot some days, raining some days, and cold some days. What struck me most about the woman in Hokkaido (which by the way is truly beyond what you think is cold) is the pure fanaticism.

This cult just doesn't fit with my beliefs any more. We are not a good match anymore. I'm now in the process of telling friends why I am leaving. I have to say it feels good to be true to myself. I have never been so attuned to my own needs before. And thats how it should be.

Oh and about the fortune babies. The leader's kids were seen as the real fortune babies. They were treated like royalty and definitely favored by the adults. Can you believe it, a pecking order among the fortune babies.

And who says SGI brings the family closer? You're right on the Hokkaido thing. I was there years ago in March and there was still a mountain snow there! To even do shakubuku in the cold winters while expecting is ludicrous!

I know the Buddha's mother died giving childbirth, but this is ridiculous!

Posted by: evergreen ()
Date: January 11, 2010 01:02PM

Just saw this review from a book I was thinking of buying called "Cartwheels in a Sari: A Memoir of Growing Up Cult"

amazon.com

"From Tamm's experiences growing up, a detailed, fascinating portrait of Sri Chimnoy and his operations gradually emerges. In the community he created, he represented himself as a spokesperson with god-like powers and direct access to God--knowledge of the "supreme." Among his disciples, he demanded obedience, reverence, and complete devotion. Meanwhile, to the external world, Chimnoy cultivated the image of an international leader for peace, going out of his way to develop contacts with famous people, from UN secretaries and other political leaders to movie stars and athletes. These associations would enable meetings with more celebrities, bolstering his legitimacy in the larger public."

Sounds vaguely familiar

Re: Former SGI members, Sri Chinmoy, Ikeda
Date: January 11, 2010 06:25PM

Sri Chinmoy [www.culteducation.com] was another brazen spiritual scam-artist.
Ikeda gets his kicks by buying fake degrees, bragging about his success and gold, and the like.

Sri Chinmoy tried to attract attention, by staging fake weightlifting stunts. Of course, he would use some ridiculous machine with a hidden lever, its amazing anyone believed a word he said. Total scam-artist.

On top of that, similar to Ikeda, Sri Chinmoy also used an army of ghostwriters and publicists, to promote his image as a super-achiever. Even after he is dead, the Sri Chinmoy cult is still promoting him.

Sri Chinmoy also took the money earned by his cult, and used it to buy various "peace" monuments with his name on it, identical to Ikeda. One assumes that generic "peace" is a good thing to market for a cult guru.

Sri Chinmoy also claimed to have Kundalini power to do "miracles" and if you joined his cult and did his "meditation" techniques, then you could get some of that power too. Of course, its a scam, but it lures people into the meditation courses for years.
Ikeda tells people a similar thing, through the SGI-chanting.

So in many ways, Sri Chinmoy was very similar to the SGI system by Ikeda.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.