Meat, dairy, and animal research industries vs PETA and othe
Posted by: sparrowgirl65 ()
Date: September 12, 2006 05:32AM

:D I just wanted to commend this website and the people on it. It is very touching reading the accounts by so many people whose lives (or whose loved ones' lives) have been interfered with by cults. If only all children were raised knowing their rights and freedoms as individuals: the right to personal boundaries, independent thought, privacy, the freedom to live without pressure/fear to submit to a leader or group, the freedom to worship freely and without pressure, to not be separated from family members by "shunning" practices, etc. The things most of us take for granted in our lives. I joined as a user on this website a few minutes ago because I wanted to say that.

But then I was glancing over the site, and I saw one thing I was disappointed about, and it's my only negative comment about this site. Everything else here is so great and very commendable. Maybe I'm wrong about this other thing and need to re-read the section more fully, but this was my first impression from what I saw there, please correct me if I'm wrong:

:( I was disappointed to see the section on the animal-rights and eco-protection movements lumped in with the terms "terrorist" and "cult" . There have been a few instances where individuals have committed illegal acts in the name of animal rights or eco protection. These instances are extremely rare. The vast majority of the individuals and organizations working for animal rights and environmental protection are law-abiding, normal people, not terrorists or cults in any way. It is perfectly legal to speak out and spread awareness about any harmful practices by any industry. These industries also have the right to speak out in favor of their practices. One has seen the very visible campaigns against People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals by the animal research industries, in which they call PETA "terrorists" and tell Americans that PETA and organizations like them will take over their country and infringe on their rights and prevent medical progress. Ha ha! (There is tons of great research going on out there that doesn't use animals, with just as much or more progress than within the animal research camp. Many medical researchers believe that the majority of animal research doesn't benefit humans and is a waste of funding.) These industries are the ones who are currently trying to push through laws to redefine LAWFUL protest as "terrorism". I have supported PETA several times. They have never pressured me to do so, I've never seen anything cultlike or pressuring about the organization. I believe everyone has a right to free information and free, lawful protest. I think the actions by big business against lawful organizations like PETA and others, trying to redefine lawful protest and information-sharing as TERRORISM is scary. I hope this website is not trying to create the impression that PETA and the animal rights movement in general is terroristic, or that environmental activist groups in general are terroristic. I mean, one expects that kind of rhetoric from the logging, coal, and oil industries and the meat/dairy/animal research industries, but I would be disappointed to see it on a site like this. I have had a lot of contact with environmental and animal rights organizations before, and never came across any terrorists or harmful activities or anything cult-like. I have only seen perfectly lawful activities promoting animal rights and environmental protection. PETA welcomes the public to support them with donations, of course, to aid in their work. But when PETA call, they never try to invade your privacy or question your beliefs or force you into anything, there is no pressure to be a member and not leave, etc. You may donate or join and then later not renew your membership, as I've done before, and no one follows up and tells me I really should still be supporting them and what's going on, or anything cultish like that!! So in what way are they like a cult? I don't get it. However, I would say that the subject matter involved in the animal rights movement is of course in itself disturbing in many cases (i.e. vivisection, animal exploitation, etc). Although the animal rights groups are the ones who are working against the cruel practices, they are the ones getting the pictures and facts out there in front of the public for the public's evaluation. A lot of the information and materials are definitely not suitable for minors to be exposed to and I believe could cause depression, anxiety, rage, etc for a youngster. I would not let my son see graphic information about animal exploitation, etc., it's obviously not appropriate viewing for children.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: September 12, 2006 05:49AM

See [www.culteducation.com]

The information within The Rick A. Ross Institute archives has been collected to offer the public a resource concerning groups called "cults," controversial organizations and movements.
However, the mention and/or inclusion of a group or leader within this archive does not define that group as a "cult" and/or an individual mentioned as either destructive and/or harmful. Instead, such inclusion simply reflects that archived articles and/or research is available about a group or person that has generated some interest and/or controversy.

All the information archived must be evaluated critically, through a process of independent and individual judgment. Please note that there are links often prominently posted to a group or movement's own official website, which reflect their views. It is important to see what they have to say.

Warning -- All META tags, page titles, keywords and other content descriptions used throughout this website are only intended to assist search engines for research and locating purposes. This in no way, shape or form is intended to mislead anyone by implying any official representation and/or relationship exists between this website and the owners of any trademarks, service marks and/or copyrights, which may contain the same keywords and/or titles.

The Rick A. Ross Institute, its Advisory Board and/or Rick Ross do not necessarily endorse or support any of the views expressed within the documents, articles, reports and testimonies archived within this website, with the exception of those specifically so attributed.

The Rick A. Ross Institute, its Advisory Board and/or Rick Ross do not necessarily endorse or support any of the views expressed within linked websites listed at the Links page of this website. They are provided only for the convenience of researchers and those concerned.

Books listed on the Books page of this website and the views they express are not specifically endorsed by The Rick A. Ross Institute, its Advisory Board and/or Rick Ross. Readers must exercise their own judgment in choosing and/or reviewing such material. And then critically evaluate any views or opinions the authors may express.

Again, some may find this material controversial. The Rick A. Ross Institute has archived this information for the convenience of researchers and those concerned.

Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: September 16, 2006 12:16AM

I have a friend who worked at PETA headquarters in VA for 2 months and quit out of disgust at the "cult-like" atmosphere there. She was very disillusioned. The higher up you get in that organization, the more cult-like it is. They intentionally hire young, idealistic, childless people so that they can work them crazy hours to the point of exhaustion.

On their few days off, PETA employees are required to "volunteer" at demonstrations and protests, even though they have a huge supply of volunteers who could do this instead.

When my friend quit, the other employees were told to shun her.

EDITED TO ADD: My friend is still a vegan and believes in animal rights. I also believe in animal rights and much of what PETA stands for, but I don't like what I've heard about the way they treat their staff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.