Islam believes in a future teacher called the Mahdi
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: February 16, 2006 05:12AM

The Mahdi is the teacher that will add to Mohammed's teachings and will be the redeemer of mankind according to the teachings of Islam and the Koran. Any people who can add or modify this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Horab ()
Date: March 28, 2006 02:42PM

I have heard of the Mahdi before, he is the redeemer of Islamsism, the guided one.

mahdi means different things depending on the sect, here's a link with links:

[en.wikipedia.org]

far more than i knew

Posted by: shakti ()
Date: March 29, 2006 03:27AM

Horab
I have heard of the Mahdi before, he is the redeemer of Islamsism, the guided one.
Some other facts about the Mahdi...

1. Was used as the basis of Frank Herbert's Dune series.

2. The current president of Iran is a Twelver, which means that he believes that the Mahdi is coming back soon, and like Christian armageddonist extremists ("Left Behind") he believes that nuclear war could hasten his return. This is one of the reasons people are so worried about Iran having nukes. Luckily, it appears as though some of the mullahs and politicians are having second thoughts about him, so he may be reigned in. I would hope so!

Posted by: egel ha zahav ()
Date: June 09, 2006 04:58AM

For a wealth of information on Islam check the following link

[www.faithfreedom.org]

Posted by: brainstormer ()
Date: August 16, 2007 10:48PM

The question is, is this teaching common in Islam or is it just a fringe sect's view?

Posted by: shakti ()
Date: August 17, 2007 02:52AM

brainstormer
The question is, is this teaching common in Islam or is it just a fringe sect's view?

It is mainstream within Shia Islam, but not Sunni. The Koran makes no mention of the Mahdi.

Ahmadinejad apparently belongs to a sect that believes in the IMMINENT coming of the Mahdi. That is one of the things that make him so dangerous.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.