Spectrum, North London
Posted by: media b ()
Date: January 19, 2007 04:32AM

Does anyone else have experience of Spectrum in North London. This is a highly suspect Psychotherapy "Training and Therapy" organisation. They operate many dual roles and double standards and trainees are expected to stay in therapy FOREVER.
Cultic Psychotherapy organisations exist to enrich the owners and not to help patients!

Spectrum, North London
Date: January 22, 2007 03:43AM

my experience with Spectrum was a while ago. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has had a recent/current experience of Spectrum. Also, anyone who has left in the past and found their leaving experience very painful and difficult and protracted.

Spectrum, North London
Posted by: PPerry ()
Date: January 22, 2007 09:18PM

Yes, I do have experience of this organisation. I did some of my psychotherapy training there. I had to leave because the training was disempowering for the trainees and inadequate as the trainers and leaders had no knowledge of most contemporary research or theory. It was (is?) also an isolated institution in that they do not have dialogue with other training institutes within the UKCP. I put up with it for so long because I didn't realise it wasn't right because I had nothing to compare it to. I think their biggest sin was implying that the power of being in a therapy group was down to the specialness of Spectrum rather than down to the power of therapy group process. They don't challenge positive transference whilst negative feedback is dismissed as negative transference. When I found out what I was missing by being there I left but such is the cultish nature of the organisation that I found it impossible to continue friendships formed there because, in my experience, other points of view about Spectrum are not tolerated. I did find this traumatising for a while. If you've been a victim and want to debrief with someone who has been through it, do email. Philippa

Spectrum, North London
Date: January 23, 2007 12:11AM

Hi,
Thanks for getting in touch. Since I left Spectrum have tried to damage me professionally. I am responding to that appropriately.
I recognise much of what you say and sadly didn't leave soon enough. Like many Spectrum leavees I felt exploited and infantilised there; pathologised for not recognising how lucky I was to be there! (irony). I'm pleased to say that retraining and a spell in properly contained and practised therapy has worked wonders.
I am quite interested in putting together an oranisation of ex-Spectrum trainees who share our experience. What do you think?

Spectrum, North London
Date: January 30, 2007 10:19PM

Iatrogenic symptoms associated with a therapy cult: examination of an extinct "new psychotherapy" with respect to psychiatric deterioration and "brainwashing".
• Hochman J.
In 1982, the first and only discussion of psychotherapy cults appeared in the literature. Temerlin and Temerlin (1982) studied five "bizarre" groups which were formed when five practitioners of psychotherapy simultaneously served as friends, lovers, relatives, employers, colleagues, and teachers, all to patients who were themselves mental health professionals. In choosing the term "psychotherapy cult," the authors have noted similarities of the groups they reviewed to some religious cults, citing the three definitions of the "cult" in Webster's 1966 Third New International Dictionary: (1) a system for the cure of disease based on the dogma, tenets or principles set forth by its promulgator to the exclusion of scientific experience or demonstration, (2) great or excessive dedication to some person, idea or organization, (3) a religion or mystic regarded as mysterious or unorthodox. The psychotherapy cults studied by Temerlin and Temerlin varied from 15 to 75 mental health professionals held together by their idealization of a shared therapist and the activities which they conducted jointly: workshops, seminars, courses, businesses, professional ventures, and social life. As patients became more involved in the social and personal life of their therapists, they gradually withdrew from all friends and family, becoming increasingly dependent on the therapist and their new "siblings." Upon joining the group, many patients felt a sense of being loved and belongingness. The authors described the "cognitive pathology" of idiosyncratic group jargon which served to maintain an illusion of knowledge, sophistication, and personal growth, while removing all ambivalence and uncertainty. The authors concluded that psychotherapy cult membership is an iatrogenically determined negative effect of psychotherapy. Of the former cult members they interviewed, most had perceived themselves as deteriorating or at an impasse, or had experienced disillusionment with their therapists; however, they were unable to terminate unilaterally because of a pathological symbiosis with the group. This paper focuses on a now defunct school of psychotherapy which had both much in common with these psychotherapy cults and several contrasting qualities. First, the school was officially led by a junta of psychotherapists, in a deliberate attempt to avoid any taint of a personality cult. Second, the group of patients and therapists was far larger than any referred to in the original study. Third, most patients were not mental health professionals. Fourth, liberal usage was made of many novel techniques identified with the California psychotherapy scene.

Spectrum, North London
Date: January 30, 2007 11:32PM

What do I think of an organisation of ex-trainee Spectrums? A reason I think a group may help is that in my experience ex-spectrum people can be frightened of joining other organisations and professional groups which was essential for me, on the other hand a group could delay the breaking away and integrating with the wider psychotherapeutic community. I don't know. I have a fantasy that such a group would all get together and demonise Spectrum which is easy enough to do. For Example

1. the lack of training in the shift that happened in the within the Integrative and Humanistic movements both in Europe and USA in relation to Self psychology and Intersubjective theory and how those therapies have had a dramatic, positive influence on especially Humanistic therapy.

2. the lack of any mention of what theoretical background we were working from.

3. no training in phenomenology, or field theory or relational theory or developmental theory. For example Daniel Stern's important research was never mentioned or taken into account. Worse still nothing about attachment theory, no work of Bowlby's discussed at all. Nothing about neuro-science and the work of pioneers such as Alan Schore was ever mentioned. If challenged about any of these omissions trainees would be fobbed off with being told that Spectrum training was very special and that's why it was different.

4. They use the word integrative, or they did when I was there without ever exploring what it meant. Their idea of training was to do the integration of theory for the trainees and tell them to accept it or leave, no personal theory of integration of theories was ever even mentioned, let alone encouraged. This produced at best carbon copies of the leaders rather than authentic practitioners and at worse it stifled debate and curiosity and creativity. Because of the lack of theoretical input the trainees have to rely on the charismatic leaders rather than a solid theoretical base.

5. Their approach although never clearly laid out seems to be based in classical gestalt with all its shaming confrontation. They have gone from this to swallowing whole another charismatic leader, Stanley Keleman from the States a body psychotherapist. Stanley has invented his own theories which do not credit the sources he has taken them from. He is another isolate in the therapy world. The leaders hail him as a genius and they in turn are hailed as genius by the staff, who are looked up to by the practitioners, who are looked up to by the trainees and the person that pays for the leaders' object needs of feeling special is the newest client who walks in the door. They are then told to feel special because they are lucky enough to have found Spectrum. This is classic cult stuff.

6. Don't get me started on narcissism!!!!

I would feel a bit uneasy about a group based in these negative aspects of Spectrum. I think this would be echoing the ways of Spectrum in a way, because it seemed to me as though they like to show themselves as being superior by criticising other ways of practicing and training psychotherapy. I think a group focussing on healing ways of going forward might be useful. What I found healing was to get good relational therapy with someone who understood and thoroughly practiced intersubjectivity theory. Joining a relational theory development group, fill up the gaps with reading and workshops and supplementary trainings and to get excellent, non-shaming supervision from someone who could bring me up to date on theory. I think it is important not to leave Spectrum and then be in isolation

I feel angry that I wasted time and money being conned that the power of group therapy was somehow exclusive to Spectrum. Maybe it would be good if we all wrote to the UKCP telling of our experience because they are up for re-accreditation this year. I hope ex-trainees can find the organisation that works best for them, without someone else telling them its the best!

Spectrum, North London
Date: February 01, 2007 10:01PM

hi,
This is my third attempt to post. Something seems to happen to them so I hope this one is successful and that I don't repeat myself too much if the others appear.
I hope you find the Hochman interesting, I imagine it seems v. familiar. I've found a lot of interesting stuff on psychotherapy cults and as well as this site recommend The International Cultic Studies Association.
I'm also concerned not to dwell on negativity; to leave a cult and start a sect. The "apprenticeship" training at Spectrum, reinforced by the so-called "Process Coaching" in the postgrads does produce clones of Cooper and Roth with the potential of all their grandiosity and directiveness; to be guarded against. No, the idea is to develop a head of steam and take collective concerns to Ukcp. Especially with Spectrum up for re-accreditation. I suggest in the meantime writing to Nicky Marshall, Chair of Hips Ethics Committee at: c/o Re.Vision
97 Brondesbury Road
London NW6 6RY

or to Richard Cleminson, Chair of Hips at Ukcp.

Your description of the Spectrum pyramid describes exactly my own perception and that of others I've talked to. It's concerning just how much unease there is about Spectrum out there, not just amonst the leavers who feel isolated and frightened to act. At a recent workshop I attended Spectrum was described to me as "An awful place, they exploit people", another fellow professional described it as a "cult". An extremely emminent analyst expressed concern that "Nobody knows what they do there".

It's in the "Core Staff" group where the true dysfunctionality of the place is most apparent. This fiercely loyal cohort, some of whom have been in therapy with Cooper or Roth, also in multiple roles, for up to and in excess of twenty years, pay around £3k per year each for the privelege of doing Spectrum's donkey work.

Spectrum's schtick is that it's the home of "true" Humanism i.e. narcissistic self disclosure and directive concreteness. Thus, their specialness excuses them from the rigorous interaction with the "contaminating" outside institutional matrix the rest of us engage with. Let's hope this is picked up on. Spectrum's external moderator, an old crony of the Coopers, wasn't even a trained psychotherapist when I was there.

There is much more; let's hope that Spectrum join in this democratic forum so that we can ask them some of the difficult questions that were repressed in the house. As you rightly say, my experience was of dissent being pathologised and the dissenter, sometimes one simply asking for the training promised to be delivered, being marginalised and re-educated. Leavers will well remember dissatisfied conversations over lunch when, as one trainee said to me it seemed like the Coopers "made it up in the car on their way to the building". Those brave enough to speak up will also remember how the same lunch companions went quiet as the individual was attacked. We must not become isolated in the process of challenging this organisation now that we've left. But, you're right, the fear leaves with one and the impulse is to let sleeping dogs lie. The "client" you so movingly refer to deserves more and I'm sad to say that some of mine are being processed even now.

Spectrum, North London
Date: February 01, 2007 11:59PM

The Hochman is interesting, yes. Spectrum certainly fits numbers one and two of Webster's definition. I like what you say about don't leave a cult to start a sect. I think that is what I was frightened of. And maybe we do have a duty to protect potential new trainees and clients. If I think about myself I had no idea I was being exploited. I was a favourite with the favourties and the founders and staff and in full positive transference onto Spectrum in general. If an outsider tried to warn me off I'd defend it eloquently. I even struggled with hopeless therapy with Paul Allsop for the requisite number of hours to graduate. Another concern is that trainees that do realise that a lot of baloney is generated at Spectrum sometimes give up on therapy because they think it must apply to the field as a whole.

Talking of core staff I think they pay more than the £3000 per annum, the monthly rate on a room is something like £1200. Every time a client is referred a practitioner has to pay a fee. Theyhave to pay for everything, being on the web site, being in the brochure. And Spectrum seems to act as their family and friends as well.

Their multiple role thing is hilarious. Anna Patterson said that she could be friends with her clients because she could handle it but I was too inexperienced to be friends with mine - so there is good solid theory behind that one, NOT.

I'd be interested in meeting for lunch or coffee or something to discuss a list of concerns that we could send to the re-accreditation committee for them to take into account.

Spectrum, North London
Date: February 02, 2007 07:31AM

Hi
A quick reply and I will reply more fully later. The 2 practitioners you mention are, of course, core staff and totally supportive of multiple roles, their own disempowerment.
The £3k staff fees are IN ADDITION to all the other HUGE and COMPULSORY costs of being a Spectrum adherent. Core staff consider these a privilege to pay for, as Julia Naish said to a large group of potential staff inductees, "Being part of the most professional group of people I have ever known." Chilling isn't it?

Spectrum, North London
Date: February 05, 2007 12:12AM

every piece of the literature I've read about Psychotherapy Cults identifies dual and multiple roles as one of the main causes. Although there are times when these are unavoidable, eg a lecturer on a course may be a student's therapist, they are to be avoided or at least acknowledged and allowed for. Both UKCP and BACP recommend this, yet both have Spectrum, who not only don't avoid but laud multiple roles, as a member organisation. Is it any wonder the government don't trust us to settle on a self regulatory structure?

What about this as an example of how dual roles operate within Spectrum? Every member of the Core Staff is in therapy or supervision with one of the directors, many are in therapy and supervision with the directors, Terry Cooper, Jenner Roth and Maggie McKenzie. Maggie McKenzie was/is? in therapy and supervision with the Coopers. The limit of confidentiality at Spectrum is the staff group. Therapy is compulsory and non-ending, under the rationale of "standards", if you want to work in the house.This means that, through modelling trainees come to consider therapy as a way of life and not simply a process to be engaged in for a time in order to support future agency. This also means that the Coopers, through a matrix of communication within the organisation, may be privvy to ANY information shared in ANY supposedly confidential setting i.e. training groups, supervision groups and, most worryingly, therapy. I, for one, was certainly not given this infomation when I started therapy at the house; and I wonder how many clients are? Where you? I'm also aware of more than one who had the audacity to leave or challenge accepted practice who had confidential information disseminated in such a way as it harmed them professionally.
You suggest meeting. I guess this might be possible in due course. For now the allergy we both have to replicating Spectrum's practices makes it seem best to use this democtratic forum to explore and write about our experiences there. I hope others will join in, especially Spectrum. I would suggest that you write to Nicky Marshall with your concerns, others have contacted UKCP and the more the merrier.
I notice a lot of hits on the topic, if you are a Spectrum leaver and these matters resonate with you; you can write about them here in safety and in real confidentiality. Please do so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.