Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Some things on Catholocism
Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: July 11, 2011 12:35AM

An interesting case currently before the High Court in the UK:

[www.guardian.co.uk]

which seeks to establish the corporate liability of the catholic church for the activities of its priests. The church has skated on its responsibilities several times before due to this anomaly where priests have not been held to be in the same position as employees of the church and so there is no transfer of responsibility from individual to his handlers higher in the hierarchy.

Its of interest as the church certainly functions as a corporate business and makes a tidy profit at it. The double standard only comes into play when it faces liabilities that may cost it cash and reputation.

The church is fighting this case on the grounds that it does not want to pay any compensation to the victims of its paedphile priests. These priests have been allowed to continue their predation for years, sometimes, by the bishops and other higher-ups who turned a blind eye in the interests of profit and maintaining a pristine reputation.

Sounds like a very corporate mode of thinking to me.

The hearing is for some 3 days and the outcome will be interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 12:38AM by Stoic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: July 26, 2011 02:33AM

At last, the Irish PM, Taoiseach Enda Kenny, has taken a stand against the Vatican on its cover up, as a foreign state, of the institutional abuse perpetrated by the catholic church in Eire.

The Vatican has withdrawn the Papal Nuncio, its ambassador to Ireland, in response in what is widely regarded as a 'fit of pique.'
Not before time.

[www.guardian.co.uk]

'Breaking with decades of deference to the Catholic hierarchy both at home and in Rome, Kenny told the Dáil last week that "the rape and torture of children were downplayed or 'managed' to uphold instead the primacy of the institution, in power, standing and reputation".

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2011 02:37AM by Stoic.

Posted by: stars ()
Date: June 12, 2012 10:21PM

yeah I never liked catholicicsm, I like the orthodox church better. There are many things that bother me about the catholic church.

Posted by: zeeshan ()
Date: December 20, 2012 01:25PM

The other obvious and only remaining alternative would have to be that Jesus wasn't Jewish--at least by birth--hence His celibacy would have been moot insofar as orthodox Judaism was concerned. I leave the reader to research and decide for him/herself. At least now, we live in an age where we can discuss such things rationally without fear of mortal consequences.
So is Catholic celibacy divinely inspired or is it merely a human construct, for whatever reasons, that has no particular spiritual significance? I seem to recall that either Catholicism's Greek Orthodox or Eastern Orthodox permits its clergy to marry. So apparently they're not breaking any God-like laws, else Roman Catholicism would have been all over them on CNN.
[www.guardian.co.uk]

Posted by: magnocrat ()
Date: August 27, 2016 04:03PM

It's ok I forgive your big mouth mine's not too small. Anyway when you feel strongly it's nearly always best said rather than allowed to fester inside.
I'm not Jewish as far as I know and I'm an old rather unwise married man.
Like most humans I've been bombarded with all sorts of religion and non- religious stuff all my life , it seems to be a topic many are fascinated by.

Date: October 24, 2016 03:17AM

I don't thing being married or single will prevent sexual wondering, you could argue that a married man has a taste for sex and so is more likely to cheat on his partner.
The reason Catholic Priests are unmarried is mainly connected with freeing them from family responsibilities for God's work.

Date: October 24, 2016 03:22AM

In theory they should have no wealth because of vows of poverty. Wealth today in western nations is considerable even the poor are wealthy by world standards.

Date: October 24, 2016 03:24AM

I could not have put the case more clearly.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.