Current Page: 15 of 21
Question for Alcoholics Anonymous experts.
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 16, 2006 12:58AM

barabara:

I will be watching.

But if you consider strong disagreement "flaming" that may be a problem of interpretation on your part.

Let's see and start a fresh slate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: barabara ()
Date: August 16, 2006 01:05AM

Fine.
To clarify, what I consider "insulting", if not out and out flaming, is sarcastic remarks about my gender, speculation about my career and insults to what the "flamer" thinks is my profession, being told that my experiences are "blatently false", and people saying our discussion is not worthy of being on this board.

I don't object to disagreement. i object to insults and allegations.

Everybody got hot.

They love AA. We don't .

I posted a funny quote from the brittish press about how "alkies can't communicate directly without guns and knives being drawn". It seems to me to be true, at least for the moment.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 16, 2006 01:19AM

barabra:

Again, let's start fresh from this point forward.

You have done your share of the same.

Date: August 16, 2006 06:53AM

post removed.
(I previously posted a detailed description of some very personal experiences, but have removed it in light of later seemingly derogatory remarks made by others on this board.)

Date: August 16, 2006 02:07PM

barabara

It isn't about language...

Language is important...

It's about the courts...

It's about my experience...

It's about predatorial people in society..
This seems to me like an attempt to discredit the thread such as posts by those referred to as "trolls".

When the moderator suggests starting afresh, barabara, I don't think what was intended was going back and disguising your flames with careful edits.

Yes, I wish to discredit the worth of this thread on this messageboard. To argue against AA on the basis of a function of the courts is nonsensical.

Please refrain from calling me a troll. I object to this flaming.

Date: August 16, 2006 02:32PM

ughaibu
Upsidedownnewspaper: Is it germane to "maintain that AA is not a destructive cult"? Considering the inquiry addressed by this thead, you may be crying before you're hurt.
You should also bear in mind that on various threads members of the (alleged) cult, under discussion, have appeared and attempted to justify the organisation in question. So, if you intend to successfully challenge a perception that AA is a cult, you will need to address the cultic features of the organisation, not simply extoll the organisation's virtues.

The only core cultic doctrinal feature of AA that has been identified in the course of these threads is the concept of something beyond ourselves, defined by the Big Book as God, a common English word open to individual interpretation.

To argue against this concept is to argue solipsism.

To claim this concept of something beyond ourselves is a purely religious one is a word-game being used by obfuscators of this messageboard and detractors of AA.

That "something other than ourselves" can be argued to be a philosophical concept and not necessarily a merely religious one is to argue that AA does not even meet that one criterion of cult-likeness levelled at AA, that the organisation propounds a core religious doctrine at odds with some individual members.

The central premiss of AA doctrine is that there is something other than ourselves which can used by hopeless alcoholics to stop themselves drinking.

It is a premise that need not be considered religiously. It is a concept that can be considered psychologically or philosophically.

To argue against the use of the word God to describe this concept is a unproductive wordgame.

Ughaiba, nowhere have I extolled virtues of the AA organisation. I only repeatedly state it is not a destructive cult. And that a thread regarding AA based on the functions of the courts is a thread only very loosely connected to the main ideas dealt with by this messageboard.

I suspect the moderators allow it because it is an interesting issue albeit a not very pertinent one for this messageboard.

Date: August 16, 2006 04:37PM

ughaibu

There has been some mention of court rulings requiring attendance of Alcoholics Anonymous as a release condition, can somebody provide more information about this, please. Specifically, in which countries, under which provisions of law, how Alcoholics Anonymous was classified for the purpose and how restricting the options to this group was justified.
This is the article you are looking for, as it answers in detail much of your original question.
The link was given previously, but I read the article and chose a few pertinent passages for posting.
They might prove helpful to any interested newcomers to this thread.

[www.law.duke.edu]

While there are no statistics bearing on the frequency with which judges specifically impose AA as a probationary condition for DUI offenders, AA's status as the dominant self-help program suggests that it is very high.

Federal courts have twice addressed the constitutionality of requiring AA attendance as a condition of probation.

Robert Warner was convicted of three alcohol-related driving offenses over slightly more than a year's time.As a condition of his three-year sentence of probation, Warner was required to "attend Alcoholics Anonymous at the direction of [his] probation officer.

[b:594f870d59]"The sentencing judge did not offer any alternative rehabilitation programs to Warner.[/b:594f870d59]

The judge followed the recommendation of the probation department which, as a matter of policy, specifically recommends AA therapy to the court for DUI cases.A self-described atheist, Warner filed suit, claiming that mandatory participation in AA as a probationary condition violated the Establishment Clause.

Warner alleged that his forced participation in AA was unconstitutional because of AA's emphasis on God and spirituality in its program of recovery.He particularly disagreed with the use of a prayer invoking "the Lord" at the beginning of AA meetings and the encouragement he received at sessions to read The Big Book.

In Warner I, [b:594f870d59]the district court held that Warner stated a valid claim under section 1983 and denied the probation department's motion to dismiss[/b:594f870d59].

In Warner II, the district court considered the merits of Warner's section 1983 claim. The court held that the probation condition that required Warner to participate in AA violated the Establishment Clause.

In Warner III, [b:594f870d59]the Second Circuit affirmed the district court's finding in Warner II that Warner's probationary condition constituted forced participation in a religious activity.

The Second Circuit found that the program which Warner attended "placed a heavy emphasis on spirituality and prayer, in both conception and in practice.[/b:594f870d59]"Observing that participants in the program were told to "pray to God"for succor in their battle against alcoholism and that meetings began and adjourned with "group prayer,[b:594f870d59]"the Second Circuit had "no doubt" that the meetings Warner attended were "intensely religious events.[/b:594f870d59]"

The court left open the question whether the state would have violated the Establishment Clause if Warner had been [b:594f870d59]"offered a reasonable choice of therapy providers."[/b:594f870d59]

In O'Connor v. California, the United States District Court for the Central District of California held that requiring a DUI offender to attend an alcohol treatment program as a condition of probation [b:594f870d59]did not violate the Establishment Clause.[/b:594f870d59]

[b:594f870d59]Two self-help programs, AA and Rational Recovery, were pre-approved by Orange County as meeting the county's requirements for its "additional program."[/b:594f870d59]During O'Connor's probation, Rational Recovery, a secular alternative to AA,met in Orange County only five times a week; AA meetings were held much more frequently. He attended both programs, dividing his time roughly between them based on their compatibility with his schedule.

The determining factor in these cases was whether or not a choice between secular and religious choices was offered.

For the Warner III and O'Connor courts,[b:594f870d59] the presence or absence of choice between secular and religiously-oriented self-help groups was decisive.[/b:594f870d59]

Therefore, a probation referral system that offered both secular and religiously-oriented rehabilitation programs to probationers might not violate the Establishment Clause if the overall system were neutral.

Many probation referral systems, however, either do not provide a secular option, or, if they do, they do not endorse it as strongly in word and deed as they support the nonsecular program (AA).
The article goes on to address the legal ramifications of AA in the prison system

III. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS IN PRISON

Posted by: ughaibu ()
Date: August 16, 2006 07:50PM

Upsidedownnewspaper: Drinking is a real activity, if there is something other than the drinker that can influence whether or not the drinker drinks, that something must also be real and demonstrable. Undemonstrable hypothetical entities "beyond ourselves" do not intercede in our drinking.
To say "I stopped drinking with the help of my belief in God" can be true, in the case of certain people with certain religious beliefs, but to say "I stopped drinking with the help of God" is not true.
I am not going to repeat this, it should already be clear.

Barabara: Thanks for your contributions to this thread. Several interesting resources and a lot of information has been provided for me.

Posted by: kath ()
Date: August 16, 2006 08:46PM

ughaibu
. Undemonstrable hypothetical entities "beyond ourselves" do not intercede in our drinking.
To say "I stopped drinking with the help of my belief in God" can be true, in the case of certain people with certain religious beliefs, but to say "I stopped drinking with the help of God" is not true.

Then you are getting into an atheism vs theism thang and trying to disprove a theist's belief that god acts in the world.

I don't think that ever convinces 'true believers' of any faith, they will just argue that from their personal experience they've seen god working in the world.

We sceptics can have our own views though :)

Date: August 16, 2006 08:56PM

ughaibu
Upsidedownnewspaper: Drinking is a real activity, if there is something other than the drinker that can influence whether or not the drinker drinks, that something must also be real and demonstrable. Undemonstrable hypothetical entities "beyond ourselves" do not intercede in our drinking.
I am not going to repeat this, it should already be clear.

No, it is not clear.

It seems to amount to language policing.

I am not talking about "undemonstrable hypothetical entities beyond ourselves". Groups of other people are not undemonstrable? Doorknobs are not undemonstrable?

Your objection seems to be with the particular notion of an undemonstrable hypothetical Christian God.

AA members do not have to deal with undemonstrable, hypothetical anything.

I'm sorry your logic is not clear to me. I don't ask you to repeat it but to perhaps extrapolate for me if you have time or patience.

I can go further than you: Instead of "I stopped drinking with the help of my belief in God," one should say, "I stopped the activity that I have personally determined to be excessive drinking with the help of my belief in [b:d4030d2d86]a[/b:d4030d2d86] God."

AA would allow its members to make or believe in any of these statements. Attendance at AA is necessitated by the assumption that, "I myself cannot stop drinking. I need help from an outside source."

Current Page: 15 of 21

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.