Abuse?
Posted by: Underdog ()
Date: August 04, 2006 02:39AM

i am very happy that this technique has worked for you. I agree that informed consent is a BIG issue. But i think the issue of informed consent is very sticky in this situation. I am not stranger to this subject, so i would never advise such a thing unless i had direct personal experience with it. the new T which i see now would never advise such a thing to those with my dx but that does not mean it would not work for another.

My gut still says to 'run away' but that is my gut for me.

Abuse?
Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: August 04, 2006 07:59AM

I haven't tried the technique in a formal way. what happened on the bus happened by accident. I believed in it already though. it simply accords with what I know about how the mind/brain works.

Abuse?
Posted by: Underdog ()
Date: August 04, 2006 11:28AM

Well, theory based on your expriences versus a person going and trusting a therapist are very different animals.

I just went through horrible therapist abuse of power and would not want anyone else to go through the same. People are vulnerable.

Underdog

Abuse?
Posted by: kath ()
Date: August 04, 2006 03:22PM

by Jaqueline Masterson

[www.powells.com]

Publisher Comments:
It's the 1890s, and Professor Otto Ulrich runs a bizarre, exclusive clinic that caters to the faddish and perverted aristocrats of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Ulrich promises to cure young men and women of nymphomania, hysteria and unsuitable infatuations. However, his wealthy clients find that although his treatments are of questionable use in repressing their lusts, for those with depressed libidos, they can work wonders.
------------

Is the first search result on google. The phrase sounds too much like a euphemism for something else. You need to get this therapist to at least explain what he means, and give you some links/references of this treatment being in use by someone else who seems trustworthy.

As far as I know, current treatment of self-injury is that it's a coping mechanism, they don't try and 'stop' you doing it. I'm not sure how that works myself but I know from friends that have been in hospital that they were not stopped from doing it while in treatment, the treatment focussed more on letting them talk about their feelings and on raising their self-esteem.

I'm not a therapist so I'm not in a position to advise you on your mental health. What I would suggest is that you bring someone along with you to your next session with this Dr. If you'd rather not have a relative, contact your local mental health charity in advance and they should be able to arrange for you to have a mental health advocate with you. Then while the other person is present, ask him for more details and tell him of your doubts.

Hope this helps,
Love
Kath

Abuse?
Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: August 05, 2006 02:17AM

kath
As far as I know, current treatment of self-injury is that it's a coping mechanism, they don't try and 'stop' you doing it. I'm not sure how that works myself but I know from friends that have been in hospital that they were not stopped from doing it while in treatment, the treatment focussed more on letting them talk about their feelings and on raising their self-esteem.

what I talked about does not represent the mainstream and I don't even know if this particular therapist does it, I merely talk about what I think could work based on trial studies involving more classically compulsive behavior, like handwashing.

I coud go on an angry rant about how such low expectations both for itself and its clients, except that I feel bad enough today.

Abuse?
Posted by: LCC ()
Date: September 16, 2006 07:54AM

Before I could give an educated opinion I would need far more information from Blue.

There was the origional post and then several other posts that followed. However, nothing was answered. Instead, all I read was other individuals experiences with different therapy.

Blue could you possibly give more information on your origional post?
Before anyone suggests to run over the love word understand that most therapy require empowerment and in order to achieve that, one must love themself. I almost positive that the word "love" was and has been taken out of context here.

Abuse?
Posted by: Blue ()
Date: September 16, 2006 10:03AM

wanted to thank you all for your insights...I read your advice too late I guess for me.
was helpful I guess in some ways but very brutal. yes he restrain me, to say the least....he was not what he said.
I was badly hurt. was much more than "corrective therapy" on the book you showed implied...
feel ridiculious.
will not reveal names. don't tbother asking.
just needed to say something here.
Blue

Abuse?
Posted by: sanebiker ()
Date: September 17, 2007 09:48AM

Yes, I have to admit it. When I was in Fresno CA, I kicked a preachers a** literally, but when the cops came, he refused to press charges. I guess he shouldn't have told me, in front of his congregation, that if I hit him, God would strike me dead. I tested his hypothesis - he tested his landing skills. :lol:

Abuse?
Date: September 17, 2007 09:53AM

Blue
Hi,

I don't know if this will be considered abuse because it will be carried out by a professional Psychiatrist. He says it is "corrective therapy". It basically means using force to re-program me not to continue self harming. he will use extreme measures but says it will be controlled and not abusive. and done with love, not malice. I am wondering if anyone else has gone through this form of therapy and if it was helpfull.

Blue

Have you ever considered buying part of the Brooklyn Bridge? They're selling commemorative bricks that have fallen off the Brooklyn Bridge that can now be purchased. If you have the money you could literally buy the Brooklyn Bridge in its entirety. Just thought you should know.

Abuse?
Date: September 17, 2007 09:57AM

Blue
...he was not what he said.
I was badly hurt. was much more than "corrective therapy" on the book you showed implied...

No!! ...OMG!! ...Really?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.