Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Abuse?
Posted by: Blue ()
Date: June 04, 2006 11:48AM

Hi,

I don't know if this will be considered abuse because it will be carried out by a professional Psychiatrist. He says it is "corrective therapy". It basically means using force to re-program me not to continue self harming. he will use extreme measures but says it will be controlled and not abusive. and done with love, not malice. I am wondering if anyone else has gone through this form of therapy and if it was helpfull.

Blue

Options: ReplyQuote
Abuse?
Posted by: kath ()
Date: June 05, 2006 01:49PM

Leave him and get a new doctor immediately. If you have the strength, report him.

I just googled and it's as I thought- I don't think this is a practice regularly used by any other shrink.

It's his personal kink- both sick and not proven to work.

Love
Kath

Abuse?
Posted by: spectrum ()
Date: July 08, 2006 03:15AM

Blue
He says it is "corrective therapy". It basically means using force to re-program me not to continue self harming. he will use extreme measures but says it will be controlled and not abusive. and done with love, not malice.
[b:585885659b]
RUN! RUN AWAY! RUN FAR AWAY![/b:585885659b][/color:585885659b][/size:585885659b]

I find that [b:585885659b]Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)[/b:585885659b]is helping me. It also helps bulimia and trauma survivors by teaching your brain how to evaluate your feelings and emotions before you act on them.

You might want to search for info about DBT on the web. There is much out there. The therapists trained in it are kinda hard to find! :wink:

Abuse?
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: July 08, 2006 07:21PM

Love doesn't enter the equation in a doctor-client relationship. Run!

Abuse?
Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: July 31, 2006 07:05PM

Blue,

did he say something like, he would physically restrain you from hurting yourself?

I had read about this as a way to cope with compulsive handwashing, etc.

as soon as you get the urge you get forced not to act on it and after enough repetitions the urge will die down.

to me that sounds pretty effective. you get used to having the impulse and, no matter how strong (because when physically restrained you just don't have the option) of not acting upon it. this doesn't sound bad to me.

Abuse?
Posted by: kath ()
Date: August 01, 2006 04:46AM

This 'therapist' sounds very shady. There is no mention of restraint, but 'correction.'
Love
Kath

Abuse?
Posted by: Underdog ()
Date: August 02, 2006 03:59AM

Acid Reindeer
Blue,

did he say something like, he would physically restrain you from hurting yourself?

I had read about this as a way to cope with compulsive handwashing, etc.

as soon as you get the urge you get forced not to act on it and after enough repetitions the urge will die down.

to me that sounds pretty effective. you get used to having the impulse and, no matter how strong (because when physically restrained you just don't have the option) of not acting upon it. this doesn't sound bad to me.

Well, ONE question I have is how would this be accomplished? I mean this doctor would have to be with this person every second of evry day.

This DOES sound very bad to me. In addition to RUNNING AWAY FAST and seeking someone reputable, I suggest you see if there are any complaints against this person's license.

Abuse?
Date: August 03, 2006 07:26PM

Underdog
Well, ONE question I have is how would this be accomplished? I mean this doctor would have to be with this person every second of evry day.

the way it works, they delibaretely set out to trigger the obsessiveness, then thwart it, to train the brain to resist the action.

do it enough times and your brain and mind begin to figure out how to do it on their own.

Abuse?
Posted by: Underdog ()
Date: August 03, 2006 09:55PM

This may or may not work for somethings but for any form of self injury I highly doubt it.

People self injury for a variety of reason in a variety of ways -- most of which is done in private. Do you know what it takes to trigger self injury? Sometimes the client doesn't.

For those who self-harm in a dissociative states this is BEYOND dangerous. Only one trigger could unleash an avalanche of SI which could also morph into serious suicide attempts based upon being triggered (suicide and SI are NOT the same thing).

The risks and harm involved in this type of therapy far outweighs the benefits.

Underdog

[b:c3fca753c6]RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b:c3fca753c6][/size:c3fca753c6][/color:c3fca753c6]

Abuse?
Date: August 03, 2006 10:28PM

Underdog
This may or may not work for somethings but for any form of self injury I highly doubt it.

and why do you doubt it?

People self injury for a variety of reason in a variety of ways -- most of which is done in private. Do you know what it takes to trigger self injury? Sometimes the client doesn't.

does it matter what triggers the SI?

look, just this last Thursday I had a minor breakdown (since last year I have had them for causes un-related to cults). it so happened that a particular person triggered the response before boarding a bus before a bus ride of about an hour.

as it happened, he boarded the bus with me. as I had nowhere else to go except to break off my trip and did not want to break down again in front of someone I knew (before, I had hid myself before he saw me).

on the bus a woman started scolding her children and I just about started to scream.

the combination of circumstances made it so that I controlled myself. since that time I have had only one comparitively minor breakdown.

the principle works like this (think I explained it before, but here goes):

step one. brain says -- for whatever reason (again, reason or trigger irrelevant) -- "I want to, I will, hurt myself."

step two. the action does not go through.

step three. the brain now remembers the sensation of having the urge and not following through with the impulse.

For those who self-harm in a dissociative states this is BEYOND dangerous. Only one trigger could unleash an avalanche of SI which could also morph into serious suicide attempts based upon being triggered (suicide and SI are NOT the same thing).

the important part comes down to consent (the person wants to go through with this) and predictability (they know what will happen) and the fact that they have decided to do this to no longer SI.

incidentally, I have a long history with SI. however it doesn't bother me that I do it. I do it a lot less than I used to do it.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.