Hard to determine what topic I fit under
Date: September 17, 2021 02:29PM

I was on this site years ago when I seperated from an abusive threapist at 34. Went through reporting him to State. Long stroy short, he is no longer able to practice....Though still does, as a "Life Coach". I knew prior that he could. He can't live without feeling as if he is a "savior". So much so, that he even started his own off-shoot religion after I left him. Nuts, right? Yea, but just one part of my cult extravaganzas.

I was basically given away to another family when I was 12. I still lived at home, but my parents had no problem with me not being around. Problem is, it was a cult that I was handed over to. A small, narcisstic cult. Not like a specific religious cult leader so to say, but mom of this family also happened to be a therapist. So, her cult following, to this day, includes her clients, and the very few friends that she has. There was indoctrination, gas lighting, blah, blah. You name it, it happened. It took me 30 years to get out. BUt I got out, all on my own. With my own mind, my own choices - and that is a victory larger than my own life.

I feel as though while it's great I got out, I still notice so many brain fcks that I have to unravel. I was trained to hate myself, and I am done with it. I've worked on it for years, but it was always so elusive. Now I get it - trained. I was trained from a mere babe to feel that, because it benefited someone else. So sick.

My story is weird and long. Summary is hard, and is impossible to write within a single post. Just looking to see if anyone is out there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hard to determine what topic I fit under
Posted by: Abba Eliyahu ()
Date: February 19, 2022 04:09AM

Hi Out there,

I think you did a great job summarizing your experience and you have a lot to offer in terms of being a role model on how to extricate oneself.

I suggest making a list of topics and go into detail about it. For example, The cults I've been in from bad to worse, what I learnt in cults, steps to deprogramming, people I know and why they're still there and the anatomy of cult leaders.

Since you were proactive in fighting against cult leaders you can share what was rational and irrational fears.

Date: February 26, 2022 05:28AM

I thought you expressed yourself well. I suggest you break down your experience and/or what you learned into topics . For example, How I got hooked, What got me out, What I learned there, and Friends that couldn’t get out.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: February 26, 2022 09:36PM

There are plenty of us out there.

Here's how I got recruited.

My best friend mentioned her therapist every so often It was a background hum in our conversations.

X and I were close through our shared experiences in the peace movement. We got arrested and spent time in jail overnight.

After some years I was disoriented by a series of hardships and (this may be important here) unexpectedly came into some money. I was totally unprepared and shattered by guilt. Worst of all, I was living by myself for the first time. Left school, no friends other than X.

I went to Xs therapist and was led quite skillfully into bondage.

Guy was associated with a group many consider a cult. X was in that group too.

It was very many years before I escaped and I was much poorer and far more messed up than when I first asked for Xs therapists phone number.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2022 09:38PM by corboy.

Date: February 28, 2022 08:52PM

Interesting, a real lesson on how important it is to be connected with family. A person without family is like a boat without an anchor, he can’t stop and reflect. The only thing family and friends have in common are the letters “i” and “f” to remind us to ask the following question: If my family isn't on board with my friend, I should proceed with caution.

You write: (I) went through reporting him to the state. Long story short, he is no longer able to practice....though still does, as a "Life Coach".

I would like you to elaborate on the long story as this is crucial. How did you do it? How long did it take from the time you thought about it and took action? Was it scary? Did you have support? Did you have doubt? This is important for those of us who need someone to model. Thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.