Question about therapist
Posted by: anna1979 ()
Date: January 06, 2006 06:26PM

I have a question about a Psychiatrist I was hoping I could get some advice with. A female relative of mine has been visiting a male psychiatrist for some time as she was depressed & had really bad mood swings.

Over the course of the therapy, she's told me certain things that have happened, like they talk about sexual things, but not in the usual way you'd expect a doctor to talk to his patient. Apparently he's told her she is beautiful & she's asked him questions about his personal life (which he answered). She told me of one incident where they were having a therapy session and somehow the conversation got onto underwear and she told him she was wearing pink undies. He replied "I'm jealous!". She laughed & said to him "Jealous of me for wearing pink undies" to which he replied "No- jealous of your undies!".

Now I find out that they've been out to dinner together, they've been to the movies and she has stayed over at his house a few times. She says he understands her and he apparently told her he wants her with him. She is well and truly over the age of consent for sex (she is 21 years old) and he is in his 30's, so the age factor isn't the issue, but isn't this sort of relationship still illegal? Couldn't he lose his licence to practice? He's a psychiatrist, so he's an actual medical doctor, not just a counsellor!!

I believe what this relative has told me because she's not a liar or delusional or anything like that (she just had some depression that she wanted to get sorted). She's intelligent & attractive, so I can see why he likes her. Still, I think it's wrong. I don't know who to go to about this and I just wanted some advice first. Thankyou. :?:

Options: ReplyQuote
Question about therapist
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 06, 2006 08:02PM

This would likely be something to discuss with the psychiatrist's licensing board in that state.

It should be against the ethical code he works under.

You might also seek a second opinion from another doctor.

Question about therapist
Posted by: bonnie ()
Date: January 07, 2006 03:48AM

As far as I know, it's always unethical for a therapist to have a sexual relationship with a client. There is a power imbalance inherent in the relationship, and the therapist is taking advantage of the client if he pursues the relationship.

The basis of therapy is that the therapist takes a role similar to that of the parent and solicits the client's trust. In most cases this involves a type of regression on the part of the client to a more trusting, childlike state, in order that she will be more willing to see the fallacies of her thinking and behavior and make a change for the better. If viewed in this light, soliciting a sexual or love relationship from a client is similar to child molestation, regardless of the age of the client.

It might be possible that if the therapist were to find himself irresistibly drawn to the patient, perhaps even feeling that she is "the one", he might back off and retire as her therapist, and choose to have a relationship with her instead. This might (read: Might) cover the legal aspects, but probably not the ethical ones, because the power imbalance has already been established. But people are humans, and cannot always find it within themselves to follow the rules.

If the therapist continues to pursue a relationship with a client while acting as her therapist he is behaving in a morally reprehensible way by any standards. Every therapist I have ever known is well aware of what I have written here.

Question about therapist
Posted by: jjjbarry ()
Date: September 16, 2007 01:16AM

report the guy

Question about therapist
Posted by: sanebiker ()
Date: September 17, 2007 10:07AM

I went to a psychiatrist in Berkeley Ca, just for the heck of it, to see what he would say. (Yeah, I like playing mind games with the "professionals") It was covered under my Blue / Cross Blue Shield benefits. After an hour of "therapy" he suggested I take some meds. I told him HE needed the meds more than I did just for making the suggestion. (I lit up a joint and self medicated once I got out on the street.)

Made me wonder why some people are so gullible to trade one type of mind fu*cking for another. Guess I’m guilty too though. I quit smoking weed, ride a Harley, and worship at the shirne of Willie G. Davidson.

Question about therapist
Date: October 05, 2007 09:53AM

anna1979
I have a question about a Psychiatrist I was hoping I could get some advice with. A female relative of mine has been visiting a male psychiatrist for some time as she was depressed & had really bad mood swings.

Over the course of the therapy, she's told me certain things that have happened, like they talk about sexual things, but not in the usual way you'd expect a doctor to talk to his patient. Apparently he's told her she is beautiful & she's asked him questions about his personal life (which he answered). She told me of one incident where they were having a therapy session and somehow the conversation got onto underwear and she told him she was wearing pink undies. He replied "I'm jealous!". She laughed & said to him "Jealous of me for wearing pink undies" to which he replied "No- jealous of your undies!".

Now I find out that they've been out to dinner together, they've been to the movies and she has stayed over at his house a few times. She says he understands her and he apparently told her he wants her with him. She is well and truly over the age of consent for sex (she is 21 years old) and he is in his 30's, so the age factor isn't the issue, but isn't this sort of relationship still illegal? Couldn't he lose his licence to practice? He's a psychiatrist, so he's an actual medical doctor, not just a counsellor!!

I believe what this relative has told me because she's not a liar or delusional or anything like that (she just had some depression that she wanted to get sorted). She's intelligent & attractive, so I can see why he likes her. Still, I think it's wrong. I don't know who to go to about this and I just wanted some advice first. Thankyou. :?:

Danger Bill Robbinson!

IT'S UNETHICAL, BOUNDARY VIOLATION; ABUSE!!!!!

It is NEVER OK TO SEE A PATIENT OUTSIDE THE OFFICE! Please read transference and countertransference, grooming process, slippery slope of psychiatrists. All research states it is NOT IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE PATIENT!

My T - former psychiatrist that I was seeing for 2.5 yrs over a work related incident - abused me sexually! His receptionist knows and was consequently fired!

REPORT, REPORT, REPORT, REPORT, REPORT, REPORT, REPORT, REPORT,REPORT,REPORT,REPORT,REPORT,REPORT,REPORT,REPORT!

In Australia, they will lose their registration with the fellowship of psychiatrist, but 'may' still work in private practice, but not offer medical rebates!

HE IS LYING TO YOUR FRIEND! HE HAS GROOMED HER FOR SEX!

Report this @&^%^@%&!

SSR

Question about therapist
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: October 06, 2007 04:45AM

[www.advocateweb.org]

The above will bring you to a website dedicated to getting information about dual relationships, broken ethical boundaries and recovery. There is also a link to the old advocateweb that has a lot of good info.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.