LSD in Therapy
Posted by: andychee ()
Date: October 20, 2006 08:46AM

Somebody just sent me this article about how some doctors want to experiment with LSD on their patients like they did in the 1960s.

[abcnews.go.com]

Tripping Your Way to Sobriety
"Oct. 16, 2006 — Imagine this.
You are hooked on alcohol and you want help getting off the booze.
You go to your doctor, and he or she says, "Drop some acid."
That's right. LSD, the infamous drug of choice for many hippies in the 1960s and '70s.

Erika Dyck, an assistant professor at the University of Alberta, Canada, researches and teaches the history of medicine.
She raised the issue after studying a series of LSD tests of alcohol-addicted patients carried out in the 1960s in Saskatchewan. The tests were done by British psychiatrists Humphrey Osmond and John Smythies.
She tells ABC News that two-thirds of the alcoholics stopped drinking for at least 18 months after receiving one dose of LSD, compared to 25 percent who stopped after group therapy, and 12 percent after individual therapy.
According to Dyck, even Alcoholics Anonymous endorses the LSD research.
Alcoholics Anonymous "felt that one of the major obstacles to joining Alcoholics Anonymous was 'Step 2, admitting that there is a higher power.'"

I remember reading here that the guys who started AA used LSD in experiments to help quit drinking. This is brand new so I thought I'd post it.

Options: ReplyQuote
LSD in Therapy
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: October 24, 2006 09:58AM

[www.maps.org]

The above link will bring you to all the research on using psychadelics therapeutically.

My doctor wanted to try MDMA (ecstasy) and claimed to have used it therapeutically on others.

I attended one of The Prophets conferences in NYC with speakers Ram Das, Huston Smith, Stan Grof and others, and the audience was filled with psychologists and other providers boasting of their triumphs with LSD and other drugs. THat was about 1999, 2000.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.