Current Page: 17 of 35
Alcholics Anonymous should be regarded as a cult.
Posted by: Colter ()
Date: July 21, 2006 10:03PM

barabara
to colter:
The question is in bold red. Are you just being clever?

Yes, you're very funny.

There is no point in discussing this further with you, as you will obviously use any trick at your disposal to obfuscate the argument.

Furthermore, you continually resort to insult to do so.

I am through with you, (but not this topic).

Barbera,

None of my comments in my last post to you were in any way intended to be offensive. Your being overly sensitive. If you will look back at my post you will see that I made 2 self deprecating comments intended to be humorous. It was my intent to lighten up the debate.

I will answer your question or questions as soon as you define the abuses and manipulation that you speak of. When you define for everyone what these abuses are I would also like you to provide examples of how AA condones any abuses of any kind.

I just have to point out a glaring double standard in your last post. You have said on a number of occasions that alcoholics are very flawed people which I agree with. Their are people with a variety of disorders that end up on our dour steps of AA. But now your endorsing a secular group whose principles are healthy scepticism or (doubt) and the idea that alcohol or not drinking is their only aim ignoring the underling "flaws" of the alcoholic that lead to drinking??????

So in AA we are asked to take full responsibility for our behavior and address our flaws yet in SOS they are only dealing with drinking??????????

Tell me something Barbara, if members of SOS imposes any of their "flawed behavior" on other members are you going to blame SOS? Are you going to call them a cult? The same kind of flawed people are going to show up at SOS or RR or The Sober Viking!!!

Suppose some new vulnerable individual with a fragile spiritual concept is dissuaded from having faith in God by the "healthy skepticisms" of SOS, are you going to define that as evil intent and manipulation?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 21, 2006 10:15PM

barabara
[b:0467df30b4]What is AA doing to try to stop manipulative and exploitive treatment of newcomers to AA by other members?[/b:0467df30b4]

[www.orange-papers.org]
I love this guy!

Two of:

[b:0467df30b4]The Twelve Biggest Lies of A.A.[/b:0467df30b4]

[b:0467df30b4]Everything good that A.A. members do is Alcoholics Anonymous, but the bad things that A.A. members do is not really A.A... If a sponsor does some despicable thing that is not council-approved to a sponsee, then that doesn't count.[/b:0467df30b4]

No reasonable person would criticize A.A., because A.A. is a wonderful organization that has saved millions.
• Anyone who criticizes Alcoholics Anonymous is just a dry drunk.
• Or he's just somebody who doesn't want to quit drinking.
• Or he's just somebody who doesn't want to get too good too soon.
• Or he's just an atheist who can't stand to hear the terrible 'G' word "God" mentioned.
• Or he's just somebody who is boxing with God.

Birds of a feather do flock together. :roll:

Actually the truth is that the good that AA members do is a revelation of God in their lives, they give credit to God.

When AA members fall short that is their human imperfection, our failure to live up to the will of the Father. Were not saints, the point is we are WILLING to grow along spiritual lines. We claim spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection.

Some hold AA members to an impossible standard as a mechanism for EGO survival themselves. If they can find fault with AA then they don't have to take an honest look at themselves.

Intolerance of others FAITH suggest that you entertain secret doubts about your own.

If the true Atheist were secure in their "doctrine of doubt" they would not have the need to go out and attack people of faith. They would simply ignore them and go have a happy, doubtful, meaningless life. :D

Colter

Posted by: barabara ()
Date: July 21, 2006 10:36PM

One note about SOS; it seems that even the courts are beginning to recognize the possibility of other forms of recovery than AA:
[www.secularhumanism.org]

Today there are SOS groups meeting in every state, as well as in other countries. SOS has gained recognition from rehabilitation professionals and the nation's court systems.
[b:3fc424a460]In November of 1987, the California courts recognized SOS as an alternative to AA in sentencing offenders to mandatory participation in a rehabilitation program[/b:3fc424a460].
After, 19 years, knowledge of these non-religious forms of recovery has not yet reached the less metropolitan area of the country I live in.
Publicly-funded rehabilitation centers, and, (as far as I know), the courts, here, still rely solely on God and the 12 steps.
I have not heard of anyone being offered SOS or another alternative to AA.
I will be curious to see whether SOS and its members, without the endorsement of the divine, will be more inclined to take moral and ethical responsibility for the behaviors of their members.

More on the infamous memo:

[www.guardian.co.uk]

[b:3fc424a460]AA acts on rising reports of attacks by volunteers[/size:3fc424a460][/b:3fc424a460]

An internal memorandum circulated to every Alcoholics Anonymous group in the country reveals that volunteer members are increasingly being investigated by police forces examining allegations of sexual abuse.
Public exposure of the memo is embarrassing to AA, but the document itself was being interpreted yesterday as an attempt by the group to confront the ills which have long dogged other voluntary organisations.
A senior alcohol addiction worker said: "It came as a bit of a shock to me and I have never picked up on these allegations before.
It is understood the chair of AA's York-based general services board drafted the memo after being made aware of the rising number of police investigations. It was issued as a consultation document to autonomous groups across the country and the board is hoping to find new ways of framing guidance to prevent further abuse.
It warns that the organisation has the "potential to become a breeding ground for predatory behaviour".[/color:3fc424a460]
A spokeswoman for AA yesterday confirmed the leaked document was genuine, but refused to comment further.
According to the memo, AA does feel that on some level they are responsible for the welfare of their members.

With the widespread coverage, on the internet, at any rate, of sexual and other forms of predation within AA, I find it extremely difficult to believe that a "senior alcohol addiction worker" would never have heard of this before the memo was released.
Such is the power of denial.

Of course, this is in the UK.
I have no information on whether or not a similar memo was released in the US, or if any measures other than the release of a memo have been taken.

On a lighter note, here is a link to the South Park parody of Alcoholics Anonymous, "Bloody Mary":
[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 21, 2006 11:56PM

Barbara,

I knew you had a sense of humor in there somewhere, the South Park parody was hilarious!!!!!

I like the part about his dad being a hypochondriac, this common trait of alcoholics leads some people to a paranoid state wherein they begin to think AA is a cult and makes people alcoholic.

........the persistence of the allusion is astonishing!

thanks

Colter

Posted by: IndieQueen ()
Date: July 22, 2006 02:29AM

Barbara,

Funny you should mention SOS. I spoke with the founder twice last week as part of my current class. I believe he also did an episode of Penn and Teller BS a few years back. The thing I liked about SOS is they don't shun conventional therapy which is something I found some other alternative to 12-step programs do. I have some literature coming from him shortly. When I get it, I can post the highlights if you want. He and his group have been very vocal about getting alternatives to AA introduced in court sentencing. You know, it's kind of funny. I called many substance abuse professionals last week for a project for class, he is the only one who returned my call. I realize that an addict in crisis is certainly more important thana student with a project, but you'd think addiction professionals would be willing to help prosepective addiction professionals. No such luck.

Kath, you bring up a very good point. When a person has a dual-diagnosis, both issues need to be addressed. Treating just the addiction aspect isn't enough no matter which recovery program the person chooses to use. It's something that substance abuse and mental health agencies are starting to address more now.

Date: July 22, 2006 03:24AM

There is certainly a wealth of material, pro, on, and off in all directions, available on the internet, about the 12 steps.

This is an interesting website run by AA members and loyalists. Their primary purpose would seem to be keeping AA free to all, and speaking the truth about what goes on in the organization.

[gsowatch.aamo.info]

Our Mission: We, of Alcoholics Anonymous feel nothing is of greater importance to the future of the global AA fellowship -that is the local groups and individual alcoholics worldwide- than to recover and unselfishly help others to recover from alcoholism

This article by an anonymous AA member discusses, (among other things, the cover-up of objectionable behavior among AA members.

[gsowatch.aamo.info]

On February 3rd, 1990 I attended my first AA meeting. I was not to drink alcohol or do drugs from that day on, and I remain sober to this day.
I was in my mid-twenties and had never been to any 12-step program in my life. I was looking for help and just didn't know where to go. A friend suggested I go and check out this meeting. He had told me these people helped him with the same problems I described to him. I had no idea what I was walking into. Little did I know it would be a blessing and a curse.
As I studied the available literature, I learned a great deal about the founders and as well as the Christian history of AA. As I read and learned, I would share this newfound info and its impact in meetings. I had also met a woman in an Alano club and started dating her. I greatly enjoyed learning and thinking again. My reasoning was simple--if the founders of the program created it, they surely would reveal the goals and secrets of this 12-step magic. The flowing opinions and rumors roaming about were plentiful. So I studied and searched.

During this time, I had received a very intense lack of support from within the fellowship.[b:8958d115c7] At times, I was warned that thinking could get me drunk. This concept confused and angered me. Thinking was bad, wrong and destructive? [/b:8958d115c7]I quickly was forced to find a rebuttal for this attack. I would reply, all thinking can't be bad; I think the 12-steps helped me, so how can thought be bad?

I had stumbled onto a copy of the original manuscript of the Big Book and studied that. Since I was on the board of directors of this Alano club I frequented, I suggested that we print and distribute this manuscript, which was very direct and was not watered down. It also was not edited as the current edition was. My position was that we should have any literature for sale at our private club that might enhance knowledge and understanding of our fellowship. We agreed to think it over and meet the following week. Much to my surprise, when we met that following week, four representatives from AAWS (Alcoholics Anonymous World Services) corporate headquarters were there to speak. My girlfriend was downstairs and waited patiently.

This wasn't happening, this couldn't be happening.[b:8958d115c7] Right before my eyes these representatives were suggesting this information was harmful and not to be distributed.[/b:8958d115c7] In logic, we call this form of argument ad misericordian. They were appealing to the sympathy of the newcomer to the board. I was still in shock that these trusted servants would attend a private meeting at a private club and use their status as a means to accomplish their task.

The other board members quickly were subdued by the assumed authoritative positions. But I was not. This was a private club under its own bylaws and private charter. This group of representatives had no authority in matters dealing with the activities and actions of this club. Nonetheless, before my eyes, they molded the minds of the members using fear of outcast from AAWS.

After the meeting, I confronted the group and told them they were in violation of their own traditions. After we debated some issues, when their arguments no longer held up, they asked me if I would consider becoming a representative. They said they needed people like me. To this day, I find this amusing.

I could no longer deny the fact that the more time I had under my belt sober, the more I saw unhealthy behavior and reasoning amongst my peers.[b:8958d115c7] I saw the notion of being powerless taken to the extreme. [/b:8958d115c7]The claim that meetings were important was only coming from within the meetings. Types of circular reasoning based on superstition ran rampant. [b:8958d115c7]A radical anti-intellectual theme coupled with moral silence filled the fellowship.[/b:8958d115c7] There was this silent agreement amongst the group, raised to an eerie level.[b:8958d115c7] No matter what the conduct of a member, no one ever spoke up.[/b:8958d115c7] At four years sober, reality met me face to face.

[b:8958d115c7]It is commonplace in meetings to hear about how someone did a wrong, yet were celebrated because they didn't drink after doing that wrong. [/b:8958d115c7]The phrase still angers me today: [b:8958d115c7]But I didn't drink.[/b:8958d115c7] The I didn't drink over it mindset was applauded when my x-girlfriend shared about her emotional turmoil. The true irony was that she induced her own turmoil and was applauded for her abstinence.

I wish to assure you I have no anger towards AA or the fellowship; I write out of concern for those engulfed in the 12-step subculture. In all of my study and historical readings I have found one common theme. [b:8958d115c7]Early AA was about bringing you back to society and living life, not about creating a subculture and cult-like mentality to dwell in. [/b:8958d115c7]So even today you will find some within AA that deny its current trends. It is akin to a civil war. No one seems to care. No one is listening. The 75k yearly incomes of AAWS representatives, the contradictory logic, the ignorance of history, the immorality, the self-defeating notions of God and the control superstition has on them is meaningless in the feeling-dominated culture they have created. They feel good and that's all that matters. [b:8958d115c7]The goal is to feel good at any cost, regardless of the reasoning and ramifications.[/b:8958d115c7] Some in the fellowship truly believe without the fellowship or meetings they will not survive. Strange how it hasn't dawned on any of them that they heard that in a meeting or from the fellowship itself.

May God bless and help those who are seeking recovery to become healthy, moral and productive citizens once again.

Author's note: You are welcome to do as you wish with my article (that includes gso.org). It is a gift.[b:8958d115c7] We should never run from truth, but embrace it.[/b:8958d115c7] If I can ever help an alcoholic, I will. This includes dignity, truth and honor.

Date: July 22, 2006 04:05AM

From a NON_AA web site, deffinition of the alcoholic personality.

To gain insight, consider carefully this commonly accepted list of personality traits found in the addicted person. These are characteristics that occur in normal people, but in the addict are exaggerated and uncontrolled. These things render addicts[b:17d5f7cb76] incapable of being at peace[/b:17d5f7cb76].

[b:17d5f7cb76]Low Frustration and Tolerance[/b:17d5f7cb76] seems to be the most consistent trait. This is the inability to endure, for any length of time, any uncomfortable circumstances or feeling. The addict is impatient.

[b:17d5f7cb76]Anxiety[/b:17d5f7cb76] that state which seems to exist in all people, exists in an exaggerated way in addicted persons. They are subject to nameless dreads and fears. This anxiety drives alcoholics and addicts to "fight or flight". Sometimes this is called free-floating anxiety.

[b:17d5f7cb76]Grandiosity [/b:17d5f7cb76]is worn as a protective armour to hide feelings of low self-esteem. In reality, although addicts nourish an inflated image of themselves, their deep conviction is one of self-worthlessness.

[b:17d5f7cb76]Perfectionism[/b:17d5f7cb76] sets impossible goals with inevitable failures and resultant guilt. The alcoholic/addict is an idealist. This idealism may be one of the reasons for success after recovery. They can be exceptionally fine workers once the illness has been arrested and after the perfectionism has been reduced to reasonable proportions.

[b:17d5f7cb76]Justification [/b:17d5f7cb76]Addicts are masters at this. Justification is the science of arranging to do what we want to do, then making it appear reasonable.

[b:17d5f7cb76]Isolation[/b:17d5f7cb76] and deep insecurity deprive the addict of the real generosity needed to make close and enduring friendships. They become loners.

[b:17d5f7cb76]Sensitivity [/b:17d5f7cb76]exaggerates all the unpleasant interpersonal relationships experienced by the addicted person. This inevitably produces extreme resentment.

[b:17d5f7cb76]Impulsiveness[/b:17d5f7cb76] "I want what I want when I want it." This is probably related to a low frustration tolerance. In some ways the addict takes pride in this impulsiveness, as though it were a valuable asset.

The alcoholic/addict can't seem to enjoy a job or task and long before completion is already moving on to something else.

[b:17d5f7cb76]Defiance[/b:17d5f7cb76] is a common response to society as a whole, whether the addict is under the influence or not. This is associated with a feeling that one does not fit, exactly, into society.

[b:17d5f7cb76]Dependence[/b:17d5f7cb76] on other persons exists in an exaggerated form in most alcoholics/addicts.

Colter

Date: July 22, 2006 04:51AM

[b:aebeb82df9]Indie queen[/b:aebeb82df9]:
I discovered SOS while checking out the possibility that there might be a "secularist revolt", or conspiracy, as referred to in several posts.
I discovered the website of the secular humanists, and on their website found out about SOS.
Please do post the information you spoke of.

[www.netdoctor.co.uk]

(Written by Dr. Ciaran Mulholland, consultant psychiatrist/senior lecturer in mental health)

[b:aebeb82df9]Men and addiction[/b:aebeb82df9][/size:aebeb82df9]

[b:aebeb82df9]Men are much more likely to be addicted to alcohol and other substances than women.[/b:aebeb82df9] Two thirds of attendees at Alcoholics Anonymous are men (although this figure was 80 per cent in 1972).

Never being married or becoming single is associated with increased alcohol consumption, while getting married is associated with a drop in alcohol consumption.

The phrase 'addictive personality' is used so commonly in our culture that few of us question whether an addictive personality type really exists, yet [b:aebeb82df9]many doctors and psychiatrists believe that the term means nothing. [/b:aebeb82df9]Certainly, [b:aebeb82df9]there is little evidence for an addictive personality as such. [/b:aebeb82df9]

[b:aebeb82df9]It is important to remember that no personality is immune to addiction.[/b:aebeb82df9]
Modern, well-organised studies do not support a role for personality in addiction.

Among mental health researchers and other mental health professionals, there are highly divergent opinions as to whether or not the "addictive personality" even exists.

In the approved AA literature, the alcoholic personality is described as if it were a proven scientific fact, which it is not.

Many alcoholics and addicts do not fit the profile described in the big book to any large degree, but, then again, many do.

Viewing all addicts and alcoholics as basically similar can only serve to restrict treatment.
Those who do not fit the assumed standard might not benefit from treatment devised for these types.
Allowing for differences in personality type and type and level of psychological disfunction would require that various forms of treatment be available.
[b:aebeb82df9] A "one size fits all" approach to treating alcoholism and addiction is undoubtedly not the most effective way of dealing with the problem.[/b:aebeb82df9]

Posted by: dwest ()
Date: July 23, 2006 04:45AM

I agree that one size fits all does not work. But bring up SOS or SMART in an AA/NA/Al-Anon meeting and all heck breaks loose. You get those looks at you like "poor newbie doesn't get it". Some members may outright tell you that they are giving up on you.

It is very sad that the XA programs can not admit there are other 'truths' out there, and that people are different.

Date: July 24, 2006 03:35AM

The unwillingness to admit that other forms of recovery might be valid is rampant among AA fundamentalists. In many ways, this is analogous to a cult's conviction that it has the sole truth and the only valid concept of God.

I am posting this link to a well-documented inquiry into the cult-like aspects of AA.

[www.freedomofmind.com]

[b:bf3187467b]Is Alcoholics Anonymous a Cult??An Old Question Revisited[/b:bf3187467b]

© L. Allen Ragels (paraphrased from original article)

As early as 1962, alcohologists Morris E. Chavez and Harold W. Demone, jr., commented on their observations of the cult like aspects of AA.

Two decades before, in 1944, Robert Freed Bales saw “potentially disturbing structural features of Alcoholics Anonymous.” These features might appear to some to denote a cult mentality. Bales commented that AA did not appreciate individual members, and that it did not matter who believed and performed the functions characteristic of the group's structure, "as long as somebody did."

In 1964, Jerome Ellison, writer, restated Arthur Cain's observations about AAs tendency towards cultism and narrow orthodoxy which limited the therapeutic value of the program.
Ellison also quoted Cain; “[b:bf3187467b]The fanatics who prevail in some groups seem bent on making AA into a hostile, fundamentalist religion[/b:bf3187467b],” one letter writer avowed.

In 1989, cult researcher Marc Galanter wrote that AA, from its beginning, had the characteristics of a charismatic cult, such as "strongly felt shared belief, intense cohesiveness, experiences of altered consciousness, and a potent influence on members’ behavior. . . .and [b:bf3187467b]the expression of views opposed to the group’s model of treatment is subtly or expressly discouraged.”
[/b:bf3187467b]
In 1979, sociologist Robert Tournier noted that “Alcoholics Anonymous has come to dominate alcoholism both as ideology and as method. . . . [b:bf3187467b]It has always covertly supported, and been supported by, a powerful cartel of organizations that make up what historians and sociologists call the Alcoholism Movement."
[/b:bf3187467b]
Many organizations have adopted the 12 step creed and the AA view of alcoholism as the result of a coordinated social movement.

[b:bf3187467b]Viewed as the Twelve Step Alcoholism Movement, rather than as a single isolated organization, the Program actually looks more cult-like and sinister.[/b:bf3187467b]

Sociologists Alexander and Rollins infiltrated AA meetings in the guise of AA members in order to get the inside story.
They later measured AA by criteria devised by Robert J. Lifton, author of "Thought reform and the Psychology of Totalism", 1961, a classic study of brainwashing and thought reform.
The two researchers concluded that “AA uses all the methods of brain washing, which are also the methods employed by cults...It is our contention that AA is a cult.”

[b:bf3187467b]They amended Lifton's criteria with the addition of "love-bombing and family substitution"[/b:bf3187467b], the former being the tool whereby family substitution could be more quickly and readily accomplished.

Those who are recovering in AA, or who have had loved ones join the Program, are understandably reluctant to see anything untoward in the organization they feel has benefitted them immeasurably. But AA has been labeled a cult, not just by its calumniators and critics, but by some of its sincerest friends and supporters.
Many AA members use a standard response to charges of brainwashing with a clichéd witticism, saying, "well, my brain certainly needed washing".

The author of the linked article concludes;

Does AA use brainwashing, more properly known as mind control? Is AA a mind control environment? The answer is yes. AA uses all of the methods of mind control, which are also the methods used by cults.

Current Page: 17 of 35

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.