Current Page: 13 of 117
Re: Jack Hickman Cult Shoresh Yashi
Posted by: mennodoc ()
Date: March 30, 2008 10:25AM

The bishop of the Eastern District of the American Lutheran Church requested a consultation team from the Division for Theological Education, the Division for Life and Mission in the Congregation, and the Office of Support to Ministries (I'm summarizing from the visitation report and recommendation, 1977, with page numbers from the report). The team was asked to focus on the theological shape and substance of St. John's and Christ Lutheran churches, culminating in the question: "can this ministry be considered Lutheran?" (p. 2). The team decided, I think correctly: no. The three areas of concern "in this situation" were (1) the understanding of the church; (2) the understanding of the ministry; (3) the understanding of the Gospel. Under (1) the covenant community and the de-emphasis on Lutheran doctrines were discussed. "It is clear that the members of the covenant community do not identify themselves primarily with "the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints," and do not consider baptism to be the means by which the people of God are formed and united." (p. 4). Under (2) the irregular ordination of Jack Jacobs was noted. "The regularly called pastors affirm that they also consider their office to derive, not from the usual process of ordination and call, but from the action of the Spirit subsequent to their arrival in their present positions." (p.6) Under (3) the visitation team objected to the Words of Institution for Communion being inaudible and a general lack of Christological emphasis. The team characterized the teachings as "fundamentalist millenialism which is neither biblical nor confessional" (p. 8)

In a March 7, 1978 account of the report and its reception, in the Lutheran Standard, the clergy (Jack Hickman, John Hove, and Don Smestad) were said to protest the charge of fuzzy Christology.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xmember ()
Date: April 25, 2008 01:36PM

hungarian2
I was a close friend of a group member about 6yrs ago. I knew about many trips by their family to Colorado and Maine, including the purchasing of mass provisions for the Maine compound. From what I could gather, it was/is a doomsday cult. Everyone is preparing for the end days, and this Abba fellow annoints priest/warriors among the youth who will be the leaders of the great end days battle. He even gave them ceremonial daggers which are to be used in battle. 'Abba' claimed to have visions where the archangel michael spoke to him. I do actually recall being told back in 1998 or so about a vision of a terrible thing that would happen in NYC in 2002, and that this event would singal the beginning of the end-days.

I understood it to be a jewish mysticism themed group, and heard also about followers in Spain and Northern California as well as Colorado and Maine. The family I knew was very well-to-do and intelligent. But it was appearant that they were spending lots of money and time preparing the logistics for a long term stay in the Maine compound for when the end days come.

I also got bits and pieces of other oddities, such as the future end-days enemies being decendents of a fish-people race (I'm not making this up). The person I knew did get married about 3 yrs ago, I assume to another group member.

I'd love to know more about the 'visions', predictions, and current provisions they are undergoing if anyone knows.

Hungarian2, et al,

I just became familiar with this forum. It is interesting how many hits and members it has...the most of this website's sub-grouping. For those of you who have been told by a friend or family member "I'm going to just visit a friend in Maine," you MUST be very suspicious.

Many of the posts wonder about what is going on with this group, even though Hickman/Abba died reportedly in 04 (I'd like to know if Miranda, Pam and Steve know this as a fact).

The fact is this cult still continues to function (and damage people's lives), primarily in Maine and Colorado, as mentioned several times.

This group went through at least two "break up/testing" periods (the first one was the infamous "passing of the seed") and its subsequent phase many years later to reach out to some of those who had previously been "cut off." It is true, Hungarian2, what you summarized above. Actually, the garbage that passed as inspired sermons by "the Abba" after he came back from California and Colorado was even more bizarre than what you write. Besides a race of fish people, he was keen on scaring his remaining followers when they met at that Long Island hotel for a "reunion" that certain "watchers" from the super-secret part of the Family living in France were testing them. The new test was to see if the remaining core of family members were worthy of being united with the ancient blood line of the Abenzur's, the Abbadonna's, and Abulafia's. With his regal attire, "the Abba" claimed to create a new line of Kohanim (Jewish priests), whereby daggers were given to youngsters and teenagers, and if proven worthy would be taught the kabbalastic secrets given to Gary by "Abba." People were encouraged to marry only from within the family, needing permission from their "clan leader" to even date someone from another household or clan. Whatever Jewish concepts he had promoted ten years earlier were replaced with gibberage, a mixture of new age and fantasy literature with dabs of Holy Blood, Holy Grail. Everyone who wanted to stay part of the Family had to be adopted into a Maine "household" or a "clan". Everyone was expected - or outright told - to sell their properties on Long Island because a great tidal wave was going to sweep over Long Island and drown everyone left behind. In short order, dozens resettled to Maine, Colorado, or a spot approved by their respective clan leader. These clan leaders had to be connected to and report to one of the two top Family leaders. Certain faithful servants (such as Phil Ramu and Richie Walsh) were promoted and given to new titles and secret names at a big family ceremony. Those who were not part of the Maine "ministry" (those with houses for refuge in the Moosehead Lake region) were given a chance to move into a different family mission - more secular and socially oriented. Someone like Shane DeRolf took a large role in this. Gary Coons was revealed to be a High Priest. Followers were told of Gary's eventual marriage.

At that time and meeting, adults had a choice. Most decided their lives had more meaning and purpose if they stayed. Unfortunately, the youngsters - kids like KarmaMachine had been at Bet El - were not given a real choice. It seems most of the postings on this forum acknowledge that despite some of groups good feelings, it ultimately proved to be a controlling and harmful cult. If you know folks, especially young adults or teens, in this group, please help them. For their ultimate emotional health, they need to get out.

Posted by: xmember ()
Date: April 25, 2008 01:52PM

Since you quote him, I thought you'd like to know additional comments Rav Ariel made about this "Abba".

geraldtsmith
I found this online a while back ... I've include only portions of it. It was written by Rabbi Tzadok ... I believe some of it refers to Hove and Hickman.

"Orthodox Style" Missionaries Are Infiltrating Our Communities:

"These missionaries pulled the wool over the eyes of these Rabbis and over the eyes of others in their Orthodox communities"
This is not the first time or the first group to attempt such a fraud. Many years ago on Long Island, NY there was a similar group with similar intent. I myself was personally involved in fighting this group. After its leader was exposed as a fraud and as a possible homosexual and child molester, he went into hiding on the West Coast for over ten years. Most of his followers fell away, with some of them converting and apparantly becoming Orthodox Jews. Notice that I say "apparantly." The reason is that recently in the last two years this missionary leader has resurfaced and reclaimed many of his old followers. While a small number remain faithful Torah observant Jews who reject their past with the cult, others exposed themselves to be what they truly were, cult spies on a mission to learn more about Torah Judaism and the Orthodox community. These include a past president of one Young Israel congregation in mid Nassau County, a prominent member of one of the biggest Orthodox/Hasidic shuls in the Five Towns area of Long Island and at least one student of Yeshiva University. Some prominent Orthodox Rabbis in New York unknowingly converted others secretly belonging to this cult. These missionaries pulled the wool over the eyes of these Rabbis and over the eyes of others in their Orthodox communities.
Once the leader of this cult resurfaced these individuals moved out of their Orthodox communities and moved into a new cult compound. Their children, many of whom were raised in yeshivas, and were born kosher Jews, are now under the dominion of the cult leader who is instilling in them all types of missionary garbage, filth and lies. These children, I am afraid will be the ones to come back and cause the Jewish community great harm. Being born and raised among us, they will know how to best infiltrate us inflicting upon us the poison taught to them by their cult leader whom they call their "abba."
The most deceptive group of course is the resurrected Long Island cult, now located in two camps, one in Maine and one in Colorado. They claim that they are not interested in seeking new members and are thus not missionaries. Yet, the truth lies muddled and concealed within their armed compounds. Only two years ago scandal erupted in the Denver Jewish community when it was found out that two people going through the process of an Orthodox conversion were in fact missionary spies.
[/img]

You are quite right. Hove did convert according to Jewish laws, attended an Orthodox synagogue, and went around talking about his involvement in a messianic group. He remained committed, meanwhile to the fraud called "abba."

An update from Rav Ariel bar Tzadok:

"As long as this group stays unto itself it will most likely not cause any more harm to others on the outside. However if they ever again raise their ugly heads in the Jewish community, I believe it is obligatory to bring their presence to public awareness and to confront them with all that we can muster.

I feel pity for the young children of the die-hard members, who might be in danger of being sexually molested. Maybe it is equally obligatory for the right party to contact the social welfare department of the State of Maine and share with them what is known about this group and the danger some children may be facing. In light of similar recent events in the State of Texas maybe this is not such a bad idea.

If this group persists in its strange doctrines and theologies, it will eventually dissipate and disappear. Somehow I cannot believe that the children of Hickman's followers, many of whom are now having their own children will be willing to carry Hickman's poison into a third generation.

I predict this group will eventually fade away into the nothingness that it deserves. I just pray that not too many innocent people have to be hurt between now and then.

Please feel free to post this and my previous email in any forum that you consider might be of public value."

Furthermore, Rav Ariel bar Tzadok adds:

"Jack Hickman was an outright evil and disgusting man. That is all there is to it. We have been "blessed" in that we got to see evil "eye to eye." We can now recognize it in the future with greater ease.

Indeed, much of my teenage experiences have motivated me throughout my life to dedicate my time and efforts to reach out to those who have been lied to by the many charlatans we see today in the realms of religion.

A little knowledge can do a lot of damage. His followers to this day believe that they know a lot, yet they do not. All they have to do is learn honestly and be willing to admit that they have been deceived. I know that can be hard, but honesty and integrity do come at a price.

I have recently heard an old disgusting rumor that some Hickmanite or other confused or lying individuals have told about me, that I am somehow (G-d forbid) associated with or sympathetic to Hickman's beliefs or followers. Let me state for the record that all such claims are entirely false, and worse they are disgusting and evil.

For the record, from my personal experience, Jack Hickman was, in my opinion, a homosexual child molester, who at one time even tried to act inappropriately with me. Any claims that I would be sympathetic to such a monster are an intolerable lie!

I had long warned many that no good would come of him, I am seriously grieved that the efforts I made to reach out and educate his followers with the intent to ween them away from him and into true Torah were for the most part a failure.

I am sorry to see that after so many years the evil this man perpetuated outlives him. It is time that people move one with their lives. They should put this man and his evil out of their lives and memories and focus on true Torah and righteous living.

Learn this lesson from the past. You know what was wrong and evil. Now, do what is right and good. I for one am trying to do this."

Posted by: InnerCircle ()
Date: April 27, 2008 12:45PM

How active is the Maine group? I know Rich & Phil live very close to each other and are practicing Social work up there. After all those two went through you would think they would have not held onto the damage that was done to all of us when we were teenagers...very sad..Lots of teaching to all of us up there in Moose lake holds poor memories of very sick teachings.... by the deceased Jack Hickman

Posted by: Sallie ()
Date: May 06, 2008 11:43PM

Xmember wrote: For the record, from my personal experience, Jack Hickman was, in my opinion, a homosexual child molester, who at one time even tried to act inappropriately with me.

Dear Xmember,
Well said. He was repulsive.
BTW for anyone who doesn't know; "Abba'' means ''dad'' but I was told that it was a name ONLY to be used for god. In others words I was told it implied ''father god'' so...really...it doesn't get sicker than that. The fact that, as a child, I was using a term for this man that I was told means ''father god''...I become enraged when I think of it.

Phil Ramu and Rich Walsh...they need to be reported. One of them was a ''therapist'' for my friend's husband...long after the ''passing of the seed'' incident came to light. It was the early 90s I think. My friend had left this group and met an ''outsider''. They became engaged. Then some of her family recommended ''pre-marriage'' councelling. You can guess the rest. I believe I already posted once before that these people get into therapy and schools and even politics. This group will NOT DISSAPPEAR. Come on...they were a step ahead of the movie stars. Hickman was doing Kaballa before Madonna.

They start off with the ABC.s....that is...the Anything But Christianity doctrine. They all use mind control. They get people to abandon all ideas of a ''universal'' or ''objective'' system of bad/good. Then they slowly replace it with their OWN SUBJECTIVE VERSION of bad/good. Consequently....rubbing the penis of the ''incarnate father god''.....is good. Leaving the group is...bad...

Sick. Sick. Sick. Sick. Sick. And active as ever.

Deciding to Leave
Date: May 17, 2008 06:21AM

Deciding to Leave the Community

If, hypothetically, I had the opportunity to learn the truth and to have confidence in the veracity of what I learned, would I be interested? Yeah, sure.

In 1973, at age 13, I joined a youth Bible study of 1 Corinthians, held in Patchogue, and connected with the Fellowship. The church addressed by the apostle Paul was spirit –filled, charismatic, but had many problems. Paul wrote in his chapter on Love (Charity), “for our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect” (1 Cor. 13:9).

Sometime in the 1970s the Fellowship youth from all regions were addressed in Massapequa by a woman in the congregation, about the history of the congregation. She mentioned the charismatic revival and miracles of the 1960s. She related that the figure of an angel appeared on a wall in the sanctuary and was covered over, I suppose out of modesty. Pastor Jack Hickman also spoke about being given a mission and being visited by Satan in the sanctuary, who was beautiful, and who said Hickman could not succeed. These stories were I think common knowledge to many adults in St. John’s.

When the scandal broke in 1982 I was not at services and, as in many matters, I heard about things second-hand. I did not hear from any of the people in the know, with the exception of a meeting at Hickman’s home in Islip, where he admitted to some basic facts but tried to explain them. I heard that John Hove had gone to Israel where he met members of the Family, who confirmed Jack Hickman’s story. But I never heard from John Hove directly.

As I thought about the claims of Jack Hickman and the Community during 1982, I decided that knowing the truth was not my first priority. Not only that, but I did not have good prospects of knowing what really happened. I decided that my first priority was to decide what was good. So I evaluated Jack Hickman’s actions on the assumption that he was a prophet who was called by God to form a community with a special purpose, and that the family of Yeshua had continued for more than 2000 years and transmitted teachings to Hickman. That is, I granted his factual claims for the sake of my decision. My investigations were for analogies and lessons from other times and places, not Hickman’s or the Community’s specific story.

I left the Community in 1983 after much prayer and Bible reading. I concluded that God will not ever tell a true prophet to violate the Torah such as to lead persons who obey that prophet into sin and destruction. More sharply (see my previous posting about Shabbatai Tzvi), I did not believe in redemption through sin, nor moral nihilism. (“By rejecting conscience, some have made a shipwreck of their faith.” 1 Tim. 1:19) Having reached these conclusions, I did not have to decide whether Hickman belonged to a lineage stretching back to Jesus, or any other matters of truth. I did not have to decide that everyone who remained in the Community was rejecting conscience; I am sure this is not any more true than it was for followers of Shabbatai Tzvi.

Reflecting after the passage of years, I think the ancestry was made up, but the history of the congregation was true (though I cannot explain it). Hickman allegedly said at a service (again I was not present, but heard second-hand) that he would lie to us.

The process of resolving to leave the Community clarified to me that deciding what was good would provide a foundation for living, but that seeking to learn the facts about what happened would not.

If, hypothetically, I had the opportunity to learn the truth and to have confidence in the veracity of what I learned, would I be interested? Yeah, sure.

Now I know in part…. (1 Cor. 13:12)

Postscript.
During the Passover of 1983, after leaving the Community, I traveled from NYC to stay with friends in Patchogue. A friend, another fellow in his twenties, who was perplexed about events in the Community, was staying with a different family, and I walked over to that house and visited them all. When it came time to leave, he offered to walk me back to where I was staying. As we walked, I explained how I had decided to leave the Community, what you read above. I did not want that conversation to end. But of course it had to.

Posted by: incarnate soul ()
Date: May 17, 2008 11:10PM

Doc I am not sure what you are saying "I think the ancestry was made up, but the history of the congregation was true". Wasn't the history of the congregation it's ancestry?

InnerCircle when you say "you would think they would have not held onto the damage that was done to all of us when we were teenagers.." are you saying that holding on translates to staying involved?

Date: May 18, 2008 10:03AM

Incarnate Soul: I meant that I believed the history of St. John's and Christ Lutheran churches in the 1960s as told by an older woman who had been part of it.

Posted by: Sallie ()
Date: May 18, 2008 08:25PM

Moral nihilism?
I like that term. Mennodoc used it. I looked it up. Yeh, a community of moral nihilists.

Posted by: incarnate soul ()
Date: May 18, 2008 10:14PM

Than the truth became distorted and the spirit became tinted? The spirit of God moved through the two churches and the mind and dreams of Jack Hickman distorted it?

Current Page: 13 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.