Current Page: 4 of 117
Jack Hickman Cult Shoresh Yashi
Posted by: miranda ()
Date: April 06, 2004 08:42AM

Hi Pam,

With regard to your question "is there reason for concern", if it was my father in law, I would be concerned. However I don't think there is anything you can do about it. He is a grown man making his own choices. I don't know what goes on in Maine, I would like to know myself. I can tell you that one of their main purposes is to plan for the end times. They have basically been planning for the end times for over 20 years.
I know about 4 years ago the cult extended an invitation to some former members to rejoin. Also, several marriages have taken place within the group over the past year. There is a big celebration every May in either Longmont or Jamestown, Colorado.
I hope this information was helpful to you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Steve ()
Date: April 07, 2004 07:30AM

Hi Everyone,

I was once a member of the "Community" and still have family and friends in the group. I left in 1980 (or there about).

I just heard today that Jack Hickman passed away after a long illness. He moved to Maine a while ago and died there.

Hey Rich Green, I remember you from the Coffee House days.

Steve

Posted by: miranda ()
Date: April 07, 2004 09:52PM

Hi Steve,

You are right, Jack Hickman did just die, but he actually moved to Colorado and died there. He was buried in Maine.

Date: November 21, 2004 08:45AM

Are the prophecies of Hickman coming true?

War in Iraq will lead to what?

Posted by: prodicalson ()
Date: January 05, 2005 03:10AM

I was a member of "the community". I left when the sh-t hit the fan way back when. I lost most of my close friends because of my decision. The entire experience was a life-altering event that still has a subtle affect on my life today.
My current outlook on religion/spirituality is directly affected by what I read, heard or saw almost 30 years ago.
I was one of those people on the "inside" of things. I was "adopted" into "the family" and was a member of one of the "household/tribes". I went on trips to Maine many times.
I was also contacted several years ago and "invited back in", but refused. Apparently, after refusing, they felt that I was a threat to their existence so I have not seen or heard from them since that time. I suppose I am permanently “cut off” now.
I do not judge them for their beliefs. I just do not agree with them.
I believe its part of the psychology of the group; it is a self-fulfilling persecution. They see the world as being against them rather than them against the world. A built in intolerance toward others is perceived as others being intolerant of them. There is a certain elite spiritual romanticism attached to this type of belief system. It is what makes them see themselves as being special, apart from the others, chosen.

Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: March 16, 2006 01:37AM

Steve
Hi Everyone,

I was once a member of the "Community" and still have family and friends in the group. I left in 1980 (or there about).

I just heard today that Jack Hickman passed away after a long illness. He moved to Maine a while ago and died there.

Hey Rich Green, I remember you from the Coffee House days.

Steve
You left about 2 years after I split. If Hickman hadn't done this cult thing, I probably wouldn't have left him. As a Lutheran minister, I think he was OK. I'm surprised he managed to maintain a following because Shea Hecht's book, "Confessions of a Jewish Cultbuster" says that the congregation confronted him with the fact that he was discovered to not be of Jewish descent and also with the fact that he was a homosexual. He used to call the act, "passing the seed".

Posted by: PGOCRJL ()
Date: June 02, 2006 07:46AM

I posted a message under "Jack Hickman". Want to know what happened to all that money, propery etc. I am really just curious. Now 25 years after I left Shoresh Yishai, I find it amazing how so many people were takin' by Hickman. AND how many stayed despite the truth being exposed.

Posted by: DavidS ()
Date: June 14, 2006 03:03AM

PGOCRJL
. Now 25 years after I left Shoresh Yishai, I find it amazing how so many people were takin' by Hickman. AND how many stayed despite the truth being exposed.

I learned a bit about Jack Hickman in Religious Ed this year, mostly about how many of the members of the cult remained loyal to Hickman even after the truth about him had been exposed.

I'd also really like any more information on what Hickman taught and how he did it. If any former members can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 01, 2006 07:33PM

Greetings, all --

I was involved in Hickman's group from the mid-70's through about '83. I vaguely recognize Rich Green's name; we probably met but only on an occasion or two. We definitely knew the same people, though. I didn't hang out in Dix Hills but knew folks from the area.

It's taken me years to recover from the effects of losing all of my friends when I left the group. I saw one person on one occasion, just after I left Long Island. After that I was persona non grata. I still have problems committing to a congregation (of any kind) because I have flashbacks when something reminds me of those years. This is after many years of therapy, study, etc., etc. Once you lose your identity to a group, and you get it back, you never want to risk giving yourself over again. I know a couple of other ex-members, and they have similar problems.

For those looking for info: I did a Google search and discovered that the NY Times has archived articles about "the community" on Long Island. You have to pay $3.95 to get each article; I haven't done so yet, so I can't tell you how extensive the articles are, but it might be worth your while.

For other ex-members: I would be interested in corresponding for the purposes of mutual support. I think it could be helpful in the healing process. Please post a reply to this message if you want to chat.

Posted by: geraldtsmith ()
Date: July 20, 2006 03:33AM

Hi all,
I was also quite involved with Shoresh Yishai (was adopted into the community but, was not part of the inner circle or any tribe. I even went survial camping one winter) I think it was only called Ben Yishai when I was involved. I was very close with the Feyermans (my 2nd family you could say) and Jeanne was like my sister. I was over for almost every Shabat - that is one item I miss very much - celebrating Shabat (BTW Jeanne converted to Judaism and her daughter was just bat mitzvahed. Also Jim Olsen converted to Orthodox Judaism as did, I believe, Michael Johnson - if these names mean anything.) After I left (around 80ish) it took me awhile to get my head back together (I pretty much went to drink and drugs - more drink than drugs) and I find myself to this day regretting many choices made (or lack of choices made) due to my involvement. These years were years I should have been planning out my future - I must say I screwed up in this area because I was looking at everything through eyes set on the community and its future not my own. In a way I look at those years as lost years (I got involved somewhere around ’74 to ‘81ish.) I too miss the friends I had made and the comradery and sense of family (although I was a bit of a misfit and a bit on the shy side.) I also miss the celebrations. There always had seemed to be an element of purpose - a belonging - there was a greater cause we all seemed to be working for or toward. Life was exciting and full. But the lose of friends and "family" was the hardest part for me when I left - with loss of purpose a close second (it has left a void in some ways.) I can remember being very depressed - so much of my life and my life decisions were all tied up in the group. At that time of my life the decisions were totally life changing. However, I could not go on in the group in light of Hickman’s dishonesty (to say the least.) I would like to touch base with some of those who have also left and find out what they are up to and where they are at. It would mean a great deal to me. BTW some of those I knew (and can think of right now) were: Vickie and Liz Alberti, the Feyermans, Jeff Berman, Ronny Milstein, the Gormleys, Lin Vanson, the Christensens, the DeLalios, the Paganos, Debbie Haugland (sp?), the Heigthaus ... to name a few.
Gerry Smith formally from Patchogue

Current Page: 4 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.