Current Page: 2 of 117
Jack Hickman Cult Shoresh Yashi
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: October 12, 2003 10:33PM

miranda
I can tell you that jack hickman is not dead, although he is very sickly. I am not a part of the cult, but I know about it. It is actually gaining in strength and numbers.
I thought it disbanded it '84. Can you dig up more info on it and post it up?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: miranda ()
Date: October 13, 2003 12:53AM

Many people thought that it broke up, but it did not. Their headquarters are Colorado and Maine. Jack Hickman and Gary Coons are located in Colorado. What else do you want to know specifically?

Date: October 13, 2003 07:29PM

miranda
Many people thought that it broke up, but it did not. Their headquarters are Colorado and Maine. Jack Hickman and Gary Coons are located in Colorado. What else do you want to know specifically?

Maine, huh. My ex wife is from Maine. So Coons is still with him?
I knew Gary and his sister.
There were abouit 1K members in the old days. How many now? And what happened to the original members. Did Hickman start over and rebuild a new cult?

Date: October 14, 2003 12:25AM

I don't actually know how many members there are at this point. I only found out about the cult a few months ago. I know people who are a part of it very well and always knew something was odd about them, but never imagined this. I also know the group is growing in numbers because many of the "20 somethings" are marrying each other within the group.
I don't believe that Hickman started over, because many of the people I know were in it from the beginning. I heard that they opened the group to former members some time ago and some actually came back! They gather every May in Colorado for a celebration. Hickman is very sickly and Gary Coons is always by his side. I would assume that he is next in line. It's very disturbing. I'm glad you got out. What made you leave?

Date: October 14, 2003 04:01AM

miranda
I don't actually know how many members there are at this point. I only found out about the cult a few months ago. I know people who are a part of it very well and always knew something was odd about them, but never imagined this. I also know the group is growing in numbers because many of the "20 somethings" are marrying each other within the group.
I don't believe that Hickman started over, because many of the people I know were in it from the beginning. I heard that they opened the group to former members some time ago and some actually came back! They gather every May in Colorado for a celebration. Hickman is very sickly and Gary Coons is always by his side. I would assume that he is next in line. It's very disturbing. I'm glad you got out. What made you leave?
Several reasons: First one of Hickman's speeches was stolen from the Lubavitcher Rebbe. Seocnd, he was threatening to kill people and had at least one person beaten up for some reason.
I was riding my bicycle 5.5 miles each way to work and killing myself over this and the house I was in broke up.
I decided to go to Israel at the invite of Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach. While I generally like Shlomo and his followers things were hard, and the conditions were not great either.
I think Rick doesn't understand this but I still hold Shlomo in high regard despite his flaws and the problems he had with women. But Hickman was simply a fraud. As a Lutheran minister I think he was authentic, but once he became Rabbi/Dr./Abba Hickman that was it. He could barely read or speak Hebrew and a number of us commented on that.

Date: October 14, 2003 05:55AM

You are right, Hickman is absolutely a fraud. The younger generation of the group doesn't know about his controversial past. I saw in one of your posts, you mentioned the Alberti family. I know Steve Alberti. He left the group many years ago and is doing well.

Date: October 15, 2003 11:05PM

miranda
I don't actually know how many members there are at this point. I only found out about the cult a few months ago.
(RMG's reply: Have they gotten any newspaper publicity yet? Hickman used to like to get media attention.)

I know people who are a part of it very well and always knew something was odd about them, but never imagined this. I also know the group is growing in numbers because many of the "20 somethings" are marrying each other within the group.
(RMG's reply: That seems like his old modus operandi. Go after young people, get them married, have lots of kids and go to his schools.)

I don't believe that Hickman started over, because many of the people I know were in it from the beginning.
(The beginning was around '74. I was at the very first dinner that kicked off "the family". Where Hickman created the cult from within side of St. John's Lutheran Church. John Hove his assistant minister has converted to orthodox Judaism since then. He might be a source of knowledge too.)

I heard that they opened the group to former members some time ago and some actually came back! They gather every May in Colorado for a celebration.
(RMG's reply: I'd like to know more about this. It seems that some people never gave up the whole thing. Hickman made up this story about he was descended from Marannos and was actually the descendant from Peter who the New Testament says
"upon this rock, I'll build my church". Phone calls were made to his mother years ago and she said he was a "very sick man" and that he made all this up and his family wasn't Jewish at all.
Hickman is very sickly and Gary Coons is always by his side. I would assume that he is next in line. It's very disturbing. I'm glad you got out. What made you leave?

Posted by: Lynn ()
Date: October 16, 2003 07:45AM

Hi Miranda and Richard,
Who is running the group in Maine since Coons is at Hickman's side. Do you know what part of Maine they are in?
I would love to hear more about the beliefs and teachings. Do they have a web site?
Thank you so much for letting us know, I hope someone can do something about this group that seems like it will never go away. Do they have a group going in Colorado or is Hickman just living there?
Lynn

Date: October 17, 2003 06:04AM

I don't know who is running the group in Maine or where in Maine they are located. If they do have a website I don't know the address. I have done searches before, but found nothing. Yes, they do have a group in Colorado and Hickman is running it. As far as their beliefs and teachings, I think Richard could better speak to that.

Date: October 17, 2003 06:10AM

As far as I know there hasn't been any publicity. It seems like he's keeping a low profile this time around. I have to find out what John Hove is up to and whether or not he is still involved. I'll let you know. As far as original members go, if you want to mention names, I'll let you know whether or not they are still involved (to the best of my knowledge). The celebration that takes place every May is in a park in Colorado. Every member from the group attends. They have commitment ceremonies and just this May there were two weddings in one day!
I know all about Hickmans sketchy past and his claims. There was a in depth article on the cult many years ago in the Newsday magazine and it totally exposed him and the group. What year did you get out?

Current Page: 2 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.