Current Page: 1 of 117
Jack Hickman
Date: January 31, 2009 03:06PM

Moerator Note: If you wish to post about Jack Hickman add your comments to the end of this thead.

New threads may be deleted.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2009 08:24PM by rrmoderator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Jack Hickman Cult Shoresh Yashi
Posted by: Lynn ()
Date: August 19, 2003 12:29AM

My stepsons and their mother were involved with a Jack Hickman who called himself "Abba". They were abused but we were unable to have him prosecuted although we brought charges. This was many years ago and I suppose he is dead. Any information any one has on him would be appreciated. I am haunted by what he did to these boys and how it tore the family apart.

Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: August 24, 2003 07:26AM

Lynn
My stepsons and their mother were involved with a Jack Hickman who called himself "Abba". They were abused but we were unable to have him prosecuted although we brought charges. This was many years ago and I suppose he is dead. Any information any one has on him would be appreciated. I am haunted by what he did to these boys and how it tore the family apart.
The Jack Hickman cult is the one that I got involved with when I was in my teens. I spent my formative years in that cult and it poisoned my mind for years.. It also ruined my reputation in the Jewish community including the Carlebach movement.
When I got involved with Hickman, Orthodox Judaism had not yet spread to my area of Long Island. I would more than be happy to correspond with you over this in depth.
When my father found out about my involvement he go Chabad Lubavitch involved. My father later remarked that it was "cult vx. cult".
I left Hickman in '78 to go to Israel at the invite of Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach. But the results can be seen in my yahoo group at:
groups.yahoo.com/group/exharedimsite
Religion can be a very dangerous thing. Look at how many have died in the name of monotheism.

Date: August 24, 2003 07:27AM

Lynn

Shea Hecht of Lubavitch wrote a book called "Confessions of a Jewish Cultbuster" and chapter 2 was about Hickman's group. It centered around my involvement with it. The cult died about the time the book was copyrighted. It's currently out of print.

Date: August 24, 2003 10:13PM

First of all, Hickman may not be dead. He'd be old but check out the Social Security death index. Secondly, he was pretty small potatoes. Third, he was threatening to kill people who'd leave.
He once made a speech that "even the dearest brother [if he leaves] will have to be killed."
After I left the cult, I went to israel. Hickman's people made frequent trips there and I saw a few of them in Jerusalem. They of course were upset that I left.
Also, after I came back to the States, I was tailed by the church. One church member followed me to a synagogue I went to and another kept running into me in the malls in LI.
They knew I liked a certain girl in the cult. She wanted nothing to do with me before I went to Israel but after I came back the sent her after me. I pretty much blew her off.
I had several girl friends when I was in the church. And it was one reason I stuck it out. But eventually, everything got crazy and I had to leave.
I moved out of my parent's home the day before my 18th birthday and lived with a household of young men from the church. It was the dysfunction in my family and in myself that drove me to drastic measures. Very few Jews converted to Christianity when I did, but Hickman had quite a few Hebrew Xians.

Posted by: Lynn ()
Date: August 25, 2003 11:11PM

Hickman to our family was not small potatoes. I guess being
Christian to begin we would look at things from a different view. I can appreciate your view as joining with Hickman was making you Christian or a Xian, but you must see that the Christian people who joined were also changed in a way that made them not really Christian anymore. No Christian or Jew or anyone should be made to live under the threat of being murdered. That taints the way they treat their families, friends, and rest of the world. He also abused people physically and in other ways.
Looking back onto what happened to people back then I often wondered why people were staying there. I knew he had armed guards and thugs, but I did not really know he was actually threatening members with murder. I did know he was threatening physical harm to those who tried to take members out of the group or showed up unwanted at "services". I did know he recommended divorce to those members whose spouses made any noise, and that he started making uninvited trips to peoples homes at hours that no clergy or Rabbi would show up. That he wanted all children of members in his day school in Massapequa and out of public school. Did you spend more time in Massapequa or East Meadow?

Date: August 26, 2003 09:06PM

Lynn
Hickman to our family was not small potatoes.
(RMG's reply: He didn't have a million followers is what I meant.The scope of his ministry was small as far as I knew about
2K people tops. Of course, if he was dealing with Profeta he had more clout than I previously knew.)
I guess being Christian to begin we would look at things from a different view. I can appreciate your view as joining with Hickman was making you Christian or a Xian, but you must see that the Christian people who joined were also changed in a way that made them not really Christian anymore.
(RMG's reply: Hickman's theory was that he was practicing Xiantiy the old, old way, the way Jesus and his original Jewish disciples did it. Christianity evolved over the years and changed from what it was originally and it lost whatever Jewish flavor it originally had. Hickman tried to restore that)

No Christian or Jew or anyone should be made to live under the threat of being murdered.
(RMG's reply: True but let's face it all the world's religions do this.
What about the Inquisition, the Crusades, et al?)

That taints the way they treat their families, friends, and rest of the world. He also abused people physically and in other ways.
Looking back onto what happened to people back then I often wondered why people were staying there.
(RMG's reply: Many times people stay because all their friends are in the cult. And they build families and a whole support system there. Of course it went sour.)

I knew he had armed guards and thugs, but I did not really know he was actually threatening members with murder. I did know he was threatening physical harm to those who tried to take members out of the group or showed up unwanted at "services". I did know he recommended divorce to those members whose spouses made any noise, and that he started making uninvited trips to peoples homes at hours that no clergy or Rabbi would show up. That he wanted all children of members in his day school in Massapequa and out of public school. Did you spend more time in Massapequa or East Meadow?
(I spent more time in Dix Hills. I lived there in a house run by cult members. And I went to Bible studies at the Albertis. Eventually, the Sabbath services centered in East Meadow. In the last 1.5 years, I was working full time and what time I spent in the church was probably in East Meadow. But it was a long time ago. Also, the church ran a coffee house in Massapequa on Thursdays. I spent time there too.)

Posted by: miranda ()
Date: October 12, 2003 08:06AM

I can tell you for a fact that Jack Hickman is not dead, although he is sickly. I was not a part of the cult, but I know all about it. It is actually going very strong and is growing. Their beliefs are very unsettling. I'm glad to hear your family got out.

Date: October 12, 2003 08:13AM

Hi Lyn,

I tried to post you a reply, but I don't know if it worked. This is my first time in this website. I know for a fact that Jack Hickman is not dead, although he is sickly. I was not a part of the cult, but I know all about it. I actually wish I didn't know. It seems that the cult is actually growing and gaining in numbers. I'm glad your family got out.

Date: October 12, 2003 08:17AM

I can tell you that jack hickman is not dead, although he is very sickly. I am not a part of the cult, but I know about it. It is actually gaining in strength and numbers.

Current Page: 1 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.