Re: Jack Hickman
Posted by: Pninaruth ()
Date: August 24, 2011 06:25AM

damaged13
Oh geez, an earthquake an the east coast...this is really gonna set them off.

HA!!! I just thinking the same thing!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sallie ()
Date: August 24, 2011 06:30AM

corboy
To be a victim is to be on the receiving end of another person's mis-used agency.

Making powerholders accountable for their mis-use of power is assigning agency where it belongs. That isnt being a victim, thats putting responsiblity in its proper place.

Which is exactly what abusers are afraid of, hence their favorite tactic of trying to deny there's such a thing as victim.

Not in the eys of the law, or journalism.

And your own hearts and nerve ends know the truth.
======================================================================================================================================================

Making powerholders accountable for their mis-use of power?

That's brilliant.

We need to make powerholders accountable for their mis-use of power.

Right.

That's exactly right.

Well said.

Posted by: Sallie ()
Date: August 25, 2011 02:32AM

[jackhickmancult.blogspot.com]

Pnina,
This is just hilarious. The legos are so funny. The ''are we bad'' video is hilarious. But the directions....we were howling. Omg....I'm still laughing.
Funniest stuff ever.
Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 02:35AM by Sallie.

Posted by: resu ()
Date: August 26, 2011 10:12PM

It seems the leaders of this group are falling back on an old and unimaginative tactic in response to the creation of these new blogs. Simply put, they're telling everyone in the group that the bloggers are lying. Lame.

I wonder what their new tactic will be, now that actual documents are being posted to Pnina's blog? Are they going to try and claim a letter from Goon, who's not so subtile message is "our prayers are going to stave off doomsday," is a fabrication? Or will they just tell people to not look at it, like they did with the Newsday article?

Maybe try and say it's a myth that one of their 'shelters' houses (3) 1000 gallon propane tanks, enough to beat 2 or 3 of even the harshest Maine winters, stores of diesel fuel, solar battery banks and other energy sources needed for hiding long term, off the grid. But I think the people are smarter than that, they've seen these items, they know they exist. But what context are they seeing them in now? Before, they were just a way to keep a house warm, but now, it's pretty plain to see, they're a stock pile, a hoarding of sorts, specifically designed (in their minds) to ride out some farcical doomsday that most likely won't even happen. How much money is wasted on a goose chase such as this? The organization they're tithing to, the Universal Meditation Institute, is worth more than $400grand. Maybe someday, as more documents are released, we'll have an idea as to where that money goes. I doubt it's going to paint a pretty picture.

I think I'm going to be following clan leader's reactions to these posts in the coming weeks. It should be interesting.

Posted by: exfollower ()
Date: August 26, 2011 10:57PM

why Maine?

Guyana, is so much cheaper! and easier to heat... (oh, i guess gary wouldn't like it there.)

Date: August 27, 2011 02:12AM

exfollower
why Maine?

Guyana, is so much cheaper! and easier to heat... (oh, i guess gary wouldn't like it there.)

I laughed at this, but maybe I shouldn't have.

I remember finding out about the doomsday motivation behind the cult and being extremely concerned for my then ex girlfriend's safety. I voiced that concern, and how as an outsider it felt a lot like Jonestown looked in the early days. She was appalled that I could even make such a comparison between them and Jonestown and that it was nothing like that. Here's hoping she's right and I'm wrong.

Posted by: disillusioned1 ()
Date: August 27, 2011 09:31AM

In an unprecedented move, the arguments are now: who cares? What's so bad about that? and you can't do anything about it!

But wait, it's not unprecedented, it's exactly what they did in 1982. Right down to one poster using the name "Waaa" as in we're complaining. I can remember quite a few parents that would use that tactic to shut their children up when they were bringing up questions of personal injury/hurt. There's nothing like degrading and disparaging the victim!

I will never understand how someone can take the information from the Foibles of Abba article, and hear the abuses from people that have been posted here, and ignore it and say: so what? Or, they dissociate the event from being a function of the group they continue to be a part of, and say oh I'm so sorry that happened to YOU... but you need to get over it and stop being angry and move on with your life. Because obviously, there is something wrong with emotions. Obviously there is something wrong with someone who wants to expose these events and potentially keep other people from being hurt, or at least keep them aware that it may be happening. But this is wrong. We should be silent, and stalwart and bare our wounds quietly away so that we don't hurt anyone's feelings?

It's ALMOST not even worth arguing. Except that it is worth arguing, over and over and over again. Morality is not a thin gray line. People who act like morality is a thin gray line, usually have none.

Posted by: exfollower ()
Date: August 27, 2011 11:06AM

recently, after hearing the excuses...

ie: 1981-82 - "well, that was a 'winnowing out' of those, not truly committed."

I can't speak for all that left then... BUT, me, my wife, our close friends... we all, were 'the committed people'. the ones who kept kosher, niddah, etc.

so... who were the ones who stayed??!!

Date: August 27, 2011 09:36PM

Some people here have expressed an interest in 'following the money' of this group. Pnina just posted some great documents that show more than $50,000 spent in one year on just ONE of their doomsday shelters, including a 'shed' that cost $37,000 to build! And the long term storage of 200 buckets of food.

[jackhickmancult.blogspot.com]

Posted by: justagirljh ()
Date: August 27, 2011 10:41PM

I don't care what anyone says. There are people in this group who were sexually abused. I SAW it. Maybe it wasn't known by someone in charge. Maybe it was, but I don't believe it would have made a bit of difference. Did anyone ever ask her what really happened? No. I found out recently, no. No one ever did. They believe what the family member said happened. Why didn't they ask her? I'm positive it's because they were afraid of the answer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.