Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Unskilled New Age\Holistic Healers
Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: March 29, 2008 10:29PM

Mindconcern, I would go one step further and caution even people who go to an unskilled/newbie chiropractor. There are numerous documented cases of "Victims of Chiropractic" (Prometheous (sp?) books), people who have been terribly injured or even who have had STROKES set off by skeletal manipulation.

All unskilled/holistic healers should be avoided like the plague.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: March 30, 2008 06:40AM

mindconcern
Any massage therapist who says that you will receive any other benefit besides feeling nice or loosening up a muscle is pulling your leg.

Any chiropractor who says they can do anything besides make your joints and tendons make a popping sound and MAYBE providing temporary relief from something that needs surgery or professional evaluation is pulling your leg.

There's a reason that naturopaths aren't allowed to diagnose or treat with real medicine: it's because their entire philosophy is to create a magic sugar pill to convince you, and sometimes their self, that something really is happening.

The only skill any new age or holistic healer has is to make a hubbub.

It depends upon the naturopath and what kind of training. I don't want to start a debate on naturopathy, but there are some who base their practice in science and not in New Age philosophy. There are about a dozen states that license NDs who have graduated from pre-med school and ND grad school. Unfortunately, when four-year naturopathic schools like Bastyr have LGATs like LE on campus, there will be graduates who throw out any science they are taught and turn toward LE "technology." It is unfortunate that legitimate massage therapists, NDs, chiropractors, herbalists, etc. have to suffer because of the minority that distort science, physiology and psychology. Not only do clients have to be very careful screening their practitioners, but practitioners have to carefully screen their clients, people who are looking for transformation as opposed to relief from an ailment.

Mainstream psychologists are turning toward this nonsense in droves, as discussed elsewhere on RR.

Posted by: Fishbulb ()
Date: March 31, 2008 08:54AM

Thanks very much for these guidelines, Hope. I have seen this kind of thing a lot and it has made me leery of many "natural" practitioners. ( I do know some good ones who aren't into the brainwashing thing, but this thread isn't about the ones I *do* like).

I also had a woman try very very hard to sell me Nikken products, those "wellness" products that cure everything *snort*. She went on to list the NP's who have bought her stuff. Red flag!

JJ, what if you got in with a sports therapist or massage in a sports capacity? Most athletes don't concern themselves with "The Secret" or Landmark or any such crap.

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: April 07, 2008 11:11AM

[www.bishopwomack.com]

I was just about to send in my resume to this guy as his office is looking for a medical office manager. Then I caught the email address of bishopwomack.com. Wow!

Funny how all these types never have any real information about themselves in the "About the Doctor" sections of their webpages. This guy actually uses his Bio section to see products. No mention of credentials, training, etc.

I love the pics with celebs and political people like Al Sharpton, as if associating with them gives the "doctor" credibility.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.