Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Spiritual rape worse that Physical rape
Posted by: pauld ()
Date: January 18, 2011 01:13AM

In the 70s I was part of several evangelical groups at a time when in New Zealand there was a rise in religious excitement and more people were becoming christians.
As a result of this I cared deeply for and was praying for about 30 of my friends and was surprised when my own elders effectively disfellowshipped me for having contact with people who were not baptized as we believe they should be.
When I left to go to university with in a year or so two groups where I had a close relationship with the leader collapsed because the leader had been having sex with the girls, with one case going to court for a man so popular and well known that a child wrote a letter to 'Uncle Sid' put it in the mail system and it was delivered. (Nelson New Zealand)
In the next phase of my life I met and interacted with Pentecostal leaders who were wantabe mega church leaders, and suffered from spiritual abuse from some of them who saw the need to control me, so that I wouldn't in any way destroy their ambition.
Is there a link between the lack of respect for a precious fellow human being, exploiting them in a physical way to get sexual gratification- born out of lust; and the same lack of respect which allows leaders to abuse those who trust them and expect protection from them in accordance with sound religion. ?
When the bible says "Witchcraft is a fruit of the flesh" can we turn that around and say that manipulation will produce as a fruit sins of the flesh which can be judged in a legal system as being unacceptable human behavior ?
And finally did I remember reading somewhere Jesus saying something about "fruit" when deciding things ?
Three questions there but I would appreciate your wisdom on this-paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiritual rape worse that Physical rape
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 18, 2011 01:26AM

pauld:

Potentially unsafe groups seem to share the same characteristics and behavior.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Ten warning signs of a potentially unsafe group/leader.

1. Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

2. No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

3. No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.

4. Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

5. There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

6. Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

7. There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.

8. Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

9. The group/leader is always right.

10. The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

Posted by: ostracizedone ()
Date: February 21, 2011 08:31AM

pauld
In the 70s I was part of several evangelical groups at a time when in New Zealand there was a rise in religious excitement and more people were becoming christians.
As a result of this I cared deeply for and was praying for about 30 of my friends and was surprised when my own elders effectively disfellowshipped me for having contact with people who were not baptized as we believe they should be.
When I left to go to university with in a year or so two groups where I had a close relationship with the leader collapsed because the leader had been having sex with the girls, with one case going to court for a man so popular and well known that a child wrote a letter to 'Uncle Sid' put it in the mail system and it was delivered. (Nelson New Zealand)
In the next phase of my life I met and interacted with Pentecostal leaders who were wantabe mega church leaders, and suffered from spiritual abuse from some of them who saw the need to control me, so that I wouldn't in any way destroy their ambition.
Is there a link between the lack of respect for a precious fellow human being, exploiting them in a physical way to get sexual gratification- born out of lust; and the same lack of respect which allows leaders to abuse those who trust them and expect protection from them in accordance with sound religion. ?
When the bible says "Witchcraft is a fruit of the flesh" can we turn that around and say that manipulation will produce as a fruit sins of the flesh which can be judged in a legal system as being unacceptable human behavior ?
And finally did I remember reading somewhere Jesus saying something about "fruit" when deciding things ?
Three questions there but I would appreciate your wisdom on this-paul

pauld:

Potentially unsafe groups seem to share the same characteristics and behavior.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Ten warning signs of a potentially unsafe group/leader.

1. Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

2. No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

3. No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.

4. Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

5. There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

6. Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

7. There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.

8. Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

9. The group/leader is always right.

10. The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

Posted by: raymondadam ()
Date: August 12, 2011 10:47PM

Matthew 7:15-17
“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.

I think that's the scripture you were thinking of. Look out for wolves in sheep's clothing, there are so many in the world who will eat you alive and lead you to destruction.

Posted by: romera ()
Date: November 12, 2011 01:18AM

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.

This was said so long ago and it's still true. Funny how little have we learned.

Date: April 01, 2012 01:05AM

Physical rape attacks the spirit, it is what makes rape, rape.

Nonetheless, I understand the intent of the phrase. The mind can tell the body, "you need to heal." But when the mind is injured, the body can't return the favor.

Posted by: stars ()
Date: June 13, 2012 07:54AM

it's true, it's horrible....it makes me feel sick when I think of what was done to me, and in the name of what? god? people? a nation?

Posted by: krysty ()
Date: June 15, 2012 06:25PM

Really its true but horrible.

Posted by: burned_by_a_cult ()
Date: August 09, 2012 02:40AM

You may find this to get some more insight and understand that many "cult leaders" are psychopaths:

The article can be found:

[cultresearch.org]

I hope it helps you out. I found it pretty eye opening and it has added to the understanding of my experiences. Feel free to pass on the link. Hopefully it can help at least one person out there that experienced the destructive nature of cults and get them on a path of recovery and a future healthy life without the past keeping hold.

Posted by: stars ()
Date: October 05, 2012 01:58AM

you are right. I was physically raped as well as spiritually raped and I'm going to tell you I've recovered from the physical rape a long time ago.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.