DARVO - a form of attack combined with gaslighting
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 07, 2018 10:02PM

The DARVO tactic is used by perpetrators when called out, they accuse their victims of victimizing THEM when their victims speak out.

DARVO

Deny
Attack
Reverse Roles of Victim and Offender

Labelling criticism of a power imbalance as an attack is part of the DARVO mechanism, described by psychologist Jennifer Freyd. In the DARVO maneuver, a criticism or accusation is denied, the whistleblower attacked, and the roles of victim and aggressor are reversed.

Ex-Ashtanga Student Calls Out Problematic Adjustment Post, Gets Called “Bully”

[matthewremski.com]

What is DARVO?
Jennifer J. Freyd, PhD

Fellow 2018-19, Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences, Stanford Univerity

and Professor of Psychology, University of Oregon

Definition of DARVO

DARVO refers to a reaction perpetrators of wrong doing, particularly sexual offenders, may display in response to being held accountable for their behavior.

DARVO stands for "Deny, Attack, and Reverse Victim and Offender."

The perpetrator or offender may:

Deny the behavior

Attack the individual doing the confronting

Reverse the roles of Victim and Offender such that the perpetrator assumes the victim role and turns the true victim -- or the whistle blower -- into an alleged offender.

This occurs, for instance, when an actually guilty perpetrator assumes the role of "falsely accused" and attacks the accuser's credibility and blames the accuser of being the perpetrator of a false accusation.

[dynamic.uoregon.edu]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DARVO - a form of attack combined with gaslighting
Posted by: facet ()
Date: August 03, 2019 02:00AM

Hah!

This has happened to me recently with a very oddly behaved pensioner.

They caused a lot of trouble, and this DARVO explanation also carries gaslighting connotations. - edit, which I have seen in the title and forgot as I was typing.

Why do people have to be like this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2019 02:03AM by facet.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.