Would anyone consider LDS abusive?
Posted by: Nancy Lopez ()
Date: July 26, 2002 01:03PM

Hello,

I'm new to this and need information about the LDS. My daughter is involved with them and has been controlled and abused. Can anyone else relate to this?:(

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nativeflower ()
Date: February 14, 2005 05:17PM

I have a friend that was a member of lds...she said she quit because they had negitive oppressive views of women.

I dont know much about them myself

JoAnne

Posted by: wildswan ()
Date: November 29, 2006 04:03AM

My roommate is a member of the LDS church. She converted in college.

I haven't noticed any abuse at all. Her LDS friends are all very healthy, happy people. She has friends outside of the church as well.

The one thing I dislike is that the women MUST wear dresses or skirts to church. What's wrong with dress pants? Grrrr

Posted by: sametanner ()
Date: November 30, 2006 10:03AM

I suppose it depends on what you consider abusive, but I would say "yes", especially where women are concerned. I am a former member of the Mormon church and I can tell you at best, women are considered the subordinate partners of their husbands. Their role in the church is expected to be that of a homemaker and a mother to as many children as she/they can manage to produce.

A woman can advise her husband, but what he says goes. If the husband is verbally or physically abusive, the wife will be counseled to work harder to please her husband and make whatever changes in herself are necessary to stop causing the husband's abuse. That's right! If your husband hits you, it's your fault. If you cannot or don't want children, you will be considered useless. Careerism for women is seriously discouraged, unless you can balance your career with keeping house, raising kids, and pleasing your husband - but even then you'll be considered to be strange.

In short, unless women like being treated as subhuman, cow - like, baby - making chattel, the Mormon (LDS) church is abusive.

Re: Would anyone consider LDS abusive?
Posted by: maurices5000 ()
Date: December 27, 2007 11:00PM

I don't know a lot about Mormons at all. But I find it hard to believe that anyone in this day and age unless they are outside the media's influence would see the woman as being at fault because a man hit her. Many Mormons are educated. It just doesn't stand to reason. Now Mormons are percular but this description is a bit hard to believe. Also, i think location is also important. What one group of ignorant stupid people would do, other areas things like this might not happen. Because i'm quite surprised still at how ignorant people can be.

Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: December 28, 2007 03:38AM

I'm assuming LDS stands for Latter Day Saints.

Any belief system derived from the understanding that women are the sole cause of original sin is corrupt. Why, in this day and age, do we still denigrate people?

We may be an intelligent species, but strange how it doesn't take much to tickle the worst aspects of ourselves...

Posted by: cultsurvivor22 ()
Date: June 04, 2010 12:03PM

I have heard that some of the offshoots of the LDS control the movements and information of the people in their groups. Some of these groups have been investigated for polygamy and abuse.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.