Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Steve Hassan?
Posted by: greggyjack ()
Date: June 22, 2012 05:41AM

Anyone familar with his work? He has a new book pertaining to Cults and abusive relationships and I was wondering if it was worth a go. Does anyone listen to him or read his books? Let me know what you think, please! Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steve Hassan?
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: June 22, 2012 06:42AM

I would not recommend him.

Do you mean "Releasing the Bonds"?

Or is there another book?

Disclaimer regarding Steve Hassan

The Ross Institute of New Jersey/May 2013

See [www.culteducation.com]

The inclusion of news articles within the Ross Institute of New Jersey (RI) archives, which mention and/or quote Steven Hassan, in no way suggests that RI recommends Mr. Hassan or recognizes him in any way.

News articles that mention Steve Hassan have been archived for historical purposes only due to the information they contain about controversial groups, movements and/or leaders.

RI does not recommend Steven Hassan.

RI has received serious complaints about Steve Hassan concerning his fees. Mr. Hassan does not publicly disclose his fee schedule, but according to complaints Steve Hassan has charged fees varying from $250.00 per hour or $2,500.00 per day to $500.00 per hour or $5,000.00 per day. This does not include Mr. Hassan's expenses, which according to complaints can be quite substantial.

Steven Hassan has charged families tens of thousands of dollars and provided questionable results. One recent complaint cited total fees of almost $50,000.00. But this very expensive intervention effort ended in failure.

Dr. Cathleen Mann, who holds a doctorate in psychology and has been a licensed counselor in the state of Colorado since 1994 points out, "Nowhere does Hassan provide a base rate and/or any type or accepted statistical method defining his results..."

Steve Hassan has at times suggested to potential clients that they purchase a preliminary report based upon what he calls his "BITE" model. These "BITE reports" can potentially cost thousands of dollars.

See [corp.sec.state.ma.us]

Steve Hassan runs a for-profit corporation called "Freedom of Mind." Mr. Hassan is listed as the corporate agent for that business as well as its president and treasurer.

RI does not recommend "Freedom of Mind" as a resource.

RI also does not list or recommend Steve Hassan's books.

To better understand why Mr. Hassan's books are not recommended by RI read this detailed review of his most recently self-published book titled "Freedom of Mind."

See [www.cultnews.com]

Steve Hassan's cult intervention methodology has historically raised concerns since its inception. The book "Recovery from Cults" (W.W. Norton & Co. pp. 174-175) edited by Dr. Michael Langone states the following:

"Calling his approach 'strategic intervention [sic] therapy,' Hassan (1988) stresses that, although he too tries to communicate a body of information to cultists and to help them think independently, he also does formal counseling. As with many humanistic counseling approaches, Hassan’s runs the risk of imposing clarity, however subtly, on the framework’s foundational ambiguity and thereby manipulating the client."

RI has also learned that Mr. Hassan has had dual-relationships with his counseling clients. That is, clients seeing Mr. Hassan for counseling may also do professional cult intervention work with him.

Professionals in the field of cultic studies have also expressed concerns regarding Steven Hassan's use of hypnosis and Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP).

Based upon complaints and the concerns expressed about Mr. Hassan RI does not recommend Steve Hassan for counseling, intervention work or any other form of professional consultation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2013 09:36PM by rrmoderator.

Date: June 22, 2012 08:34PM

The book "Freedom of Mind" is essentially a rehash of "Releasing the Bonds".

Much better books available.

See the following books:

Cults in Our Midst -- Classic by psychologist Margaret Singer
[www.amazon.com]

Bounded Choice -- newer book by sociologist Janja Lalich
[www.amazon.com]

Take Back Your Life -- about abusive/controlling relationships
[www.amazon.com]

Escape -- by attorney Paul Morantz who successfully litigated against cults
[www.amazon.com]

Any of these books would be a better pick then books by Steve Hassan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2012 05:51AM by rrmoderator.

Date: June 23, 2012 02:00AM

I was actually referring to "Freedom of the Mind". It's his newest, I guess. Why would you not recommend him?

I am familiar with Margaret Singer - thought I haven't read her book.

Many of the authors you gave me are very dated - is that typical? I would figure since Hassan is still around he has some up-to-date views of the matter. Is this not the case?

Thanks!

Date: June 23, 2012 05:51AM

greggyjack:

I would not recommend Steve Hassan's books because they are not that well written and/or researched and other books are better.

"Very dated"?

All of the authors previously suggested are alive with the exception of Margaret Singer, who was probably the most recognized cult expert of the 20th Century.

Hassan's book "Combatting Cult Mind Control" is very dated. It was written in 1988.

Margaret Singer's book "Cults in Our Midst" was written in 1996. And Singer was a Ph.D. psychologist and professor of psychology at UC Berkeley.

Hassan's book "Releasing the Bonds" was published in 2000 and doesn't offer much more than his previous book, other than length. It is largely an ego-driven self-promotional book that offers very little substance. Essentially it's a spin on the previous book repackaged for marketing.

"Bounded Choice" by Janja Lalich was published in 2004 and it is much better.

Lalich is a Ph.D. in sociology and professor of sociology at UC Chico.

Hassan's so-called "new" book according to his Web site is a "revised edition of Hassan’s groundbreaking [sic] Releasing the Bonds (2000)." He is selling essentially the same book yet again. And frankly, the last one didn't do that well, largely because of the previously mentioned reasons.

See [freedomofmind.com]

Please understand that much of what Hassan calls his "BITE" model was borrowed from the writings of Flo Conway and Jim Siegelman who wrote the books "Snapping' (1978) and "Holy Terror" (1982). They first discussed emotional and information control in cults and various relgious groups.

Hassan's attempts to "reinvent the wheel" and/or copy it without footnotes or attribution is not something "new" and it doesn't make him "up to date".

It's better to read the original material and supporting research.

"Snapping" was updated in 1995.

See [www.amazon.com]

You might also want to pick up an old "Holy Terror" -- still better than Hassan's derivitive writings.

See [www.amazon.com]

"Escape", just released by Paul Morantz, is more of a personal memoir. But it is written by the lawyer that brought down Synanon and litigated successfully against Scientology and the Unification Church. His perspective is quite meaningful and informative. For example, he discusses how Synanon group training is the basis for so many controversial programs today.

See [www.amazon.com]

For a full view of the Ross Institute reading list see [www.culteducation.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2012 05:55AM by rrmoderator.

Date: June 23, 2012 06:29AM

Reading and research regarding abusive controlling relationships.

Date: June 25, 2012 04:40AM

Gotcha. Thanks for the detailed reply. So I would assume that Sanger is your favorite author on the subject? Does anyone know of any good authors other than those listed above?

Like I said, I'm halfway through "Freedom of the Mind" and I am very much enjoying it and think it's full of information. But I'm a bit of a noobie on the subject so I'm glad to hear other opinions. That's why I'm here ! Any suggestions would be great!

Date: June 25, 2012 09:33PM

greggyjack:

"Any suggestions would be great"?

You don't seem to be taking in any suggestions, but rather promoting a single book.

Are you here to promote Steve Hassan?

Did you read the previous posts and go through the links?

It doesn't appear that you did based upon your response.

I did not say that Singer was my single favorite author. She was the most recognized cult expert of the 20th Century. Much of what Steve Hassan repeats in his books was first written about by Singer, Conway and Siegelman.

Please understand that this subsection within the message board is about "Abusive Controlling relationships" and not here to promote Steve Hassan and/or his book, which is generally about cults and his cult intervention work.

Hassan isn't someone that is specifically known as an authority about abusive controlling relationships and that has not been the primary focus of his books.

The book "Take Back Your Life" by Lalich and Tobias is largely focused specifically on the issue of abusive/controlling relationships.

See [www.amazon.com]

There are other books avaialble on this specific subject.

There is also much information available for free online through the link above concerning abusive/controlling relationships.

Steve Hassan's books are essentially a vehicle for promoting his fee based consultation work.

Hassan has charged clients as much as $5,000 per day or $500.00 per hour. the last time he posted his rates publicly they were $2,500.00 per day. People have mortgaged their homes to pay Hassan's fees.

I have received repeated complaints about Steve Hassan from families and concerned individuals and would not recommend him to anyone.

There are more qualified people (e.g. Ph.D. psychologists and other mental health professionals) that can provide counseling services at more affrordable rates.

Here is a list of some professionals with specific working experience helping people and families affected by cults. They are also often familiar with and/or experienced in helping people affected by abusive/controlling relationships.

If you are really here for "suggestions" these are credible sources I would suggest to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 10:02PM by rrmoderator.

Date: June 27, 2012 12:13AM

Thanks for the information. I really just wanted to know what more seasoned people thought of Steve Hassan. Thanks for your advice and I'll definitely check out "Take Back Your Life".

Thanks again.

Date: September 19, 2012 01:42AM

greggyjack:

"what more seasoned people thought of Steve Hassan"?

I have been working in the area of cults for 30 years and have testified as an expert in court within 10 states, including US Federal Court.

As a "seasoned" experienced professional in the field of cults I would not recommend Steve Hassan and/or his books.

Psychologist and expert Cathleen Mann recently reviewed the book "Freedom of Mind" by Steve Hassan.

See [www.cultnews.com]

Not exactly a recommendation.

Again, there are much better books readily available.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.