Narcissists in Positions of Authority
Posted by: samvaknin ()
Date: April 04, 2004 01:20AM

Dear members,

I am Sam Vaknin, author of "Malignant Self Love - Narcissism Revisited" , a work of reference about the Narcissistic Personality Disorder:

[www.narcissistic-abuse.com]

I have been studying Narcissistic Personality Disorder for several years now, mostly in the following contexts:

I. Corporate settings and in Politics

II. Abusive and Dysfunctional relationships

Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) is a serious, often undiagnosed condition, frequently related to abuse in childhood.

In many cases the disorder compels the sufferer to become the abuser in turn.

Once almost unheard of, pathological narcissism is now considered to be at the heart of phenomena as diverse as corporate malfeasance, workplace bullying, the emergence of murderous dictatorships, domestic violence, and serial killings.

Under my signature, I have listed some of my links which deal with narcissists who abuse their positions of authority to brainwash others.

Hope you find them useful.

Take care there.

Sam

Narcissism in authority figures:

[malignantselflove.tripod.com]

The act of brainwashing

[samvak.tripod.com]

Shared Psychosis (result of brainwashing)

[samvak.tripod.com]

[samvak.tripod.com]

[samvak.tripod.com]

[samvak.tripod.com]

[samvak.tripod.com]

[samvak.tripod.com]

[samvak.tripod.com]

[samvak.tripod.com]

[samvak.tripod.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: April 04, 2004 05:49AM

Hi there, i used to subscribe to your email list, and found it educational and fascinating! But i unsubscribed, as i felt there were too many emails a day, and i couldn't read them all, but was loath to delete them, as i wanted to read them! (just some customer feedback for you).
I will resubscribe again, and see if i can keep up!!

Malignant narcissism is truly at the root of so much of this, in my opinion.

Coz

Date: April 04, 2004 05:04PM

Hi,

I also think that pathological narcissism - as opposed to the healthy kind - is at the root of cult and cult-like abusive phenomena.

Our very cultue is narcissistic - see these:

Many leaders are cult-like and narcissistic:

It is difficult to tell narcissists apart:

As a result, we often facilitate such antisocial behaviors:

Many narcissists are antisocial (psychopaths):

[open-site.org]

Take care.

Sam

Posted by: Reverend ()
Date: April 06, 2004 01:25PM

In one of your journal entries (telling them apart) you mention people often feel "ill at ease" in the presence of a narcissist. What personality types buy into a narcissist?

Date: April 06, 2004 07:33PM

Hi,

Some codependents find narcissists fascinating:

Other narcissists sometimes buy into narcissism:

Narcissism is part and parcel of our culture. Many narcissists are much admired:

[samvak.tripod.com]

[samvak.tripod.com]

[samvak.tripod.com]

Take care.

Sam

Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: April 06, 2004 11:37PM

If you look at specific fields like Show-Biz, those could almost be classified as the "Narcissist Olympics".
And the amazing thing is, millions of people find the Narcissists in the entertainment business endlessly fascinating.
A MASSIVE multimultibillion dollar industry is built entirely around Narcissists!
There seems to be something about people who are totally self-absorbed that DRAWS other people to them.

A harmless but obvious example is Craig Kilborn. [www.cbs.com]
If you ever watch him, you will see how EVERY reference comes back to himself, and he used to even introduce himself! Etc Etc.
Now, he is somewhat self-mocking in his Hollywood Narcissism, but the reality is that there is something about people who are totally self-obsessed which ATTRACTS other people.

I work in show-biz myself, and the most self-centered people, those who literally every THOUGHT seems to be about "me me me", are the most popular people, and attract the most attention at parties, etc. AND ARE THE MOST RIVETING ON-CAMERA.

Its all rather fascinating!

I tend to jump to the idea that there are biological roots to this. The Alpha Male and Alpha female in the animal kingdoms, (including human primates) are not known for their modesty, meekness, and lovingkindess towards others!

Coz

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 07, 2004 12:02AM

If anyone wants to understand narcissism as it affects cults, they should also read 'Prophetic Charisma' by Len Oakes Ph.D.

Dr Oakes is a mental health professional, interviewed 20 charismatic leaders and used a wide range of theoretical models and research data, and writes with clinical precision and deep humanity.

Mr. Sam Vaknin (by his own admission)

[www.healthyplace.com]

has been affiliated with two organizations (President of the Israel chapter of the Professors World Peace Academy (PWPA) and (briefly) Israel representative of the Washington Times) that are linked to the Unification Church and Reverend Moon.

It is always a good idea supplement website material by reading a variety of literature by professionals who are accountable to their colleagues and to the standards of their disciplines.

The professional's submission to discipline, acceptance of accountabilty to peers, the process of submitting one's theories and experimental findings to the process of peer review by colleagues and pursuit of continuing education are all safeguards against narcissism.

There is a general consensus among the mental health profession concerning the cause, diagnosis and treatment of choice for narcissism, but there can be diversity of opinions within that professional consensus. Among professionals and educated lay persons, no one perspective is sufficient.

Books

Prophetic Charisma by Len Oakes. Written by a social science researcher and clinical psychologist after he had been in a cult for 11 years and had studied 20 other charismatic leaders. Invaluable, with an excellent bibliography that goes up to 1996.

The Search for the Real Self: Unmasking the Personality Disorders of Our Age by James Masterson MD Written by a psychiatrist who specializes in treatment of personality disorders, this book is geared to both professionals and educated laypersons, and spells out the vital distinctions between Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, and focuses upon intimacy issues and psychotherapy. (He notes that it is a good sign when someone is both happy and anxious at the start of a relationship, because their anxiety means they are offering their vulnerable, true selves to the encounter. If a person is 'all blissed out' then thats the sign to Masterson that they're hiding their true selves from the relationship and only dealing in fantasy!

Prisoners of Childhood and the Drama of the Gifted Child, both by Alice Miller
Published by Basic Books, available through the major on-line book companies. The author reaches deep into the heart of the narcissitic wound with these two emotionally charged, but readable books. These will be a very difficult books for most people with NPD (and their families to read). Miller writes with a compassion for healing that touches the soul of those who are trying to understand their wounds.

Essential Papers on Narcissism, Essays written by various authors.
Published by State University of New York Press, 1986. This is a rather academic look at the history of narcissism. It is intended for scholars and clincical psychologists, though people suffering from NPD may be find it helpful to understand the history of the disorder and the gradual changes, and acceptance in addressing this disorder. We share this book because it can be helpful to develop an understanding of what it is we are trying to heal in ourselves.

The Narcissistic Family, by Stephanie Donald-Pressman and Robert Pressman
The wounds which can lead to Narcissitic Personality disorder (NPD) often run very deep within a family. Often dating back generations. Within the family structure it is common to see different members react differently to narcissitic injuries. This book offers a glimpse of how different people react to stimuli. One of the harder parts of healing these wounds is that other family members are suffering as well. This book is not about blame, but once again helping us understand what it is we are facing.

Shame: The Exposed Self, by Michael Lewis
Many belief that shame is the single greatest contributor to Narcissitic Personality Disorder. It is incredibly difficult to heal because it touches the soul of a person suffering from NPD. Shame is an ugly emotion and one that our natural defences work teach us to avoid. If an infant is rejected by or separated from our primary care giver they can assume their is something about themselves that is not worthy of being loved. Our culture is built very heavily around shame and this might be the hardest thing to face in the healing process.

Slings and Arrows, By Dr. David Levin
This is another book which helps identify the causes of naricissitic wounds and attempts to address ways that we might be able to work toward healing in therapy. Once again this book is intended for a more professional audience, however many will find it very readable and helpful in developing their understanding of their true selves.

Date: April 07, 2004 12:34AM

I absolutely concur with corboy.

My Web site states clearly:

Warning and Disclaimer

The contents of this website are not meant to substitute for professional help and counseling. The readers are discouraged from using it for diagnostic or therapeutic ends. The diagnosis and treatment of the Narcissistic Personality Disorder can only be done by professional specifically trained and qualified to do so.

The author is NOT A MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL.

The author is certified in Psychological Counseling Techniques.

But ...

While Oaks may have interviewed 20 people -

My Web site is based on correspondence since 1996 with hundreds of people suffering from the Narcissistic Personality Disorder (narcissists) And with thousands of their family members, friends, therapists, and colleagues.

My study lists (discussion groups) alone have 2300 members (700 of which are therapists, psychologists, and psychiatrists):

[groups.yahoo.com]

One last thing:

I have been diagnosed with and treated for the Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD).

In other words, with all due respect to professionals and their work, there is a lot to be learned from my work and my books (the "Malignant Self Love - Narcissism Revisited" series).

Take care.

Sam

Posted by: Hisservant ()
Date: December 07, 2004 12:19AM

Hi Sam
This is my first post on this message board and did not actually know where I needed to start posting,I have recently read your book and found that after I did it has left me in a state of panic and anxiety,I was overwhelmed by your honesty and eloquence and enjoyed the way in which you exposed the very core of what I feared in the man I married 6 years ago.
Every detail you expose explains every inch of my relationship and find that since reading it I am filled with a state of panic.
I do not want to go into much detail just now but I was brought up in a JW home and have lost almost everything since my spiritual eyes were opened up to this cult.I lost my young husband 10 years ago,I am now married to a man that displays every facet of what you describe in your book ,I do not have the words to express what I am feeling as I find a anger welling up within me that I have never known before.I am filled with a intense fear and loss

I really don't know what it is that I am asking,permission to leave him? I am petrified to even thinking of the ramifications.....
Thank you for bringing this out to the light.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.