Employment gaps on resume due to abusive relationship
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: June 16, 2011 12:11AM

Does anyone have any resources for people who survive and get out of abusive relationships? An acquaintance of mine is a woman who was beaten down, physically, sexually, emotionally and spiritually for many years. She was formerly a high-level IT professional for NASA, but now has a five-year gap in her resume due to abuse. She is still struggling with self-confidence (she has to attend court-mandated joint "parenting therapy" even though she is now divorced and the court-appointed therapist knows little about abuse), and has lost work experience and keeping up to date with skills. I'm sure this is an issue for people coming out of cults, surviving violent crime, etc. Any resources, perhaps nonprofits that deal with this issue, would be appreciated and helpful to anyone coming here with the same issues as well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Employment gaps on resume due to abusive relationship
Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: June 19, 2011 02:20AM

There are commercial agencies that assist people with resumes/CV.

I would do a fast Google Search for free help in your area. I would especially search the websites of your friend's state and local governments for help. Governments certainly want your friend employed and paying more taxes.

Your friend could also try the local Chamber of Commerce and see if they can point her in the right direction. The Chamber would have a lot of free assistance (I imagine).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2011 02:24AM by Sparky.

Re: Employment gaps on resume due to abusive relationship
Posted by: romera ()
Date: November 12, 2011 01:20AM

Don't waste your time with Chamber of Commerce. There are several NGO's that deal with victims of abuse and can help your friend. Depends on your location, but google can hel you out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.