Current Page: 2 of 3
sharon gans "the work"
Posted by: berok ()
Date: October 18, 2006 01:25PM

jpenney
Hey all,

So I'd love to kick him around a little. Also would like to get any info on him I can so I can get a good look at him in the daylight.

THIS IS HIM:
[masshightech.bizjournals.com]

I knew his business 'partner' Geoff Chasin as well.

Options: ReplyQuote
sharon gans "the work"
Posted by: richard condon ()
Date: February 10, 2007 12:42AM

berok
jpenney
Hey all,

So I'd love to kick him around a little. Also would like to get any info on him I can so I can get a good look at him in the daylight.

THIS IS HIM:
[masshightech.bizjournals.com]

I knew his business 'partner' Geoff Chasin as well.

Hi, I was a member of the NY group for a number of years, and met Robert Klein on several occasions. As I struggle to sew together all the loose threads after leaving the group, it is helpful to see the once esteemed "teachers" revealed in their far more mundane actual lives. Thank you for posting the link
~Richard

sharon gans "the work"
Posted by: richard condon ()
Date: February 10, 2007 12:43AM

betsy
I was involved with Sharon Gans group many years ago. I was asked to leave shortly after asking a very good question that was met with a strong verbally abusive vehemence. While there I was driven into a bad depression and when I left I was sent to work with a particular therapist. I went because in my heart I was connected to the idea of work on myself. My therapist, god rest his soul, was at best comprimised.
It was only a year and a half ago that I began to heal. I would love to meet with anyone over the phone or vial email people who are free from this particular group. a few years ago I ran into a woman from the "work" on the train. I wanted to talk but suddenly felt a surge of fear when she approached. If you read this please contact me. I can be emailed at ewcrowell@yahoo.com.
I wish all those free much love and happiness.
Hi Betsy, Were you in the NYC Tues. Thurs. group anytime between 1988 and 1997? I was there those years.

~Richard

sharon gans "the work"
Posted by: betsy ()
Date: February 12, 2007 09:47AM

Hello Richard,

No, I was in the Monday and Wednesday class from 1990 - 1991.

Betsy

sharon gans "the work"
Posted by: Junebug ()
Date: March 31, 2007 06:13AM

I was a member of the "The Work" (AKA “Odyssey Study Group”) in New York City for over 5 years in one of the 'younger' classes. I left the group after finding the Rick Ross website as well as the Freedom of Mind website postings about the group.

I want to first thank everyone who posted this information because it was instrumental in my leaving and eased the pain of it significantly. Upon finding the information, I immediately saw the truth of it. While I learned many wonderful and useful things during my 5 years in the group, I ultimately suffered from extreme anxiety over the secrecy and the time commitment but was unable to do anything about it. I assumed I need to ‘grow my being’ to handle all the expectations. After finding the information on the internet, I knew right away that I could never go back. The illusions that I had been manipulated into believing had crumbled.

At first, I was horribly disappointed. It was a similar feeling to finding out there is no Santa Clause as a child, but obviously, far more extreme. I had fallen in love with the idea of being in an esoteric school linked to schools throughout history. Our class was also a very tight knit group with a lot of strong emotional connections for each other. When I realized the truth of it all: the manipulation, the control, the blind faith, the lies, it was like having a broken heart. After finding it, I never went back.

Reading the information, the forums and talking to a few ex-members helped me immensely. I was able to clearly see the group for what it was: not a school, but a cult. It took a while to admit that to myself. I was able to admit the suspicions I had kept repressed for so long. I had always disliked Sharon Gans intensely (she only visited our class twice per year or so), but simply ignored the feelings in order to justify staying. I always felt that not sleeping was not healthy, and that I had to draw the line on the requirements of my personal time due to my marriage. I saw how the majority of members in the group were single and more able to devote enormous amounts of time. I saw how teachers quite often referred students to expensive art classes, therapists and doctors who are also in the work.

It has been a year since I left and I feel that I am free. Free to read what I want. Free to relax. Free to live my life the way I want to without GUILT! And, without the constant anxiety of trying to do everything, remember all the rules, and keep secret what was consuming huge amounts of my time. My marriage, which has always been good, is now even more wonderful and continues to improve. I am doing more with my friends and family. The most significant change I’ve noticed is that I am doing things I WANT to do rather than things I THINK I SHOULD BE DOING according to the group. My life has grown tremendously and I am happy.

I hope that this posting helps other people trapped in that prison to break free.

sharon gans "the work"
Posted by: Junebug ()
Date: April 27, 2007 09:46PM

I am not allowed to send private messages until I have 10 approved posts.

I was in the Monday/Thursday ‘younger’ class from 2001-2006. Our class was held in Chelsea in a loft which is an office for Taylor Hodson, a temporary staffing agency run by several members of OSG. There are several posts about Taylor Hodson on this forum. I never saw the space on lower broadway that is refered to in many of the posts.

I recently found this website which I have not seen before: [esotericfreedom.com] which contains further information about Sharon Gans in case any of you have not seen it.

Another thing I found of interest is that there are many study groups out there claiming to be fourth way schools. OSG always makes a point of saying that they are linked to esoteric schools throughout history, and that they are the only legitimate school. I am horrified when I think back to all the people that made huge life decisions based on staying in this ‘school’ in New York. People gave up their spouse, fiancé, jobs, and more to stay in OSG. The whole time there were groups studying these ideas all over the world. I have no interest in pursing these ideas further however, if you want to find these groups, just do an online search for fourth way schools.

The work-younger class in Chelsea
Posted by: sela ()
Date: June 24, 2008 12:43AM

Junebug-

I was also in the OSG group in the younger class on Monday/Thursday from March 2004 to July 2006. I attended the class at the Chelsea location at Taylor Hudson. I saw your post and think that we must have been in class at the same time and would love to share experiences of the class. I too was very disappointed when I found the information on Sharon Gans and the about the school. Having the knowledge, did help me separate from School more easily as when you leave the teachers make you feel as if you are lost forever.

I would like to find other students that attended that "the Work" during that time frame and have since left to share our experiences.

Junebug, if you would like to correspond, please post an email on this site. i am not able to send private mesages either.

Re: The work-younger class in Chelsea
Posted by: cochineal ()
Date: July 25, 2008 09:08AM

Sela and Junebug-
You can be in touch with each other and with others through the e-mail on the esotericfreedom.com website. Just write to esotericfreedom@safe-mail.net
You can still be anonymous if you wish or not.

Re: sharon gans "the work"
Posted by: Bronte G ()
Date: July 30, 2008 09:23AM

Dear Junebug
Thankyou for defining what it is that I wanted, and got, and can develop, not because of association with your exgroup, but what I want in life, no matter where I go next or where I have ever been

THIS is your comment
"I feel that I am free. Free to read what I want. Free to relax. Free to live my life the way I want to without GUILT! And, without the constant anxiety of trying to do everything, remember all the rules, and keep secret what was consuming huge amounts of my time. My marriage, which has always been good, is now even more wonderful and continues to improve. I am doing more with my friends and family. The most significant change I’ve noticed is that I am doing things I WANT to do rather than things I THINK I SHOULD BE DOING according to the group. My life has grown tremendously and I am happy."

Oh that terrible word SHOULD.

So many thing they say we should do, but are not that simple to do. OK, the marriage item in your comment is not that relevant to me, but the rest is!
I am glad the Gurdjieff people in my home town decided that I was a lost cause once I found the thing that I wanted, when I was young. And now I am old it doesn't matter any more. Nothing does, really. The world will still spin without me. Maybe it will have something good I can do for it, or the people in it, in what years I may have yet.
But I am not going to ever try to be someone else's fool in some strange spiritual "school" again.

Re: sharon gans "the work"
Posted by: cochineal ()
Date: June 07, 2012 03:59AM

I am currently looking for an attorney to help in a cult related matter concerning Sharon Gans.
Is anybody aware of any attorneys that would help in a lawsuit involving a cult?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.