Desperate for Help- Landmark Forum
Posted by: concernedNYer ()
Date: November 13, 2008 12:39PM

Hi. I have always looked to culteducation.com for info on cults and orgs. A friend a few years ago got sucked into Landmark Forum in Manhattan and only realized his error when they tried to insist he to to a meeting or class instead of observing a holiday. He ended up in therapy to undo their craziness. Now, another friend is very involved with them. I knew he was taking classes somewhere for a year and a half. He told me that they were on self discovery and left it at that. I didn't think much of it until last week when we had a long conversation about the classes, then he started saying he was behaving like a five year old child and everything wrong in his life was his fault, even as a child. I asked if the classes were at the Pennsylvania Hotel and if he has spent a lot of money. I found out, it was the same program my other friend was involved in. I sent my friend the link to culteducation.com with the page on personal stories from Landmark Forums. My friend lost his job because of performance(spending all his time on Landmark), spends his own money to travel and volunteer for their three day courses, and pays for classes that he thinks he needs. I know they verbaly abuse him too. So, if anyone can give me advice on what to do, has info on someone who does intervention, anything, please let me know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Desperate for Help- Landmark Forum
Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: November 16, 2008 06:06AM

concernedNYer,

Here is a link (from the banner at the top of this page).

[www.culteducation.com]

There is information from Mr. Ross on Help from cults, interventions, etc. Please see if this information is helpful. I have never been involved in EST or Landmark so I am only an outsider looking in at the horror stories told by 'escapees'.

Perhaps someone who has gone through the abuse can give you some direct personal insight.

Goodluck on your quest to save your friend and I am truly sorry for both you and he/she.

Posted by: Michael Jones ()
Date: December 06, 2008 01:37PM

concernedNYer,

The first thing you must realize is that when someone gets entrapped in a cult, the person needs professional help. There are many resources available out there (Wellspring is one of them but it is expensive $10,000 for 2 weeks of treatment); there is a residential center in Boston ( I forgot the name) but it is a long term treatment (more than one year) and will more likely require that one consider moving to Boston. There are many more. There is a growing support group in Dallas created by Duncan (the author of I can't hear God anymore). I am guessing they have similar center in many locations in the US.

The most difficult and the most important part is to help the person realize he/she needs help, he/she is sick(do not use the word sick when talking to the person) . If you can't find a way to make the person realize he/she has a serious problem you could be fighting a very difficult (if not an impossible) battle.

Steven Hassan book “Releasing the Bonds” gives great advice on how to help someone entrapped into a cult.

Good luck.

M.J.

Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: December 17, 2008 02:11AM

Monday, December 15, 2008
A few students from Rutgers U in New Jersey, were riding on one of the busses several years ago and they were in awe of the Landmark Forum. College campuses seem to be rife with problems revolving around cults and I think that schools should put our guides about being aware of bad organizations trying to recruit gullible young children.
Parents should be informed as to all of this too. Sometimes, their kids can disappear and be so entrenched in a cult like I was. It was heartbreaking.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.