Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What books have helped you the most in cult recovery? ...
Posted by: cultaware ()
Date: March 26, 2009 06:59AM

solea13

I was involed with a cult in Dallas Texas for about seven years. I never really joined but just put off leaving for a long time if you know what I mean. The group is a Bible based, high demand gnostic type group. Two books helped me greatly to pry myself away from this cult. The first was Hassan's Combatting Cult Mind Control. Reading it allowed me to focus on the Leader's abusive behavior toward members rather than on his command of Bible knowledge. The second book that helped me understand this group is I Can't Hear God Anymore Life in a Dallas Cult by Wendy J. Duncan. It is a riveting page turner that reads like a novel. It is Wendy's first person account of her journey into and out of this abusive group. If you have had any invovlement in a high demand group I strongly recommend it. You won't be sorry

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: frogla ()
Date: March 26, 2009 10:29PM

My husband is involved with a religious online cult so I can understand. I am friends with Wendy & Doug Duncan and attend a monthly support group that they both host which is awesome!

All of these books are great and another that I really loved is called "Toxic Faith" by Atterburn & Felton and of course Wendy's book is on the top of my list. :) Another good book is called Recovery From Cults by Langone and The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse by Johnson Van Vonderen. Hope that this helps!

Posted by: ExLand ()
Date: April 24, 2009 03:59PM

I found the book, "Take back your life: Recovering from cults and abusive relationships" by Madeleine Tobias and Janja Lalich, to be very helpful.

Posted by: figlady ()
Date: May 17, 2009 04:09AM

I also just read Take Back Your Life and it was helpful.

I wanted to highly recommend the following book for its brilliant insight. I really appreciated the author's point of view. It's called

The Wrong Way Home: Uncovering the Patterns of Cult Behavior in American Society by Arthur Deikman.

Posted by: wendyjduncan ()
Date: November 13, 2009 11:11PM

There are a lot of good books out there. I think reading is an important part of the healing process. My recommendations are Captive Hearts, Captive Minds, Recovery from Cults, Toxic Faith, Churches That Abuse, and of course, my book, I Can't Hear God Anymore: Life in a Dallas Cult.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.