Current Page: 9 of 9
What has been helpful in your Recovery?
Posted by: sanebiker ()
Date: September 17, 2007 02:15PM

ON2 LF

I ride a Harley - not just 24/7. I'd be willing to try if you could show me how. Gotta do something else sometimes. As for the Helmet, CA makes it mandatory and I wear a full face. I am aware that I am insulting and attacking people. Weak, mentally and emotionally challenged people who need a swift kick in their posterior, not a pity party to "enable" their weakness. Consider it "shock therapy". Besides, why is the truth such an affront to you? Do you have a financial interest in perpetuating this pity party? Are you planning on transferring their dependency on other people thinking for them - to yourself? Get them to trade one crutch for another? Makes me wonder. You’re as bad as the rest of them. If you can't attract a following with "sugar" or "intimidation" sucker them with pity. If they think they have a sympathetic ear they have just one more reason to stay weak - they’re getting the attention and pity they so obviously crave - people like you fuel their addiction to their "look at poor little me" syndrome.

All of the above causes me to wonder if you are a practicing lekkie? You would have to fully understand how or why people who post here have come to do so in order to speak truth to anyone. To answer your question, I am not affronted by truth at all, what does affront me is your idea of 'shock therapy' and how you have chosen to apply it. Your approach with those you've labelled weak reeks of lekkie philosophy and practice.

"....you're an asshole, your life doesn't work, your a loser...!"
Unless I'm mistaken, those who disagree with the tactics are also accused of being affronted by the [i:0516a6fa5f]truth[/i:0516a6fa5f].
Sounds like werner to me.

FYI - I was in the Moonies, took the scientology audit, and went to the UPCI Bible School in Florissant Missouri (Gateway College of Evangelism). From my personal experience and observations, most of them were brainless robots without a life hoping to get social validation. Me on the other hand got kicked from all three places for telling them to their faces they were nothing more than BS in front of some rather lange assemblies.

Brainwashing doesn't work unless you're weak minded and have a pre-disposition for being self delusional. Again, just my opinion based on personal experience.

How many cults or questionable quasi religious organizations have you personally faced down?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ON2 LF ()
Date: September 18, 2007 03:56PM

FYI - I was in the Moonies, took the scientology audit, and went to the UPCI Bible School in Florissant Missouri (Gateway College of Evangelism). From my personal experience and observations, most of them were brainless robots without a life hoping to get social validation. Me on the other hand got kicked from all three places for telling them to their faces they were nothing more than BS in front of some rather lange assemblies.

You may have got kicked out of the above organizations but you've apparently walked away with some of their philosophies and communication approaches. Your, "I've got the answer or question to everything and anything" attitude reeks of the leaders of the organizations you've named.
You feel right and justified in your comments and judgements of people on this message board, in fact you believe yourself to be an authority on just exactly how people think. There's your sign...

Posted by: privateperson ()
Date: September 20, 2007 07:52AM

For me, trying to assimilate with the human race, and earning a living totally consumed many years of my life. Just recently I have the luxury of enough free time to even reflect on this 27 year struggle to overcome severe brainwashing, and complete depletion of any self worth I might have had. The "reality shows" got nothing on me, for sure. I am truly blessed to be alive and marginally sane.

Re: What has been helpful in your Recovery?
Posted by: floater ()
Date: May 14, 2008 08:38AM

I'm new to the forums. Maybe I'll post my story later on, but I liked the topic in this thread and wanted to add to it.

I wasn't involved in a cult but instead was on a six month personal development/Law of Attraction/Eckhart Tolle high that inevitably led me to crash and burn. I'm now just recovering from the awful depression that resulted and have come away with an intense dislike and suspicion of the motivation of the personal development-human potential field.

Here are all the things that are helping me:

- this forum (thank you! So much good stuff here!)
- the Skeptic's Dictionary and the related website (highly valuable resource)
- QuackWatch
- classic literature and poetry
- exercise
- interacting with people who have no interest in anything like the Secret or Eckhart Tolle!

All of these resources are helping to me think critically and thoroughly again.

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: May 15, 2008 06:16AM

Hi "floater".

Would you consider posting some of what happened in the Eckhart Tolle thread?
I actually just wrote the other day how it seems logical that those who fall into the Tolle Trap might fall into depression after a while, and "crash and burn".

Eckhart Tolle is certainly a type of New Age culty practice.

Please consider posting some info in the Eckhart Tolle thread if you want to, it would be interesting to see it from the inside too.

The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle
[forum.culteducation.com]

Posted by: floater ()
Date: May 15, 2008 08:19AM

Anticult,

Thanks for posting the thread where I can vent about Tolle. I'm in the process of writing out my experience so I can reflect on it and learn from it. When and if I feel ready to share, I will post. This reflection process is crucial to recovery but also a little painful!

Posted by: retting ()
Date: September 01, 2008 11:39AM

The Option Institute and Fellowship in Sheffield Mass. was the cult that I was involved with.

When other people write about their experiences of OI and sound just like me, it helps me to know that I'm not the crazy one. The people still there are the ones with the problem.

I had two good therapists who specialized in cults and also an exit counselor. I was a mess when I left but having professionals who knew about cults, gave me the support and knowledge that I needed. I read everything I could about cults and contacted the authors who then gave me the names of people/therapists to help me in my recovery.

"Freedom of Mind" is another helpful website.

Posted by: Bronte G ()
Date: September 02, 2008 01:23PM

Sanebiker stated:
"Weak, mentally and emotionally challenged people who need a swift kick in their posterior, not a pity party to enable their weakness. Consider it shock therapy"

I suppose that you'd do that for the invalid whose body did not develop properly, or the accident victim, maybe yourself if you came off your bike. You'd get someone to kick you well again, would you?
Hurt people need healing not kicking.
Get a heart, INsanebiker!
It's love that makes the world go round, not money, and petrol for your bike and our cars.
Go do some voluntary work with some really needy people, and grow up fast!

Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.