Current Page: 2 of 3
Life after a cult
Posted by: abigail1977 ()
Date: February 24, 2007 12:17PM

If you guyz want to join me, i am a member of a ex-christian cult support forum. Just give me a PM and i'll give u guyz the URL. It helps with my healing---all Christ-centered abuse issues and recover.

AB

Options: ReplyQuote
Life after a cult
Posted by: onlyme ()
Date: February 26, 2007 06:12AM

i was in a cult and now ,although i still believe there is a god, beyond that i don't know. i won't go to any church as i don't trust any1 who is religious and i won't read a bible or anything as it can be interpreted in so many ways. i don't know if you're a rarity firefly but it's not my experience to still hold the same beliefs

Life after a cult
Posted by: firefly ()
Date: March 04, 2007 01:31AM

I don't hold the same beliefs as I had when i was in there onlyme- if i did then i'd still be decieved.
When i left i felt sort of like i didn't know what to believe anymore, i didnt no which bits were true an what wasnt. So i think i basicly said that everythin they taught was a lie and i had to relearn what it all was.
Fortunately whilst i was in there because i was rebellin i had made up me own mind on what i sorta believed and what i didnt, because i was kicking back at them. So i think that helped a bit.

Life after a cult
Posted by: onlyme ()
Date: March 04, 2007 04:47AM

sounds like you already had in your mind that things weren't right. that must have helped a lot in coming out of it all

Life after a cult
Posted by: counselor47 ()
Date: March 07, 2007 05:07AM

firefly
I was just wondering if other people still go on with religion after leaving a cult, or am i a rarity?

Some do and some don't. My wife and I have, but in a very different form than what we experienced in the cult. Many of the other former members of the group to which we belonged have forsworn religion altogether.

My wife actually wrote a book about our experiences entitled, [i:e8b48a2283]I Can't Hear God Anymore: Life in a Dallas Cult[/i:e8b48a2283]. There is information about the group, Trinity Foundation, elsewhere on Rick Ross, including a discussion thread in "Cults, Sects, and New Religious Movements."

It is a real struggle to hold onto faith after leaving a cult, as others on this thread have noted.

Life after a cult
Posted by: sametanner ()
Date: March 07, 2007 11:36AM

It has been my observation that many do, although some like myself don't. I was raised Catholic, converted to the Mormon church and then left when I realized I no longer believed or wanted to believe. I tried out eastern mysticism and meditation in two cults, Miracle of Love and Osho/Rajneesh. After leaving them, I no longer wanted anything to do with religion.

I still believe in some kind of higher power, energy, or consciousness, but I largely place my faith in myself and in the idea that life won't deal me any situation I can't deal with in some way. So far, it seems to work. My church is nature...watching birds fly, the sky changing, the noise of a river or stream, etc. That's as much God as I care to have.

Life after a cult
Date: March 20, 2007 04:55AM

I like everyone here left a cult that masqueraded as a church. That was 6 years ago. My family and I went through hell after we left, overnight we were treated as if we didn't exist. looking back we got support from a really good friend who was a pastor at another church. It kept us on track. sometimes i think we didn't give oursleves enough time to 'grieve' for what had happened to ourselves. What i would like to say though is that God never let us down, sure many times i was so angry at him, because of what had gone on. Somehow I managed to hold on to Him. I pray all of you will know the true God, full of love, mercy and peace. He still loves you.

Life after a cult
Date: March 21, 2007 10:17AM

David_In_The_Light
I like everyone here left a cult that masqueraded as a church. That was 6 years ago. My family and I went through hell after we left, overnight we were treated as if we didn't exist. looking back we got support from a really good friend who was a pastor at another church. It kept us on track. sometimes i think we didn't give oursleves enough time to 'grieve' for what had happened to ourselves. What i would like to say though is that God never let us down, sure many times i was so angry at him, because of what had gone on. Somehow I managed to hold on to Him. I pray all of you will know the true God, full of love, mercy and peace. He still loves you.

I hope so david becasue the cult told me, not exact words, but that God didnt love me. Didnt care what happened in my life. DIdnt love me.

Life after a cult
Date: March 21, 2007 03:41PM

Dear Abigail. 'For God so loved this world that He gave His only begotton Son'...Matt 3v16 Let no one decieve you abigail, God loves you so much, I know. He sent his son knowing they would turn against him. When I was a sinner, when He knew all about the worst in me, He loved me. when i came to the cross, the only thing that changed was that I knew He loved me. Our love may grow cold, but the love of Jesus for you will be forever, He proved that on the cross.. Love David

Life after a cult
Date: March 22, 2007 05:30AM

David, im trying to get that deep within me, that Christ loves me, but I was just diagnosed with cancer too. Im not saying that He did it, or anything. Its just that when I left the group in august of last year they said God would chastise me. They had powers there. The guy spoke in tongues and I felt the Holy spirit come from His hands as he layed them on me---but ive talked to 70+ Christians that all say the exact same thing---it was a cult! I was floored that God could move in a cult, but He did for awhile. These folks were way out there! WAAAYYY out there! They said I was a multiple persinality, they said demons were behind every illness, bad thing, anything bad! and didnt believe in medicine and doctors. Thought the illuminati was all over the hospitals and police force. Really weird folks. ANy scripture to assure me of Gods love as opposed to His wrath and condemnation on me. I KNOW in saved. Thx

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.