Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Its been 10 years......still getting nightmares
Posted by: pink1 ()
Date: November 29, 2006 10:44PM

Yeah 10 years since I left the cult Word of Life (now destiny house) In Aberdeen Scotland. But I still occasionally get nightmares about, most of them are about me going back to the cult and being forced to stay. Its pretty horrible!!!!!
Anyone else the same

Pink1 x x x

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: November 29, 2006 10:49PM

See [www.culteducation.com]

This is a section devoted to recovery from cults.

It also features a directory of professional recovery resources.

Posted by: sametanner ()
Date: November 30, 2006 09:49AM

I was in a couple of different cults, Miracle of Love and Osho (Bhagwan Sri Rajneesh). I left it all 9 1/2 yrs ago on my own. I still have occasional nightmares of the same vein - being forcibly pulled back in, being called a coward for leaving, etc. Over time they happen less often, but I don't know if they'll ever disappear. I assume it's just my insecurity over that period of my life showing up, like dreaming of being naked in public. These days, I just ignore them and go on. Counseling might help, I never tried it over my cult involvement. But it sounds pretty normal from what I've heard from other ex cult members.

Posted by: JustPlainMike ()
Date: December 21, 2006 11:45AM

We left ITCC over a year ago and I found a friend of mine had come across a group called LIfe Skills out of Colorado. I took the 26 week class and I have found it to be a great blessing and a great help in my healing. The thing that I have the most trouble withis running into people that still attend that place. I have been able to get past the desire to run or the desire to scream at them to just letting the love of Christ take over, however my wife and children are still not to that point and they still have nightmares about that place. I feel that I must get my family away from this city to get a fresh start. Do you think that is a good thing to do or an act of desperation?[/b]

Posted by: sametanner ()
Date: December 22, 2006 06:25AM

Whether or not moving away is a desperate measure or sensible really depends on you and your family and how difficult (or not) it may be to do that. IMO it's a sensible thing to do for your family's peace of mind and may accelerate the healing process for you.

I am in a similar situation with a long - time abusive family member who just doesn't get it (my mother). I am tired of my sanity and peace of mind being repeatedly tested and violated by her. I have realized that the only thing I can do is move away out of her reach and change my phone #. Without going into details, this will cause me considerable financial hardship, but for my own peace of mind, I feel it's worth it.

It boils down to doing whatever is necessary for your own good and welfare. Your lives are your own, no one else has any right to invade, interfere, or project themselves in - even vicariously. If you feel you need to move to effect that, I say do it - life is too precious and too short to make compromises where your peace of mind is concerned.

Posted by: onlyme ()
Date: March 02, 2007 09:05PM

Hi, I still have quite disturbed sleep but it hasn't been as long since I left the cult I was in. I have a variety of wierd dreams very regularly about interactions with the people there, and nightmares too, but they aren't so regular thankfully! I still live where most of the people from the cult live and see them around, and occasionally have some interaction, not usually through choice, despite having changed my mobile number I still get occasional texts on my work mobile number which I can't change. Is there any escape? I've thought often of moving house and out of the area

Posted by: 911 ()
Date: May 29, 2007 11:14AM

I am still involved in a church that is probably a cult. I am going through the realisation of this at the moment. I am finding it very difficult to leave and keep having sinister nightmares about the leaders of the church. I know that leaving takes more courage than staying. But I feel like I am held by invisible chains. My dreams reflect the fact that I am trapped.

Posted by: wizeone ()
Date: May 29, 2007 01:12PM

Apart from when former church members show up on this site? Mehhhh still pretty screwed up. I havent written God off, but his people for the most part are nutcases

When I can have a better conversation with a harekrishna than a christian, I tend to think something is wrong

Posted by: Jupiter ()
Date: July 24, 2007 06:13PM

It's been six months since I left my nrm which my entire family were involved in. I still have dreadful nightmares every single night - long and rambling and senseless, which absorb most of my energy for the entire day. It can get pretty messed up.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 24, 2007 07:23PM

See [www.culteducation.com]

This recovery section with a directory of resources might be helpful.

Also see [www.culteducation.com]

There are books about cults and recovery from cults.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.