Will things ever be normal?
Posted by: Jodes ()
Date: August 19, 2003 03:09PM

I have recently decided to leave a church after attending it for 8 years. After doing some reading I realized that the church had so very bad behaviors among the people. Is there anyone out there that is in this type of situation or has been? Please contact me to chat if you can! Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: VTHokie ()
Date: August 20, 2003 08:20PM

What were the bad behaviors?

Posted by: Jodes ()
Date: August 21, 2003 01:20PM

Things that I could see happening were: people of the church telling me that depression was a sin; that my unsaved husband(who left this same church because he saw this way before I did) needs to repent and serve God where he is planted; that if I wanted to see curses broken I should break it with a great offering to God(that was an evangelist at a revival meeting); one of my closest friends from childhood also went to the church, one day she wanted to go to another churches special ladies meeting and the pastor told her husband that he had better tell her not to go, because she will try to rule the nest when she comes back; telling me that if I followed my husband to another church that I would be walking away from God's plan for my life; basically they always would put their own convictions on other people and try to convince me and others of things that sounded good but weren't in the bible. There is so much more!

Posted by: VTHokie ()
Date: August 21, 2003 07:52PM

One of the signs of any cult is the desire to show you the error of YOUR ways. It's a controlling behavior that you also see in a abusive relationships. I had a boss once who did that. He would sit on his perch waiting for a screw-up and then launch into a tirade trying to break the person's spirit. Most people were scared of him and he only promoted those who weren't afraid of him. In other words, he would break your spirit and then lose respect for you. If you tried to make him happy, you would never get promoted. It was terrible. But I'm not bitter.

Of course, he drove several hours to attend a GodDome in Atlanta and made sure you knew it. That galled me even more. His Jesus was bigger than mine.

If I don't like a church, I just go to another one. Luckily, there is one on every street corner in the South.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.