Why I decided to leave church
Posted by: alera ()
Date: July 27, 2003 12:03PM

My background is evangelical. Much of what bothers me about evangelical groups is not so much the theology (although I'm not exactly orthodox) but social ideas. In my experience, there is pressure to believe in certain social and/or political roles even if they aren't commanded by scripture.

I dislike the politicking that goes on in many churches (or anywhere else). I have felt out of place because I don't want children. And I have come to utterly loathe flowery devotionals written by women who have godly children. Besides, I now wonder if my conversion was real or just a deep-seated need to research Christianity.

I have felt more cloistered by these social conventions than I have by scripture. My conscience has nagged me for two years and I simply cannot go back to church.

I don't think organized religion is bad per se. But I can't stand pretending something I'm not anymore. I think instead of going tomorrow morning I will make a big pot of coffee and tune in to my shortwave radio.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cyranothe2nd ()
Date: July 28, 2003 04:37AM

I know exaclt what you are saying. I remember when mother Teresa died and how the pastor of my church talked about how she was burning in hell because she was Catholic...or how anti-abortion, anti-gay, pro-conservative Right Wing agenda was taught from the pulpit like gospel. Shudder if you vote Democrat!!!!

Posted by: tecnician ()
Date: August 15, 2003 01:18AM

Cyranothe2nd
I know exaclt what you are saying. I remember when mother Teresa died and how the pastor of my church talked about how she was burning in hell because she was Catholic.

I was just thinking of Mother Teresa today. We portrayed real religion. The Bible states that the real religion that is pure is caring for the widows and orphans. I believe she is in heaven. And I am a Christian.

Posted by: VTHokie ()
Date: August 20, 2003 08:21PM

You may want to try other churches. I find there is a wide scope of beliefs, even in our little town. It varies from snake handlers (I know one) to Unitarian.

Posted by: alera ()
Date: August 24, 2003 11:33AM

I always suspected there were snake handlers in my neck of the woods-lots of MidSoutherners here.

But yes, I agree with your suggestion. There is certainly something for everyone. That's one neat thing about the American religious scene.

I have yet to visit the Unitarians. I have visited the Community of Christ and Unity as far as liberal churches are concerned.

As far as conservative churches (or more so), I'm impressed by both modern and traditionalist Catholics. They have traditions that bind people together, yet they can get out into the world and enjoy life.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.