Current Page: 3 of 19
George Geftakys
Posted by: Mark Campbell ()
Date: October 19, 2002 11:36AM

Hi Brent, Joe, and others.
Joe, you remember Tom Vessi the same as I do. He was caught in a classic double bind of the Assembly's making. The more he tried to "lay hold" on "the victory" the more depressed he got. The more he got depressed the more he wanted to drink.
"Are you rejoicing brother?" Yes, I remember being advised that every time I got up to speak. I also remember my reaction to it: It would make me so self conscious I would lose what little joy I had!
I'm always mindful that there are those out there who read here who have been suffering from their past in the Assembly. I know even those who have found a measure of recovery still have some deep wounds. I would like to remind you that God is very concerned about your condition and that there is healing in his grace. It is hard to believe anything anymore as you've trusted in what you thought was the will of God and have been ripped off!(Once burned twice shy)
I can only share as one who has been wounded and has found comfort in the truth of who God REALLY is. As the Good Samaritan he is the true friend of the one found lying near dead by the side of the road. Our diversion in the Assembly has taught us that we are not created to be circus animals jumping through hoops to win the masters approval. Instead we can learn that God is someone quite different and that his desire to show us his undying love is very real.
I hope that is some comfort to those who read and seek healing. I pray that God would reach out to all the wounded pilgrims and bless them in the true knowledge of his love. Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
George Geftakys
Posted by: ex-Geftakys ()
Date: October 20, 2002 02:28AM

Mark

I really like what you have to say in your posts. Please consider writing an article expressing some of your thoughts on grace and contrasting it with the Geftakys teaching. It is very helpful indeed.

The current membership is addicted to this site and the RickRoss site. They are currently "washing the outside of the cup," and are making external changes regarding all of the things we are saying on the web. If this keeps up, the ministry will fade away, as the members will not stop with a little freedom, but will go all the way. It is Glasnost, assembly style.

Telling the Truth is a powerful agent for change. God bless all who read this forum!
Brent

George Geftakys
Date: October 20, 2002 04:58AM

Brent,
Thanks, I am glad that there are those who can profit from what I post. I am also glad that there are current Assembly members who read here and I hope that they are blessed as well.
From the contact I have recently received regarding the Valley I would say that things are much more oppresive then when I left! I was told that they don't have fellowships any more because the Leaders felt "the Saints" shouldn't have friendships?!!
I also heard that George's teaching is getting more wacko then ever. According to a brother, who recently left, he is teaching that God created man on the 7th day(?). He was said to teach that you need special vision to see this as it is not explicitly mentioned in scripture. I think the Assembly cup needs not only washing but possibly some crack repairs as well.
You are quite correct Brent; there is no way to "fix" a system without first admitting you have a problem. We experienced this many times over the years during our involvment in the Assembly. One such situation was the child discipline in the meetings. Mothers were instructed to bring little switches, or wood spoons into the meetings to enforce good behavior for their kids. An "outsider" observed this and complained so the whole program went underground. (which meant you took the kids out to the bathroom for their beating--- er-- ah-- I mean discipline.) When my wife was told there was to be no more switching in the meetings she asked, "why the change in policy?" and was told that, "there is no change as no one was ever told to discipline in the meetings." Why couldn't they just say, " we were wrong"? Because once you've set yourself up as God's messenger, in the center of God's will, who hears God's voice, there is no room for error.
All the wonderful teaching regarding grace in the Bible can not find a place to dwell where stubborn pride exists. God dwells in the humble and contrite heart. For the heart that is honest with God, and with others, will be flooded with the washing and renewing of the Holy Spirit. This is why, my dear Assembly friend, you have to confront you leaders re. issues that you know are wrong. Where does the money go that I put in the box? Who is Brother George accountable to? How does he square his teaching with the bible and with orthodox evangelical teaching? Why is it so difficult to leave and why are you shunned when leaving? and etc.
If the leaders are not entreatable it shows that they are not men of God for the bible teaches that wisdom from above is not only entreatable it is EASY to be entreated. My experience was that the leaders not only would not hear any questions regarding their teaching, and/or practices, they would turn the tables on you and attack you for even asking such questions!
If any would like to challenge my statements above or have them expanded upon please e-mail me and we will keep the whole thing private. I am not in the Assembly now and only hear 2nd hand messages so maybe you would like to straighten me out. I would look forward to such discussion. MC3073@aol.com (please send no viruses-thanks) God Bless, Mark

George Geftakys
Date: October 20, 2002 08:19AM

Hi Mark and others:

Interesting about your observation about things being more oppressive than ever in the SF Valley. Up in SLO, since so many left, they are trying real hard to be a kinder, gentler Assembly. Perhaps this will occur in SF Valley as well, especially if major sin in the "Chief Leader's" life becomes public.

I remember the child discipline policies as well. Incredible isn't it. What in the world were we all thinking! I am always embarrasses and thankful at the same time when I reflect back on things like that.

So, man was created on the 7th day, eh? George is right, it does take special revelation to see this, what with the Bible clearly saying the 6th day and all. Alas, If this were the only type of whacky teaching he was promulgating in his house. Hey, you Assembly members out there, If your leader can teach something like what is mentioned above, ask yourselves if perhaps his teaching on the Inheritance and the "Testimony" might be slightly askew as well.

Thats all for now,

Brent

George Geftakys
Posted by: terry huffman ()
Date: October 20, 2002 11:38PM

Greetings:
Just last Christmas season my family and I rec.'d a visit from some carolers. My wife answered the door, and when I heard from the kitchen while cooking I realized this was the local assembly folks. In short they presented my wife w/ a turkey, homemade bread, a gift certificate, pointsetta, and a card and then left. In any case, I went to the closest assembly member's house a little later-one with whom I had a friendship with during my assembly days-and set them on his porch, calling him later to explain that I cd.n't on principle accept them.. It seems to me to be manipulation (even tho some are sincere) seeing that they themselves don't celebrate Christmas, wd. under normal circumstances not have any contact with me, and their being aware of my attempts to warn others makes me a willing accomplice of the devil. Also, a short time before I was warned God wd. take away my wife and family. Appreciate any of your observations/comments.
Sincerely,
Terry Huffman

George Geftakys
Date: October 21, 2002 01:09AM

Hi Terry,
I don't know if we were in the Assembly at the same time as I left 10 years ago or so from the Assembly in the San Fernando Valley ( a suburb of Los Angeles). Your name sounds familiar and maybe I met you if you visited Fullerton for a seminar. Where in the Midwest are you from?
Of course you did the correct thing in taking back the gifts as they were decietful and manipulative in nature.
How are you doing with being out? Are you in contact with other former members that have been helpful to you?
It is great to be able to hob-nob with ex-members and give each other a boost in our sometimes drooping spirits.
Apparently the e-mail link via the board does not work correctly so if you would like to e-mail me my address is MC3073@aol.com
(you must capitalize the first two letters)
God Bless, Mark

George Geftakys
Posted by: terry huffman ()
Date: October 22, 2002 05:05AM

Greetings to all:
One thing that was noticeable in the assembly I attended was the great inexperience of the leaders that were chosen, not to mention their relative youth at the time. Often Paul to Timothy was quoted..."let no man despise thy youth...." - yet the Scriptures cont. w/ " he must not be a recent convert "(1 Ti. 3:6 ). All 3 leaders chosen didn't even consider themselves Christians until coming in contact with the assembly, or very shortly before.
We used to laugh at the expense of the Mormon Missionaries with their elder badges, but I think the joke was really on us! One of the results of this acc. to Paul is arrogance( puffed up ).
A constant refrain was "we are the examples God raised up for you," or "we're God's government", etc. One time I had a very minor disagreement with a leader and it became for me a kingdom issue( that is, whether I wd. inherit or not). It doesn't matter if these leaders are older now w/more experience.Can the past devastation be undone? Anyone care to comment who has thought about this more deeply?

George Geftakys
Date: October 22, 2002 05:56AM

Hi Terry and everyone else

Yes, the most important character trait in a Geftakys "leader," is compliance. Leaders are mostly inexperienced because they need to be easily controlled. Instead of real leaders, George, et al is looking for Lieutenants and seargents, not colonels and generals. There is only room for one at the top, and he is head over his house.

On another note, look for a new website in the future:

Geftakysassembly.com

Details to follow.

Brent

George Geftakys
Posted by: joe sperling ()
Date: October 22, 2002 06:16AM

Terry----

It's very interesting what you wrote about the Leadership
issue in the Assembly. You know, if you really read the book
of Acts you notice that the leaders were "elected" by the
church--true--it says "THEY looked amongst themselves for
those who were filled with the Spirit." But it doesn't say that
one man chose all of the elders. It says that the Church looked
amongst themselves for the leaders. in the Assembly the Leaders
are basically "hand-picked" by George. If anyone were to take issue with someone he has "Chosen" to be a leading brother,
they would be severely reprimanded. That's why both of his sons
were made leaders of the church. Not by qualification, but because George "picked" them. And that's why you wind up with an abusive leader who abuses his wife. I noticed often while in
the Assembly that many of the leading brothers were actually
chosen due to their "boldness"(being extroverted) and ability to
preach the word, rather than their care and concern for the sheep. You begin to realize that this brother indeed is very good
at "giving a word", but severely lacking when it comes to the true christian graces required by a minister. -Joe

George Geftakys
Date: October 22, 2002 07:14AM

Hi Terry and others,
It is very interesting how a novice is prefered to any one who really knows the Word. This allowed George to maintain control over his satellite groups. Loyalty to the Assembly is the most important attribute in a leader to George. George ran off some older brethren who had some gift and knowledge of the Word because they wouldn't be manipulated by him.
I think I will try to take up Brent's suggestion and start a series via post here re. the grace of God and Assembly teaching. That will allow others to add their insight.
The first point re. grace and the Assembly is to understand that the Assembly teaching regarding holiness does not stand alone. What I mean by that is that it is tied in with "faithfulness" to the Assembly itself. George's message of holiness is tied together with what he calls, "The Heavenly Vision". This Heavenly vision is a vision of God's government expressed on earth. It is not a matter of whether you are a Christian or not, but whether you are submitting to God's government, as expressed locally in a church that meets and thinks exactly like the Assembly.
George considers himself to have an apostolic ministry (though he does not call himself an apostle). This is something to pay attention to re. Assembly teaching as terms have dual meanings as above. If he says he has an apostlic ministry he surely is claiming to be an apostle. He is dishonest re. this as the arrogance of such a claim would offend many.
Holiness, in Assembly terms, takes on an extrabiblical definition that can't be understood simply as a life lived as Jesus walked. (Indeed I don't think Jesus would be welcome in the Assembly if he didn't submit to Geroge's teaching!) Assembly teaching of holiness is first and foremost loyalty to the group even if that means being very cold and abusive to individuals.
More later on what Biblical holiness is. (we will eventually get to grace) God Bless, Mark

Current Page: 3 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.