Neurogenesis - Dark Chocolate
Posted by: facet ()
Date: January 09, 2020 08:34PM

I found an article today where studies confirm that dark chocolate consumption is helpful in neurogenesis, neurons concerning learning and memory, which is something that some of us may be working with after coming out of circumstances that have affected our brains.

Link

“ Cocoa powder and chocolate contain numerous substances among which there is a quite large percentage of antioxidant molecules, mainly flavonoids, most abundantly found in the form of epicatechin. These substances display several beneficial actions on the brain. They enter the brain and induce widespread stimulation of brain perfusion. They also provoke angiogenesis, neurogenesis and changes in neuron morphology, mainly in regions involved in learning and memory.”

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m heading down to the shops :-).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Neurogenesis - Dark Chocolate
Posted by: allalong ()
Date: February 23, 2020 12:21AM

Thank you for posting this research. Over the years, I have retrained my taste buds to enjoy very dark chocolate. It's not bitter tasting to me anymore. I also use unsweetened cocoa powder in baking, cacao nibs in making smoothies, etc. I tell myself it's chocolate even though it isn't chocolate like we're used to because of the lack of sugar. I enjoy a small piece of 86% dark chocolate with a cup of tea or occasionally a glass of red wine. Sometimes I'll make hot chocolate out of unsweetened cocoa and add a touch of natural sweetener to it. It's nice to see research that it helps the brain.

Re: Neurogenesis - Dark Chocolate
Posted by: facet ()
Date: February 23, 2020 04:58AM

Ooh that sounds nice, red wine and dark chocolate ! The hot chocolate too. I like to have a cacao now and then, not too many though, anything can be overdone and become too much for the body.

The research is interesting isn’t it? Foods we eat or don’t eat can definitely help or hinder us. Bring on the chocs though ! Hehe .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.