Please help. I need to find a cult therapist in Dallas
Posted by: ExJWTexas ()
Date: March 01, 2006 09:45AM

Hi. I am new here. I am an Ex Jehovah's Witness. I was in for appx. 15 years. I have not been able to heal, and am just getting a lot worse in my feelings. I have extreme guilt, and have lost all family and friends as I was disfellowshipped and shunned. I am having some serious issues with coping. I have been to a couple mental health facilities, and was told by one that they were not trained nor equipped to deal with my issues of leaving the Watchtower Organization.

I checked out the resource page that is provided on this site, but I can find nothing in the Dallas, Texas area. Does anybody know of any therapists or mental health orgs. in the Dallas area that deal with cult issues?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 01, 2006 08:36PM

Hi,

all i can suggest is that you type in 'cult', 'recovery', 'jw', 'counselling', 'dallas', etc. into google or similar.

I've just done this and come up with:-

www.exjw.meetup.com/lists/us/tx/dallas/
(ex-jw individuals are listed on this site, looking for meeting/counselling. There may also be pro counsellors listed on here)

Also, try contacting the American Family Foundation (AFF). They might be able to suggest a professional in Dallas.

Finally, how about your yellow pages, under counselling/psychotherapy?

Posted by: SpringThyme ()
Date: March 01, 2006 09:42PM

Hello EJWTexas,

I'm an ex too and have been out since 1987. I had a lot of trouble adjusting to the real world and to the shunning, but I think I'm pretty much deprogrammed now.

Therapy had a big part in my recovery, and ex-JW sites also played a big part.

Have you visited [www.jehovahs-witness.com] ? Years ago it was a JW site, but now, it's 98 percent EX-JW's.

Randy's site [freeminds.com] is also very good.

So how long have you been an EX-JW?

If there is anyway I can be of help, please let me know.

Posted by: counselor47 ()
Date: March 14, 2006 10:26AM

I am a Licensed Professional Counselor in Dallas and a former member of a Bible-based cult. I went back to school for an MS in counseling specifically to work with former cult members, though it takes several years from the time you get your license to get on the insurance panels so that you can maintain a private practice. I am working at a public mental health agency now (mostly with people who are struggling with Major Depression), but I think I could arrange a way to see you through the agency.

Posted by: nccg_concern ()
Date: March 17, 2006 01:51AM

EJWTexas,

First thing I want to say is, congratulations on getting out of there.

Secondly, I'm wondering how you're doing. If you come back, let us know.

Posted by: beclyon ()
Date: May 27, 2006 06:07AM

counselor47
I am a Licensed Professional Counselor in Dallas and a former member of a Bible-based cult. I went back to school for an MS in counseling specifically to work with former cult members, though it takes several years from the time you get your license to get on the insurance panels so that you can maintain a private practice. I am working at a public mental health agency now (mostly with people who are struggling with Major Depression), but I think I could arrange a way to see you through the agency.

I, too, am in Dallas and looking for help after being in a Bible-based cult. If you are available, I'd like to talk about counseling. Please let me know.

Posted by: counselor47 ()
Date: May 27, 2006 09:11PM

Feel free to email me at dduncan@abcbh.com and I will see what I have available. This is Saturday morning of Memorial Day weekend and that is my office email, so I won't see it until I get back to work on Tuesday, but I will respnnd to you then.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.