Recovered memory query
Posted by: PennyBright ()
Date: December 20, 2003 12:01PM

Does anyone know of good resources for self help for dealing with memory issues?

Penny

Options: ReplyQuote
Recovered memory query
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: December 20, 2003 07:46PM

Be very careful.

See [www.culteducation.com]

This area of therapy is loaded with quacks.

Recovered memory query
Posted by: PennyBright ()
Date: December 21, 2003 02:39AM

I'm well aware. :( What I am looking for is some way to explore/heal some memory issues I have without falling into this kind of trap.

Penny

Recovered memory query
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: December 21, 2003 09:42AM

A good book is TRAUMA and RECOVERY by Judith Lewis Herman.
[www.jimhopper.com]

This is explains why we sometimes "forget" certain memories. We "banish them from consciousness" as they are too painful.

Just stay away from Hypnosis, and "suggestion" and all the rest. They can contaminate, and even create "memories".

Also, here is a good general self help FREE book.
[mentalhelp.net]

Coz

Recovered memory query
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: January 02, 2004 09:13AM

In my view, this is a good initialresource for dealing with trauma and PTSD. Of course, seek good professional help, but there is a lot people can do to help themselves.
[mentalhelp.net]

You can download the entire free ebook mentioned above, Psychological Self Help from here. It really is an excellent piece of work.

[mentalhelp.net]

Coz

Re: Recovered memory query
Posted by: concerneddad2011 ()
Date: January 10, 2012 11:04AM

Unfortunately, we have lost a daughter (she’s now 19) due having false memories of sexual abuse (initially by some schoolmates which eventually expanded to include her father) due to “recovered memory therapy” by two of the therapists at Mercy Ministries, as she has cut off all contact with us. We are not interested in suing (even though the therapists sure deserve to be!) , we just want our daughter back and pray that someday she come to realize that these memories are false. The place she was treated by these therapists at seems to be a cleverly-disguised cult…I corresponded recently with someone who was her roommate and that’s what she claims it was and they use “recovered memory therapy” as a way of control and an effective way of separating them from their "family of origin".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.