Current Page: 5 of 11
Re: Recovering from Choices Counseling Center
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 27, 2009 12:14AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: drbkas ()
Date: August 27, 2009 12:35AM

I, in no way, wish to lessen your feelings about this issue. In fact, I understand how so many people who leave Choices may feel exactly the same way. I do want to offer another perspective.

Most people, when they get to Choices, are in pretty bad shape. They have been to other facilities and relapsed, sometimes multiple times. Choices has a very good success rate. They deal with alot of painful things in our lives. How they deal with it, can be very very tough. I understand how someone can interpret that as abusive. I honestly don't think it is their intent, but I also don't think they may be aware of the scarring left from it either.

Accept the positives you got from them. Understand that there is no perfect solution, place, or person. Be happy for the life you have after Choices, as so many of their clients have gone on to great lives. I hope that one day they change some of their ways, and recoginze some of their deficiencies. Regardless, I will take what I can, and leave the rest behind.....Good luck to you.

Date: August 27, 2009 01:21AM

drbkas:

How is Choices licensed?

Is it a licensed mental health facility devoted to rehabilitation?

How is its staff accountable? To what licensing board?

Are there licensed substance abuse counselors on staff?

What are the educational requirements for staff at Choices? Is there a staff psychologist or psychiatrist that provides and/or supervises treatment?

Posted by: BW213 ()
Date: August 27, 2009 09:03AM

I was there 12 years, so I probably know you.
Good luck,
B

[b Moderator's Note: Posting contact information is against the rules you agreed to regarding this message board.[/b]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2009 08:42PM by rrmoderator.

Date: August 27, 2009 08:25PM

drbkas:

Why don't you answer the questions here at the baord?

Why did you answer through the private messaging system, but not here on the board?

Date: August 27, 2009 08:51PM

To whom it may concern:

See [www.choicescc.com]

This is the page within Choices Web site that lists its professional staff and credentials.

See [www.choicescc.com]

"Choices is an outpatient counseling center and is neither licensed nor equipped for conventional inpatient treatment."

To read the "Choices Story" see [www.choicescc.com]

A fee schedule for the services provided by the center through its various programs is offered through its Web site.

Date: August 27, 2009 09:09PM

i DIDNT ANSWER THE QUESTIONS ON THE BOARD BECAUSE I THOUGHT THE MODERATOR SENT THEM TO ME IN A PRIVATE MESSAGE. I do not know all of the answers to those questions, and I do not wish to spread rumors or inconsistencies. I gave the Choices website, and anyone is free to look up the info, as provided by them.

I will say that Choices is anout patient, intensive out p[atient, program. Anyone over 18 is free to leave whenever they want. Sometimes, families will not be supportive of the person if they leave, as so much destruction has gone on in their life (which is why they went there in the first place).

I know people who have stayed for 30 days and for years. It is certainly not for everyone. As I had stated previously, although I question some of their procedures, the end result was that after 14 months, I had a clean and sober daughter who has gone on with her life and is doing well. I am sure the time spent there ws very hard, and I have a great deal of respect and admiration for anyone who goes there. To pick up your life, be displaced, and work on your life is one of the most difficult things I can imagine.

I feel for those who may feel abused and mistreated while they were there. I am a parent, not a client, so I may have a different perspective. What I am encouraged to see, on this forum, is that so many people have done well, even though they may have issues with Choices. There is someirony in that, as wasn't that the reason they went there? To be able to go one with their life, be sober, be productive, be a part of their families, develop relationships? I amalso thankful for forums like this where people can get support and comfort that they are not alone in their feelings.

Date: August 27, 2009 09:15PM

drbkas:

The questions were post on this thread (scroll up).

They were never sent as a private message to you.

I have posted some links to the Choices Web site so that anyone interested can see what they disclose about their background and staff.

I could not find any specific mention about state or board licensing.

Date: August 27, 2009 10:44PM

i put it on private because it came from the moderator. i didnt know how or where to respond since i never received a moderator question before. Sorry if I made an error.

Posted by: Lady Pleiades ()
Date: August 27, 2009 11:21PM

Dear DRBKAS

I appreciate your wanting to defend Choices. I often say as much when I tell people about it: those boot camp methods can work with really difficult addicts... I guess if you have tried several other methods of treatment that may just be the last resort.

My experience is that I went to Choices already sober. My husband and I went for "codependency" therapy. I would not say most, or even many of the people, were addicts who were in rough shape, although definitely some were. That may be more and more the case now. The real irony is that, people like me, under their boot camp style, were forced to be 24/7 guardians of people like your daughter, to maintian that 24/7 supervision. I ran 12 step meetings, was an assigned sponsor, chauffeur and babysitter of course. What is questionable is that they do function logistically like an inpatient facility without the certifications.

I wonder what kind of addictions certifications they have? Since our lawsuit, I know Maureen had to take continuing ed courses. I hope addictions counseling was part of that package.

Finally, as a recovering addict and alcoholic for 23 years I believe that ANY way someone gets clean and sober is a bell-ringing, praise to the heavens success! As a new mom, if it were my young daughter or son... I may even send them to Choices (as a last resort) ;) LOL Which is pretty funny because they were absolutely brutal BRU- TAL to me b/c I was a "troublemaker". But I digress. I understand your defending Choices. I also used to say, Yes, their tactics work but, in Nazi Germany, all the trains ran on time.

Current Page: 5 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.