H. Spencer Lewis spin on burning incense from Monograph # 7
Posted by: Michael Jones ()
Date: October 31, 2008 09:41AM

I found this entry on the website

[www.theprisonerofamorc.typepad.com]

I went to the monograph and verify the content ot the monograph on the subject of incense
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Burning incense may spark respiratory cancers
Constant users were 80 percent more likely to develop disease, study says
[www.msnbc.msn.com]
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now here is the “Infallible” H. Spencer Lewis views on incense burning from Monograph # 7

In connection with the study of the symbolism which mystics have
attributed to fire and flame for centuries, we feel a few remarks need to be
made regarding the importance of using incense, notably when you prepare to
study a monograph or to withdraw to your Sanctum to meditate. ...

Some persons state that they do not like the scent of incense or even that they cannot bear it. Actually, it may not be the odor itself which causes their aversion, but rather its connection with a religious context they dislike. You will note that most persons who have a certain “allergy” to incense do not like the atmosphere of churches and, in general, feel in no way attracted to mysticism.................

I am eager to hear your comments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: H. Spencer Lewis spin on burning incense from Monograph # 7
Posted by: Nerveno ()
Date: October 31, 2008 10:47PM

Buddists, Pagans and people in General use incense.

That is Lewis' view on incense.
There is nothing wrong with what he said.

If your going to compare his view against the risk of cancer and not compare others views, then you are just picking on AMORC.

You really need to stop fault finding with AMORC.
This thread has no use besides bullying imo.

Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: November 01, 2008 04:25AM

Nerveno, how is Michael Jones "picking" on AMORC?

I love this site for all the information it provides and how recovering cult-members can vent and illuminate about their experiences.

I am only aware of "bullying" on this site by active cultists and cult apologists, IMO.

Also, I appreciated the information of lung problems from heavy users of incense.

Date: November 01, 2008 06:06AM

Sparky,

Look at the facts. AMORC is not the only organization who uses Incense. Buddists, Taoists, Pagans, New Age healers and general people use it.

It is not fair to single out H.Spencer Lewis' views on Incense. As most people will agree with the statement.

Michael Jones clearly has an axe to grind with AMORC. Because in no way does this thread show or produce any evidence that AMORC is a cult.

I have been in AMORC for 15 months now (with a period of 3 months inactivity while focusing on Astral Projection to no avail) and i am not brainwashed in the slightest.

All i am trying to do is work out why Michael Jones labels AMORC as a cult when any arguement he has can be cited to a real life example (see his other posts for what I mean)

AMORC is a great organization imo. And in the extremely rare occurance that michael is right. I will be the first to apologise.

Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: November 01, 2008 09:34AM

Nerveno, how were you first drawn to the Rosicrucian Order?

I am interested in all things "unusually" religious (no offense is meant, but lets fact it AMORC is an "unusual religion").

Yes. Yes. I know it claims not to be a religion yet the rituals speak religion to me, otherwise why the need to do them even if it is to "center" a person.

I also understand that you must pay an annual fee of a couple hundred bucks (US) or so. It just seems so odd that an "Egyptian" "religion" of sorts has no traceable history to ancient Egypt. I don't fault anyone their beliefs (except perhaps Al Qaida or Scientology) but find it facsinating when I encounter a true believer as you clearly are. I have never been to the Rosicrucian HQ/Museum in New Mexico(?) but find it oddly intriguely interesting.

If you don't pay your annual dues, (still about $200?) how can you be drummed out/prevented from practicing especially if it is not a real organized faith?

Date: November 01, 2008 07:42PM

Sparky,

I have always been drawn to things the Rosicrucian Order, AMORC teach. Such as Meditation, Energy Work, Metaphysics etc. In fact, I first began meditating at the age of 12. When I 18 while looking for information on google about Astral Projection the Order came up, I looked at it and I felt drawn to it. I joined and havent looked back since.

With regards to Ritual, you can find Ritual everywhere you look. The way people get up in the morning (For instance, every morning I have a cup of tea and then wash, always that way). Ritual does not need to be Religious nor does it need to have a Religious connotation. Such as my step-mother was telling me of her ritual she does, she is in no way Religious nor belong to any Order, but whenever she looks for a parking space, she asks for her Grandfather to help find her a space (As whenever she travelled with him he always managed to find a parking space, even in the fullest car parks)
Before I joined the order I did a Ritual of drinking water and having a bath as to purify myself before I did any meditation etc.
Ritual is everywhere just the words used to describe it are different (that is MY view not influenced by AMORC).

I am in the student rate at AMORC at the moment so I pay £18 every four months but when that runs out its £56 every four mouths (I do not pay annually due to my wages) this to me (even the £56) is a small price, since every month I spend £45 a month on my mobile bill (even at the cheapest it's £20 a month) you understand they need to have some money for postage, priniting, mailing, the seminars, rent. Just like any other Order or even a company or home owner, we all need to make money to survive, unfortunately that is life. This should not be used as evidence that it is a cult.

With regards to the History, if you read (or listen to the podcast) it state the Egyptian history is passed down from Legends and word of mouth, so yes, it could all be wrong, but without faith in it then you will not belive, personally I do believe in it, but as AMORC state, it is down to the individual to decide what they do and do not belive about thier teachings. Also while speaking to a long standing member he told me due to the "hush-hush" nature AMORC (and indeed many other Orders) of the 17th Century they had to "go dark" and remove all public trace of themselves every 144 years. This was because back in the day any non-christian would be burned at the stake or at least punished severly, this is why some records cease to exist. But you try and keep a record of history that is supposed to span back 3361 years! :). Also they do not state that the Egyptians were Rosicrucians, but that our teachings are influenced by the ancient Egyptians.

If you do not pay your dues, you recieve no mailings, cannot access the temples or anything, of course this does not stop anyone practicing as people can give you thier monographs to study (which is a rule breaker but there we go). Also most people claim you can learn what AMORC teaches for free, while this may be true, I would say you would only join the Order in that case for the Rosicrucian perpective on thier teachings, that you cannot learn for free.

I notice the website (and book) Michael Jones copies his posts from, in one exercise it completely misses out the overall aim of the exercise as well as some of the methods of it. Thus the purpose of that is to influence the person who is reading's decision on AMORC. Which I find to be bullying and manipulative, something AMORC do not do.

I am willing to discuss AMORC with anyone who would like to know.
My e-mail address is jamespeppitt1989@gmail.com, please feel free to either contact me there or on here :)

I hope this answers your questions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2008 07:42PM by Nerveno.

Posted by: peterhughes73 ()
Date: November 02, 2008 01:19AM

I have been in AMORC for 15 months now (with a period of 3 months inactivity while focusing on Astral Projection to no avail) and i am not brainwashed in the slightest.

Nerveno,

All members of any cult will make the same statement about their organization. This is the effect of Mind Control. It

always feels voluntary while you in it.

Of course if you knew you were in a cult you would leave (if you were not already entrapped).

So Take it easy. Remember there are 3 group of people as related to AMORC

1-Just understand there are many people that agree that AMORC is a cult and say it openly.

2-There are others that agree that AMORC is a cult but is afraid of criticising the organisation openly

3-and of course there are people like you that do not believe that AMORC is a cult.

You will find these three groups in all cults.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.