Current Page: 2 of 3
My Scientology Experience
Posted by: i_was_one ()
Date: October 21, 2005 08:21AM

Hi hipnz,

Thanks for writing. I was the perennial public Scientologist, I would blow every now and then, but would be reeled back in like so many others.

Actually, I really liked some of the staff people at the Org that I took most of my service from. I could tell that some of them really did like me as a person, now when I look back at it I wonder if some of the staff who were helping to get me on lines and in session, etc., may have had their share of doubts also. I also wonder how many of them have left. I would imagine quite a few.

Yeah, you're right about the language. I remember having met someone when I was pretty new to Scientology, I think I met this lady at work, she said something I agreed with, and I said "Spot on". She looked at me perplexed, I could see her thinking, "Where did this guy get that saying?"

I wonder if she thought I was weird.

Funny thing is, I don't think I have ever heard that saying anywhere else but in Scientology. It almost makes me chuckle just to recall it.

I would guess that if I got with a group of ex-Scientologists, I could probably sit up half the night listening to and laughing at some of the stories. Some of my stories I am sure would be funny too.

Regards,

i_was_one

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: October 22, 2005 12:37AM

i_was_one
Yeah, you're right about the language. I remember having met someone when I was pretty new to Scientology, I think I met this lady at work, she said something I agreed with, and I said "Spot on". She looked at me perplexed, I could see her thinking, "Where did this guy get that saying?"

I wonder if she thought I was weird.

Funny thing is, I don't think I have ever heard that saying anywhere else but in Scientology. It almost makes me chuckle just to recall it.

Is "spot on" a Scientologist saying? The first time I ever heard the term, I was working as a copy editor for a music magazine in NYC in 1995. One of the writers had used that term in a review, and I asked my editor what it meant. He said it was a British expression meaning "right on target". I've been hearing it more and more the last few years and just assumed my editor was right and it was just some British slang getting popular here in the States.

Date: October 24, 2005 09:31AM

You could very well be right about the origin. It is possible that L. Ron Hubbard picked it up when he was in England at East Grinstead Sussex, which is an advanced organization of Scientology. I do not remember if there is a definition for that "saying" in The "Dianetics and Scientology Technical Dictionary", but I do know I picked it up while fairly new to Scientology. I think I first heard it while listening to a tape recorded lecture given by L. Ron Hubbard, but I am not sure. Anyway, my first encounter with the phrase was in Scientology, so for all I knew maybe LRH invented it. Obviously he did not.

Regardless, it is humorous to recall the suprised look I got from this young lady when I used the saying.

Thanks for the information.

Sincerely,

i_was_one

Posted by: hipnz ()
Date: October 24, 2005 12:23PM

i_was_one

Scientology Staff members were led to believe that one who left Scientology would not do very well in life, as he or she would have committed overts (harmful acts) against the Church. I, as a public Scientologist, was told this on numerous occasions by Staff members.

A very good reason never to leave. Imagine my surprise when things were going really well for us after we left, then suddenly we had a family disaster.
All I could imagine my scientology family was thinking was "Well, they pulled that one in, because they left scientology."
Thats been pretty hard to live with, but I know in my heart it is irrelevant, and the "family disaster" was just life in the real world, and we learned and grew from it as individuals, and became "real" people.
My scn family doesnt see it that way tho. Instead of empathy, we got rejection.

I think it helps a lot not to be in a city that has an org, you aren't hunted down as much. Its easier to be forgotten.

I havent heard the "spot on" saying as such either... it must be one of those colloquialisms that even scn has!

Date: October 25, 2005 03:50AM

Hi hipnz,

Thanks for replying.

I think it was kind of arrogant of L. Ron Hubbard to try to make adherents to his religion, his movement, believe that those who stayed in Scientology could rise above the disasters, tragedies and pitfalls of life that beset everyone from time to time. And yes, that would be another reason to stay in Scientology. "What if he's right?", is probably what a lot of the people who are still in Scientology are thinking. So they keep on trucking along until they finally realize that "getting up the bridge" is either not attainable, or perhaps even not nearly as beneficial as it was cracked up to be.

I think L Ron Hubbard was a control freak, trying to control members by making them think they could not survive without Scientology. It was all over his writings. This control kept me in for a long time.

I think it was ironic that L. Ron Hubbard would devalue "houses, cars, stocks and bonds" as being only "temporary", when his donation rates for auditing were sky high, and he pressured those working for him to bring in a lot of money.

So in a way I think he was speaking with "forked tongue". There is no doubt in my mind that the accumulation of a lot of wealth for his religion, his movement, and for L. Ron Hubbard personally was very important to him. Somehow I guess it did not bother his conscience that a lot of people, myself included, who were buying auditing spent money that otherwise could have been earmarked for "savings and financial security". Or that he would allow his staff members to serve him for years with full time service that paid them, as you noted earlier, virtually no income.

That is why I do not have very much respect for the "founder of Scientology".

Sincerely,

i_was_one

Posted by: PsychStudent ()
Date: February 06, 2006 12:11PM

Hi, I'm a psychology student in Seattle currently working on a research project which focuses on Scientology. I'm looking for ex-Scientologists, or friends and families of Scientologists (ex or current) to share their experience with "The Church". If you are willing or would like to share a more detailed account of your time in Scientology and/or answer some specific questions please say so in an email to: about.scientology@gmail.com
All response is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted by: hipnz ()
Date: February 06, 2006 04:43PM

You must realize then, that anyone who responded to your email address would have to be pretty darn brave because of the likelihood that you may be one of them trying to either get your stats up or save the world.... that YOU might be a plant!
I'm happy to answer questions on here, but am not necessarily willing to do it by private email, where I can more easily be identified.
Such is the life of an ex-scientologist.

Date: May 06, 2006 08:59PM

I have been so scared of cults for a long time that it started to affect me in social situations. It is great reading these stories; I am realising that individuals have the power not to be coerced by these groups.

There was life before Scientology existed, right? And if L Ron Hubbard can come up with "the answers" then so can we as individuals make our way to our own answers, right?

I am not nearly so scared of cults now.

Posted by: Rose ()
Date: May 15, 2006 11:15PM

Well, I think you SHOULD be scared of cults! At least...a little fear is a good thing if it keeps you on your guard.

Cults prey on confused people looking for answers and they use very well researched techniques to 'help' you let down that guard. They come across loving, benign, and like they have the answer to YOUR questions and [i:a562a29071]only[/i:a562a29071] they have those answers. Nobody else. In fact, they tell you early on, that looking elsewhere is futile and could even be destructive. :shock: For a person who is confused or in a pickle, that can feel like a lightening bolt. Nobody who is in trouble wants to inadvertently get into MORE trouble...so you listen closer to their message and thus begin the slippery slope into losing yourself and having your mind made up for you.

Scientology is one of the worst because it is so public, and so shiny and slick. The Original Poster mentioned that she 'blew' quite regularly! Good for Her! (blowing means to 'dine and dash' so to speak. Scientologists like to keep you around and after you have been in one of their sessions of auditing, and are in a numb and trancelike state, they like to talk you into getting signed up for the next round of torture.) If you blow it means they have failed at indoctrinating you, and the person who did your auditing gets in trouble!

Posted by: sfbill ()
Date: July 05, 2006 08:35AM

Like yourself, I was in SCN for quite a long time, in my case 15 years, and eventually did leave. Funny thing is that my life immediately got a lot, lot better after I left. I did have some help getting out, and I am grateful to those that helped me.

And like yourself, I am interested in making contact with some ex-SCN members. I am still struggling with the aftermath, and it would be helpful to share some experiences "on the outside".

Good luck.

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.