Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
My Scientology Experience
Posted by: i_was_one ()
Date: October 04, 2005 11:10AM

I read some of the website information about Scientology. I am not surprised that a Church spokesperson asked why a reporter was asking about the cost of Scientology services, because they are very expensive, especially the auditing sessions.

I was in Scientology 13 years, and although I achieved some improvement, most notably, I think, the ability to overcome a drinking problem, which I have beaten, the cost was very expensive.

Some of the Scientology registrars (the staff members who registered public Scientologists for auditing and training), used high pressure sales tactics to get Scientologists to pay for very expensive auditing. Scientologists, like myself, were frequently told that they need to stay in Scientology, because of the continual improvement in their spiritual well-being which results from going up the "Bridge" (the path to spiritual freedom).

Although I am grateful for having been able to overcome a drinking problem which I think was mostly the result of my Dianetic and Scientology auditing, I think I eventually would have overcome the drinking problem through AA, psychological counseling, or some combination of the two.

I spent about $50,000, maybe more, when you add up the costs of some training, mostly auditing sessions, books, and travel to auditing sessions over that 13 year period.

The staff members believe Scientology is the greatest religious movement on planet Earth. I do not know if most public Scientologists (those, like I was, who did not work on staff, but paid public prices for the auditing and training) think the same, but the staff (those working for the Church) try hard to convince them that it is.

There are good things about Scientology, I think especially for wealthy celebrities who can easily pay the donation rates for the training and auditing, but the average public Scientologist cannot afford very much auditing. I think this, plus the fact that Scientology is so different, plus the pressure that is applied by staff members to keep Scientologists in the fold and going up the bridge, plus disapproval from family members and friends, is why the vast majority of public Scientologists, as I did, drop out of the movement after being in it maybe anywhere from one or two up to ten years or more.

I remember that it took me awhile to realize for sure that Scientology was not nearly as big a deal, and not nearly as important to the survival of the world, as the Church and its staff members wanted the public Scientolists to believe.

The whole time I was in Scientology, I had doubts about it, but I was told that my problems were mostly because of me, in that because I was afraid to tell my family how important Scientology was to me and that I intended for it to be an important part of my life, that I would never achieve near the gains from it as I would otherwise, and that I was PTS, a "potential trouble source".

Well, a lot of people were PTS, a "potential trouble source", and a lot of those people, like myself, dropped out of Scientology. I would guess that Scientology has had about the highest dropout rate of members of any religion in the history of the world.

But I do not doubt that it continues to grow. I think the Church, as has been widely reported, is very wealthy.

Sincerely,

i_was_one

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 05, 2005 09:04AM

One of the many differences between Scientology and mainstream religions is that in Scientology, if you are not wealthy, you have to spend every spare dime you make, like I did, to buy the auditing, or you work as a staff member for little or nothing, thereby foregoing the opportunity to make a regular wage or salary in a full time job. Some of the full time staff members also have part time jobs doing whatever they can to make ends meet.

But if you are a member of a mainstream religion, the person of average or modest means can reap the same benefit from being a member as can the wealthy person, as it is very affordable and you donate what you are comfortable with, not "all the money" that is left over after paying the bills.

I am so, so glad I got out of Scientology fifteen years ago, after having been a part of it for thirteen years.

Sincerely,

i_was_one

Date: October 07, 2005 09:19AM

Scientology Staff members were led to believe that one who left Scientology would not do very well in life, as he or she would have committed overts (harmful acts) against the Church. I, as a public Scientologist, was told this on numerous occasions by Staff members.

I, for one, have done much better in life after leaving the Church, finally being able to consistently add to my savings. I expect to have a pretty comfortable retirement. I, like many, lost money after the stock market decline in 2000, but at least I am not pouring money into a never ending series of training courses and auditing sessions like public Scientologists do year after year after until they finally get to where it is they are trying to get to on the "Bridge to Spritual Freedom", or until they are broke, which happens quite often, or until they die.

I spent many thousands of dollars on Scientology. There is no telling how much more I may have spent on it if I were still a member. I was in the movement thirteen years, from 1977 until 1990, when I was permitted to leave the movement, no strings attached, as one who had doubts about Scientology, referred to in the Church as a "condition of doubt".

I would not recommend Scientology to anyone, friend, family, acquaintance or enemy. If anyone recommends Scientology to you, "run, run like the wind".

Sincerely,

i_was_one

Date: October 14, 2005 08:13AM

I have posted three messages re: my time in Scientology. If someone is out there who is also an ex-Scientologist and can affirm basically what I am saying, I would appreciate hearing from you.

I have never had the opportunity to communicate directly with an ex-Scientologist since leaving, as I did not live in the city from which I was taking services. I did not then and still do not live in a Scientology city.

I hope all is well with all who read this.

Sincerely,

i_was_one

Posted by: elena ()
Date: October 14, 2005 09:12PM

Thanks for writing. Every person who leaves or escapes these cults and lives to tell about it provides a valuable service to those others who have done the same or some who might be considering getting involved.

Have you read "A Piece of Blue Sky" or "L. Ron Hubbard: Messiah or Madman?" Both books, incidently, "disappeared" from my local library, but it's easy to find a used copy of both.

I have never been in a cult but I lost a brother to scientology. He has been involved with them on and off for over thirty years. They have sucked every penny from him that they could possibly get out of him. He is in his forties, living in a room in someone else's house, and still giving them money for "treatment" or "counselling" or whatever they call it.

Ellen

Posted by: Toni ()
Date: October 14, 2005 11:07PM

i_was_one
If someone is out there who is also an ex-Scientologist and can affirm basically what I am saying, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Hello I-was-one:

After leaving a long time ago, and now coming forth, it is nice to have your experiences validated by other former-members. This board is here for that. Various cults function more-or-less the same, with their own variations of veneer.

If you click around on Rick Ross' website, and other cult-education websites, you will find more ex-Scientology stories. They abound.

You experience was real. You are strong and inwardly directed (thank heavens!) to have left and moved on. I think it's common for self reflection later on, and a desire to understand just what-the-f**k had happened years ago..

You have willing ears here. Most of us have some pretty bizarre stories, posted throughout this board. You are not alone, even though it feels that way.

Ellen: Sorry about your brother's continued involvement. sigh. My family still cult-involved too. :roll:

I-was-one: Welcome aboard!
t

Date: October 15, 2005 11:58AM

Ellen: Thanks for your comments. It is good to hear from someone who knows about Scientology and also knows that it is not what "the insiders have cracked it up to be".

The "Bridge to Spiritual Freedom", the series of training courses and auditing programs required to reach the top of the Bridge, are tailored so that most people will never reach the top, that way the members that do make a long term commitment will continue to invest money as long as they are in Scientology. And considering the rates they charge for auditing sessions, it is no wonder the Church is very wealthy. And I am sure it has been for years.

I hope your brother will eventually leave the movement.

Sincerely,

i_was_one

Date: October 15, 2005 12:03PM

Hi Toni,

Yes, it was good to get out of it. I had to get up the courage to break away, and was so relieved when they finally "let me", so to speak.

sincerely,

i_was_one

Date: October 15, 2005 12:16PM

Ellen,

I don't know if I have read "A Piece of Blue Sky" and the other article or book that you mentioned, but I have read quite a bit of stuff on Scientology, two or three books over the years, and the "Time Magazine" article, and various other articles.

When you are in Scientology, they try to make you think that the people who leave have committed overts (harmful acts, in some way or another) against the Church, which prompts them to "blow", leave unannounced. I had my share of "blows" over the years, but kept coming back for more.

Thanks for sharing with me about your brother. I am sure if he does eventually leave for good, he will be glad he did.

Sincerely,

i_was_one

Posted by: hipnz ()
Date: October 20, 2005 06:01PM

Hi there... I was one too!
I have been lucky that I have had others I know who left after I did. We laugh and talk about the good old days and the bizzare language, but for most of us, it was terribly painful.
I was in scientology for 20 years, on and off as a staff membr in a Class lV org, slaving away for no $$.
I have now been out for 10 years, and I'm still wading my way thru the "unbrainwashing" process.
Last year my mother, sister and sister in law quietly disconnected, as we'd been found to be reading the OT levels online (much cheaper, and we didnt die of pneumonia like LRH said we would!)
I am very happy to chat with you if you like. I am very aware it is a terribly lonely process.
But otherwise - nice to meet you!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.