My boyfriend grew up in a cult
Date: May 03, 2005 09:22AM

I met my boyfriend about 5 years ago, at a time when he had recently been matched in the unification church. He grew up in this religion and did not choose it for himself. He did not see himself with the girl he was matched to so he started having doubts about his religion. Long story short he left went to college, seperated himself from church friends and started a new life. We live together and everything is great. Recently, while trying to find a career path, he started to get confused on how he wanted to live his life and whether or not he wanted to completely leave the church. Since I would never enter it, he has to make a decision. He is getting back from a 40 day "cult" workshop in Korea and I do not know how to handle him when he returns. What aproach do I take in helping bring him back from the brainwashing he is enduring over there. His older brother has already left the church and is married with a child and besides his immediate family he has his grandma and cousins and aunts who are not in the church. I want to help him and be there for him without seeming like a stalker girlfriend. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
My boyfriend grew up in a cult
Posted by: jewels36305 ()
Date: June 06, 2005 03:59PM

girlfriendofmoonie,

I just read your post. I've heard it is VERY tough to get them after they go to the retreat.

Is he back yet? If he is, how is he doing?

I just started reading a book written by a guy that left the Moonies. His name is Steven Hassan and the book is called Combatting Cult Mind Control.

So far it is very good and helpful. You should read this book. Steven Hassan recommends you read it once or twice before you recommend it to a cult member. I haven't reached this part yet but he says he goes into deprogramming. It sounds like he is specific to the Moonies deprogramming since this is the group he left.

Anyway, check it out and let me know how it goes.

You have to be patient with the process because sometimes it takes a very long time.

Good Luck,
Jewels

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.