Retreats in the UK?
Posted by: SarahLou ()
Date: March 07, 2012 08:07PM

Having done some research, Well Spring Retreat has repeatedly come up as a safe haven for people to turn to for help in dealing with the effects of the abuse they've been under. Are there any such retreats in the UK that anyone knows about? The US seems a long way to go to get help, though I'm very tempted having looked through their webpage and read up about them.

Or are there any resources / contacts / web pages people would rec within the UK? I've searched for 'exit counsellors' but to no avail. I am considering therapy but I've read plenty of warnings that it is best to deal with therapists who have knowledge of the psychological abuse cults and abusive churches put upon people. I know to look for therapists who deal with abusive relationships, but I'd like to know if there are proffessionals out there who deal with this particular issue and closer to home (Ie within the UK not the US). Even looking for a therapist is a big step for me and not something I'm rushing into, but I know there are things I need to deal with and I know I can't deal with them alone or even within my close group of friends who have gone through the same thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Retreats in the UK?
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: March 07, 2012 09:49PM

See [www.cultinformation.org.uk]

This is one resource within the UK.

Posted by: Philthesailer ()
Date: June 04, 2012 09:46PM

I have worked with children and young adults in Britain and the USA and over the years have found few groups that have opened up their doors and hearts to people who need this kind of help and service. Most have been in the volunteer sector and have been starved of funding resulting in the frustration of their owners and management. Ten years ago it was costing $4,000 a week to keep a young person in 24 hour look up, in the private sector
$1,200. During the six years we had two students use the center, they spent one year before being taken back into full care.

Posted by: judith ()
Date: December 23, 2012 06:33AM

this group still advocates christian churches and i can't cope with that just now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.