First Look: Surviving Straight Inc.
Posted by: webdiva ()
Date: March 16, 2011 07:30AM

Hopefully this isn't considered promotion, just trying to get the word out.

10 years ago I posted an article online about my brother and his experience with Straight Inc. an abusive cult rehab started by the Sembler's in 1976. He was one of the many who didn't survive.

Over the years I have reconnected with literally thousands of people who went through Straight. Many of us have become friends, we've created our own support group(s) online. About 4 years ago my husband (a survivor of Straight), myself and 2 other survivors discussed the possibility of making a documentary.

In 2008 I connected with a film student at FSU who wanted to make a short film for his class about Straight. I assisted him in his short film and he (now a graduate of FSU) and 3 of his friends are assisting us in our documentary. We now have a full trailer online and the film is due to be done in a few weeks.

I have several hopes for this film:
1. To honor those who are no longer with us
2. To honor those who survived
3. To promote healing among survivors
4. To expose those responsible (Mel Sembler, Mel Riddile, Betty Sembler, Miller Newton, etc.)
5. To raise awareness since we know this problem still exists in the form of AARC (in canada) and many other abusive programs that are currently alive and well in America.

You can see the trailer on the movie site: http://www.survivingstraightincthemovie.com
We also have a Facebook page about it!
And we have the trailer on YouTube!

Feel free to share these links! I'm very happy to be a part of this project. My brother and the countless others who committed suicide because of Straight did not die in vain.

Thanks for reading,
Kelly

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Look: Surviving Straight Inc.
Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: March 19, 2011 07:37AM

How is this "promotion"? You followed the rules for posting to the letter (no personal contact info like name, address, phone, email address/no flaming/no being a jerk).

We all like to see cult/abusive groups get a documentary treatment. Hell, if more people saw this shit there would (hopefully) be less NEW cult members.

Keep the info coming.

Please give us more links on your project, including any critic/film festival reviews you get. Also let us know more of how and where this film can be seen. Have you been getting NEGATIVE reviews/comments online about current members of the group trying to protect the cult?

Date: March 19, 2011 07:52AM

Sparky
How is this "promotion"? You followed the rules for posting to the letter (no personal contact info like name, address, phone, email address/no flaming/no being a jerk).

We all like to see cult/abusive groups get a documentary treatment. Hell, if more people saw this shit there would (hopefully) be less NEW cult members.

Keep the info coming.

Please give us more links on your project, including any critic/film festival reviews you get. Also let us know more of how and where this film can be seen. Have you been getting NEGATIVE reviews/comments online about current members of the group trying to protect the cult?

Thanks Sparky! Much appreciated! :D

Date: April 03, 2011 08:56AM

Update...
We now have several interview clips online:
http://www.survivingstraightincthemovie.com/clips.cfm
Please check them out!

Will definitely keep you updated once we know where the film will be shown, etc.

Thanks!
Kelly

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.